You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Poulsen could probably be a better back up player for us than Lucas, unless the Brazilian steps up his game significantly. But there is no way Poulsen could or should (or will) replace Xabi Alonso.

Without knowing Defour, I would assume you to be right about it taking some time to reach Xabi's level for us. It's mostly proven top class players that take to the Premier League from their first go.

I honestly find it hard to come up with any avaible players of that ilk. I miss Xabi already.

Defour is only 21.

I think he's the better option of the young targets (Defour/Martinez) only because Defour looked like more of a battler from what I saw of the two(but I haven't seen much of either really but they both look like damn fine players).

The more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to buying an attacking midfield/second striker and move Gerrard back.

Rafa has to play a blinder if he is to find any other centre midfielder who can go into the team and live up to Xabi's form from last season.

If we sign Darfour in the next 24 hours would it be our most sudan signing ever?

PR Consultant: Is there something that you, like, that you believe in, like...

Brüno: Well, I'm really into issues.

PR Consultant: Yeah. Global warming's only getting worse, so...

Brüno: Great!

PR Consultant: That would be, that's something to get involved now, so... we can just help East, uh, Africa in order to help for our future in order for everyone... that's a beneficial thing to be involved with now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Apparently TalkSport has said that Juve have confirmed that they are negotiating with us over the signing of Poulson.

Damn shame if we don't also get Aquilani or Defour.

The more I think of it, the more I'm inclined to buying an attacking midfield/second striker and move Gerrard back.

Rafa has to play a blinder if he is to find any other centre midfielder who can go into the team and live up to Xabi's form from last season.

Gerrard would be a step up from Xabi due to his mobility and bone crunching tackles.

The big question is... Who the fuck can realistically replace Gerrard for £30m? That doesn't buy you much in the attacking bracket these days.

if we play like we did from madrid onwards i am happy to put a more attacking player next to masch even if they are not as good as xabi.

I think we need to up the tempo and the pace and move away from the over reliance on the slow continental style, and step away from the patient barca style play as in the prem you are met with static defences, we can save the chess for the cl and Rafa's tactics get us through and we know he can cope with lesser players in europe.

If Poulsen is bought as a replacement for Xabi (and not for Lucas), then I think we can draw our own conclusions about where the rest of Real's money will be going.

I'm not worried about the yanks pocketing it - it's just not going to happen as:

A: 30 million quid is small change compared to their debt anyway.

B: That would surely make Rafa walk (I'm sure he has got all kinds of clauses in that 567th contract draft of his), and I have a feeling they don't want that.

I more worried about Rafa spending it on a second choice right back and a fourth choice centre half, to be honest :whistle:

Regarding Poulsen, he turned down a loan move to Fulham a few weeks ago. If we could get him on loan for the season then it would be a decent signing, as we lack any experienced cover at central midfield. He's also primarily a defensive midfielder, and after Mascherano, our next defensive midfielder option is Plessis.

Regarding Poulsen, he turned down a loan move to Fulham a few weeks ago. If we could get him on loan for the season then it would be a decent signing, as we lack any experienced cover at central midfield. He's also primarily a defensive midfielder, and after Mascherano, our next defensive midfielder option is Plessis.

A bit of sense at last. If we assume Aquilani is the main target & he won't be fully fit until October , would you want to go into the season using 2 out of Masch , Lucas & Jay/Plessis ?

While not an 'edge of the seat ' signing , Poulsen is a solid , competent , cheap international defensive midfield player ( he reminds me of Didi a bit )who would add another squad member who could be relied on.

Was he the guy who tried to attack the diabolical Athens referee in that Scandy World Cup game ? If so , I'm warming to him already.

On that basis alone sign him.

Just been watching some Poulson vids on youtube, i dont think we are going to win any friends with him in the team seems a right dirty bastard.

Is he any good at it though? Is he the intimidating type a la Souness or the sneaky, snidey type?

Poulsen is utter shit and far behind Lucas and Spearing in quality, so i don`t believe in this rumour.

That's a bit odd , Judge.

Poulsen is an experienced international who has won UEFA Cup & European Supercup winners medals , been Danish player of the year twice , was voted best new foreign player in Spanish football by Marca in 2006 & signed by Juventus last summer for 10 million euros.

Lucas and Jay are young kids who might be good players in years to come.