You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

If Alonso leaves then thanks for the memories Xabi but life goes on.

Personally i think Alonso is a superb player but he is not the be all and end all of Liverpool FC.

With his departure planned last season and looking like it will this season it seems certain Rafa is wanting to play a different way and see Alonso as a player we can downgrade on but get the benefit further up the field.

If we can get £25 million out of Madrid then that would get us Barry and £15 million to spend or put towards a forward.

We have the best midfield currently in Europe and yet we will once again be finishing without silverware whereas a midfield containing Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Carrick are continuiing to dominate both the Premiership and now Europe.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Alonso leaves then thanks for the memories Xabi but life goes on.

Personally i think Alonso is a superb player but he is not the be all and end all of Liverpool FC.

With his departure planned last season and looking like it will this season it seems certain Rafa is wanting to play a different way and see Alonso as a player we can downgrade on but get the benefit further up the field.

If we can get £25 million out of Madrid then that would get us Barry and £15 million to spend or put towards a forward.

We have the best midfield currently in Europe and yet we will once again be finishing without silverware whereas a midfield containing Darren Fletcher, Anderson and Carrick are continuiing to dominate both the Premiership and now Europe.

Yes.

Reina is better than VDS and Torres is also better than Rooney. Shall we fuck them off as well then?

Yes we should if we can improve the defence by selling Reina, and improve the wide areas by selling Torres.... ;)

Except the new keeper will still let in more goals than Pepe, and the world class wide players won't have anyone to aim at! Oh fuck it!

Coop, we are losing trophies because of our attack - the midfield is doing its job. I simply do not understand the revisionism on here with regards Xabi. Why must our ideas be formulated by the actions of Benitez?

This makes my head spin.

Rash the point im making is that we can strengthen our attack with the cash from Alonso.

I don't want Alonso to leave and would rather sell Lucas, Babel, Dossena etc to try and raise the cash but if he is going there is fuck all we can do about it but to try and get the positives out of the situation.

From being in a position where we had a team that really began to click, and with great interaction between the players and we only needed the last couple of bits in the puzzle to get to the top, we are now going to take out the heartbeat of the team and take two steps back.

Go figure that.

And by the way: The new argument from Coop and others that there is no need to keep Xabi because United`s midfield is inferior`to us anyway is truly fucking hilarious. And I am not going to explain why - try to think it out for yourselves.

I find it disgraceful the way posters who love Xabi now is being accused of being a part of an anti-Rafa campaign because they express their regret of what seem to be happening.

If we could get 100 million or more for Torres, every day of the week.

haha but if we cant get anyone better than him then what would it matter? We'd be weaker. We currently play with 1 proper striker so why get in a couple of players who aren't as good as him to fill that role?

From being in a position where we had a team that really began to click, and with great interaction between the players and we only needed the last couple of bits in the puzzle to get to the top, we are now going to take out the heartbeat of the team and take two steps back.

Go figure that.

And by the way: The new argument from Coop and others that there is no need to keep Xabi because United`s midfield is inferior`to us anyway is truly fucking hilarious. And I am not going to explain why - try to think it out for yourselves.

I find it disgraceful the way posters who love Xabi now is being accused of being a part of an anti-Rafa campaign because they express their regret of what seem to be happening.

And the zen master said, we'll see.

There is absolutely nothing wrong expressing regret with Xabi leaving. Every Liverpool fan I've ever spoken to loves him, including myself.

It's when people take that feeling of regret and channels it into an emotion driven attack on Rafas personality and judgement, that it pisses some of us off.

I have not said we should sell Alonso and re-read my post i say we should keep him and get the money from elsewhere.

What i am saying is life will go on and the fact the mancs are not as strong as us in midfield but still dominating should be seen as the fact Liverpool wont suddenly implode and become a mid table team.

Go figure that.

It's the hysterical foot-stamping of those who don't want him sold that gets me, as though he's in some way indispensible. Please look at the bigger picture.

I have not said we should sell Alonso and re-read my post i say we should keep him and get the money from elsewhere.

What i am saying is life will go on and the fact the mancs are not as strong as us in midfield but still dominating should be seen as the fact Liverpool wont suddenly implode and become a mid table team.

And by the way: The new argument from Judge and others that we will suddenly become shit without Xabi is truly fucking hilarious. And I am not going to explain why - try to think it out for yourselves.

Is there anyone on this site who actually believes Rafa doesnt want to sell Xabi Alonso.

I think last summer Rafa wanted Xabi gone, but Xabi dug his heels in partly because of the lack of quality clubs in for him.

Xabi then goes onto have a great year and now it's win-win for everyone this summer.

While Benitez, after watching Xabi play a massive part in our season, would be sad to see him go, the prospect of a bigger and better wedge for him will soften the blow.

Equally for Xabi, the prospect of going to a club he'd like to play for and possibly in his home country, softens the blow of leaving Liverpool.

I think it's as simple as that.

Unfortunately there's lots of people around, on here particularly, who want to spin it in other directions and use this as an opportunity for a bit of Rafa bashing. But they weren't banking on Bascombe's (of all people) article.

The way i see it we've got 5 (at the most) genuinely class outfield players who would challenge for a place in any side in the world. Alonso is one of them. For my mind if we want to improve we need to keep them and and some more if we want to make the next step up. Even if we get 20m for him we'll only have to spend that on another 20m player to replace the quality we'd lost.

I was hoping we'd genreate the extra funds by getting rid of some of the players who clearly aren't good enough from a squad that's much too big considering the lack of strength in depth it offers us.

That's essentially why i dont want him to go although my last few posts have just been in response to the suggestion that because we're stronger than the mancs in one position then that position probably doesn't matter very much. Unless there saying we're better off with 2 £10m players of less quality that we can rotate more, which would be even better.

Say we sell Alonso for 20 million and buy Barry for 10 that leaves us with arguably a weaker midfielder and 10 million less for a top class player in the final third. I would rather Rafa spend the whole of the budget on one world class player than do that, quality not quantity is needed now. I wouldn't have a problem barry coming in after we have signed another match winner.