You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fabien Delph might become a good player in the future, he's just unproven at the moment, you can't really judge a player against teams like Cheltenham, Walsall, Hereford etc etc and say he would better than Lucas or a good replacement for Lucas. It's one thing looking good against the likes of Hereford and Walsall but that's a million miles away from looking comfortable at the San Siro like Lucas did.

I remember Lee Trundle looking like Ronaldinho in the League 1 a few years ago and that fat prick could'nt even handle the step upto the Championship.

Let Aston Villa take the gamble on him and see how he settles into life in the Premier League, we can always take him off their hands a few years later.

Fabien Delph might become a good player in the future, he's just unproven at the moment, you can't really judge a player against teams like Cheltenham, Walsall, Hereford etc etc and say he would better than Lucas or a good replacement for Lucas. It's one thing looking good against the likes of Hereford and Walsall but that's a million miles away from looking comfortable at the San Siro like Lucas did.

I remember Lee Trundle looking like Ronaldinho in the League 1 a few years ago and that fat prick could'nt even handle the step upto the Championship.

Let Aston Villa take the gamble on him and see how he settles into life in the Premier League, we can always take him off their hands a few years later.

On the flip side, I can think of several PL players who would look shit against the hussle and bussle of lower league football. It cuts both ways really. I can't imagine Lucas donning it in the 3rd division either.

Dirty Sanchez - How was I wrong about saying I've seen Delph play for England?

It's not necessarily that you were wrong, it's that you made a bold statement and then couldn't back it up. As soon as you were called on it, you backed down, then said "I'm not getting drawn into this". To everyone else, it looks like your initial statement was either made up or incorrect and you were refusing to quantify it.

as someone pointed out earlier he's played 20mins for the U-21's and a couple of matches for the U-19's

I think TT may have been mistaken as to where he's seen him play but he's a decent enough player, as someone else said lets see how he does at Villa and get him later if needs be

I wonder when was the last time SpeedyG posted some opinions of his own not meant to attack another poster for the sake of an petty argument?

Might have been that Lucas thread where you tried your "sorry to break it to ya from all the up here on my high horse" line.

Or it could have been that thread you began yesterday about the pre-season summary where you asked some questions, priming for a rafa-bashing that i nipped in the bud.

Or it could have been the thread about the commercial aspects of the tour of Asia.

Or etc.

Get the picture? Now run along and do better research next time (correction for the confirmation bias is still top of the list of things to address BTW).

I think we should be looking at established internationals than championship players.

We do both. Fact is all our lower league recruitment is done at the academy level. Amoo, Ecclestone, Wisdom etc. It's rarer these days that players make it through to the first team before being noticed by the big clubs and those that do are going for money that could be spent with arguably less risk on as you say established internationals.