You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Who, Stalin?

Are you looking for a defender or an overlapping/attacking right back?

Ah yes, that much-noted economist, Joseph Stalin...

Personally, I'm not dogmatically committed to a more defensive or attacking fullback, as long as he has basic defensive ability. I guess with Kuyt, however, we need some attacking intent. Off the top of my head, as a realistic target, I like Miguel from Valencia.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crap source (Daily Mail) but not the first time we've been linked with this guy:

Liverpool hope to complete the £5million transfer of Javier Saviola from Real Madrid next week.

Rafa Benitez is keen to sign the Argentina international nicknamed the Rabbit who joined Madrid on a Bosman free from Barcelona two years ago.

The 27-year-old, who has scored 12 goals in 44 internationals, has struggled to establish himself at the Bernabeu and has been told to vacate the No 9 shirt, which will be worn by Cristiano Ronaldo next season.

Ronaldo, on the verge of completing an £80m transfer from Manchester United, has already trademarked 'CR9' for marketing purposes.

Saviola, who has Spanish citizenship, will have even fewer chances with Madrid following the arrival of Kaka and Ronaldo and would offer Liverpool more options in attack.

Madrid intend to offload up to 10 players to accommodate and help fund a spending spree that could reach £260m.

The Spanish giants want to sign Xabi Alonso and, after meeting resistance from Liverpool, may offer Saviola as part of a renewed bid for the 27-year-old.

Alonso also interests Manchester City, but Benitez insists he is going nowhere.

I've not been on here that much lately so i'm not sure if there's been much discussion about Barry's move to City. I read his comments from yesterday and think it's interesting that he was basically saying that he went to City because they came in for him straight away and made him feel wanted.

Barry was our top target so why did we not make a move for him straight away? We always hear that we need to, 'act quickly', in the transfer window but isn't this another example of us losing out on a player because we were too slow?

I'm not that arsed about the player in question but I think it's interesting that we haven't heard any sort of response from the club about this.

I'm saying narrrrthing!

I like Glen Johnson and think we could get him for £10M. These reports of £18M are a load of crap, IMO.

I have to say, I am reasonably okay with that! I quite like him and loan would be perfect to see if he can make the step up and see whether or not he has stagnated at Boro, win win if you ask me! Which I a realise you won't.

I agree with you regarding Johnson, he won't go to Chelsea and Tottenham are a bit steaming pile of doodoo.

all together now!

'we had downing on the wing, we had dreams and s........

Crap source (Daily Mail) but not the first time we've been linked with this guy:

I've always liked Saviola, but we should have signed him years ago.

Potentially great signing if he still has the desire and hunger to prove himself.

I'm not that arsed about the player in question but I think it's interesting that we haven't heard any sort of response from the club about this.

I dont think we wanted him tbh. Rafa was trying to get rid of Xabi last season and was going to replace him with Barry. This season Rafa has said that Xabi is not going anywhere. Obviously we will have to wait to see what Xabi has to say about all this, but I am of the opinion that he will still be here on 01/09/09, hence we didnt go back in for Barry.

Now that Parry's not doing the negotiating, why would we pay £5 million for Saviola when his contract's up? Unless Rafa was trying to highlight to Madrid exactly how much Alonso will cost.

I've always liked Saviola, despite all available evidence, and with his pedigree I suppose there's no such thing as a bad free transfer.

Apart from Voronin. And Degen.

He simply wasn't good enough for Chelsea. Granted he was young, and I understand the English factor and the dearth of talent in his position, but he isn't good enough for us, in my opinion, and the prices quoted are ridiculous. He's decent going forward and questionable at the back; no more than that.

I think the crucial thing is he was just 18 or 19 when he went to Chelsea. Far too young really, he should have stayed at West Ham and gained more experience, afterall he'd played half a season in their first team before moving on. Back in those early days, it was his defending that was good, his turn of pace the raw natural ability. He seems to have swung that around now being known not for his defending but his pace.

I think 15m sounds ridiculous for a RB, but if thats what they cost as he's english and young etc then thats what he costs and Im not sure we shouldnt be reinforcing elsewhere at that price, but that said, his crossing on Wednesday looked pretty good and he'd perhaps be some much needed width in those home games against the bus.

People should forget fees or how much anyone is worth. If you want a player you have to pay especially if you are one of the biggest and best clubs in the world. Was Carrick worth 18 mil, of course not, but they won the league.

Were Rooney and Rio worth 30 mil, of course not.

Fans need to get with the times, not everyone is a liverpool fan who comes for a pay cut, football is their job. Half the time the so called lfc fans turn out shite anyway.

If we dont have much money then we have to be careful but if we have a spot to fill then we have to pay the necessary. Do we really need an outstanding defensive rb. We need someone who can break down the shit teams, an overlapping , fast, pacey strong player who can also score a goal. Rafa will improve his defensive game anyway. Our defence is quality, we just need an injury free run.

If Johnson costs a lot then so be it, that is football today. If we have a budget then i would obviously walk away but if we were in funds i would pay 15-16 mil for him if needed