You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where are the good young English players?

Section_31

Watching some of England last night, I realised Rooney is still considered the best young player in the national setup - but he's 23.

Yet I look around the league and I don't see anyone of top-class caliber under 20 anywhere.

Seemed like the premiership had 'wonderkids' coming out of its arse years ago, now I can only really think of Walcott.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick search brought up this. From Nov 2008.

Top 20 Future England Football Stars

Jose Baxter Age 16 1.79m / 5.9ft.

74kg / 162lbs Striker .

Everton

Said to be better than Wayne Rooney at 14. Bootle-born, he left school last summer and joined the Everton first-team squad that toured Switzerland and the US. Made his competitive senior debut with a substitute appearance at home to Blackburn in August, becoming Everton’s youngest first-team player.

Mark Beevers Age 18 1.85m / 6.1ft.

80kg / 176lbs Defender .

Sheff. Wed

Last season’s supporters’ player of the year at Hillsborough, the centre-half has signed a contract to keep him at Wednesday until 2012. He stands 6ft 4in tall, is deceptively quick across the turf and strong in the air, and has already attracted interest from Premier League clubs.

John Bostock Age 16 1.79m / 5.9ft.

67kg / 147lbs Midfielder .

Tottenham

Crystal Palace’s youngest player when he made his debut at 15 years 287 days last season before his controversial summer move to Spurs for an initial £700,000. Tall, elegant and visionary, the attacking midfielder became Tottenham’s youngest player, at 16 years 295 days, against Dinamo Zagreb.

Nathan Delfouneso Age 17 1.85m / 6.1ft

78kg / 171lbs Striker .

Aston Villa

The 6ft 1in Birmingham-born striker made his first-team debut earlier this season in the Uefa Cup against Hafnarfjorour and scored a hat-trick on his first appearance for the England Under-17s in October 2007. A regular in reserve and academy sides, for whom he has been a prolific scorer.

Fabian Delph Age 18 1.74m / 5.7ft.

60kg / 132lbs Midfielder .

Leeds Utd

Ken Bates laughed off Newcastle United’s £1m bid for a dynamic talent currently not only making his mark in League One but who has just broken into Stuart Pearce’s England Under-21 squad. Arsenal and Manchester United are also seriously interested, but his value has risen closer to £6m.

Daniel Drinkwater Age 18 n/a Midfielder .

Manchester Utd

Two-footed and boasting a fine passing range, Drinkwater has been with the club since he was nine. The young Mancunian’s progress was hindered by injury last year, but he remains highly regarded and is an England Under-19 international who looks likely to grace the Premier League.

Jordan Henderson Age 18 1.82m / 6.0ft.

67kg / 147lbs Midfielder .

Sunderland

An elusive right-sided midfielder or deep-lying forward, and equally happy in the hole or drifting wide right, the Wearside-born Henderson caught the eye of England’s leading clubs during Sunderland’s run to the FA Youth Cup semi-finals last season. He made his first senior start against Blackburn last night.

Gavin Hoyte Age 18 1.80m / 5.9ft.

71kg / 156lbs Defender .

Arsenal

Younger brother of the former Arsenal full-back, Justin, the defender joined the club at nine and has proved quick, athletic and astute both at right-back and centre-half. A regular with the England Under-19s and in Arsène Wenger’s Carling Cup side that enjoyed wins over Sheffield United and Wigan.

Henri Lansbury Age 18 1.83m / 6.0ft.

75kg / 165lbs Midfielder .

Arsenal

Strongly built and powerful yet creative on the ball and a goal threat, the England Under-17 midfielder has been at Arsenal since he was nine and has recovered from the glandular fever that frustrated his progress in the second half of last season to feature in the Carling Cup this term.

Josh McEachran Age 15 n/a Midfielder .

Chelsea

N/A A skilful left-footed midfielder whom Chelsea have retained despite persistent interest from Manchester United. He can play on the left or right and has already impressed Luiz Felipe Scolari at Stamford Bridge as he furthers his development in the youth sides. Has been captain of the England Under-16s.

Jacob Mellis Age 17 n/a Midfielder .

Chelsea

The England Under-19 international signed from Sheffield United in the summer of 2007 and has since been employed everywhere from attacking midfield - scoring twice against Liverpool reserves recently - to full-back and centre-half within the Chelsea academy set-up.

Victor Moses Age 17 1.78m / 5.8ft.

72kg / 158lbs Forward .

Crystal Palace

Born in Nigeria but resident in the UK since he was five, the graduate of Palace’s academy broke into the first-team last season and has since signed a four-year professional contract at Selhurst Park. Strong, skilful and quick, he has maintained his progress this term.

Nile Ranger Age 17 n/a Striker .

Newcastle

The word among Newcastle United’s youth and reserve ranks is “Ranger is the danger”. The prolific striker, spirited north from Southampton’s youth set-up, has sat on the first team bench a few times already this season and is tipped for Shearer-esque scoring feats.

Jack Rodwell Age 17 1.88m / 6.2ft.

72kg / 158lbs Defender / Midfielder .

Everton

Senior debut came as a substitute against Alkmaar at the age of 16 years 284 days, making him the youngest ever Everton player to appear in Europe. A current Under-19 international often compared to Rio Ferdinand, he is strong, quick and assured. Has made eight first-team appearances this season.

Freddie Sears Age 18 1.70m / 5.6ft.

67kg / 147lbs Forward .

West Ham

A run of 25 goals in 24 matches for the youths and reserves forced him into the first-team set-up last season, and it took the striker just five minutes and 16 seconds to score his first senior goal, the winner against Blackburn in March. He has featured regularly this term under Gianfranco Zola.

Jonjo Shelvey Age 16 n/a Midfielder .

Charlton

The club’s youngest player, debuting at 16 years 59 days against Barnsley in April, he had made his mark as a goalscoring midfielder in the youth and reserves set-up at the Valley. He captained the England Under-16s in their 2007 Victory Shield campaign, scoring three goals in as many games.

Danny Welbeck Age 18 1.85m / 6.1ft.

73kg / 160lbs Striker .

Manchester Utd

Skilful, strong and pacy with a prolific scoring record for the United junior sides. Sir Alex Ferguson likens the slightly unorthodox Welbeck to Portsmouth’s Nwankwo Kanu and has said “Danny has marvellous things about him.” An Under-19 international who has trained with the first team.

Aidan White Age 17 n/a Defender .

Leeds Utd

The full-back, who boasts a fine left foot and decent pace, made his debut earlier this season in the Carling Cup defeat of Crystal Palace and was given a standing ovation upon being substituted. He is now making regular appearances in the League One club’s first-team set-up.

Jack Wilshere Age 16 1.70m / 5.6ft.

60kg / 132lbs Midfielder .

Arsenal

Eye-catching performances in the Carling Cup this season and Arsenal’s youngest league debutant, at 16 years 256 days, when he came on against Blackburn in September. He scored his first senior goal in the 6-0 rout of Sheffield United and had a fine game against Wigan on Tuesday.

Michael Woods Age 18 1.82m / 6.0ft.

79kg / 173lbs Midfielder .

Chelsea

Plucked from Leeds United’s academy, much to the Yorkshire club’s frustration, the England Under-18 international made his first-team debut at Chelsea in January 2007 at 16 years 275 days. Scolari called the defensive midfielder up for last night’s Carling Cup tie against Burnley at Stamford Bridge.

This is the current Under 21 squad (Which includes several players aged 22 or above, Milner is 23)

TheFA.com - Latest Squad

None of them are setting the world alight in the Premier League. It really does look a weak squad. I've no idea who's coming through in the teams below that, but they look a pretty uninspiring bunch.

I know it's a global game, and for most of us club comes way ahead of country. But the lack of English talent is pretty sad, I almost feel sorry for Capello.

The champions league stats are interesting. There's 4 English teams in the last 8 but there are only 11 English players between them. Why is such a rich footballing nation producing so little?

Andre Wisdom is a potential "wonderkid". He really has everything needed to become a top class player.

Jack Rodwell is a quality player. World class in his age group.

Yeah, Rodwell really is a fantastic footballer. Knew from the first time I saw him that he was class.

Arsenal have the next breed of english kids, i think we have a couple of quality players in spearing and darby and there are a few good kids at boro but there are no real class players about breaking through, I blame N'Gog

Not sure they do, Wilshere is class but most of their other English players (Randall, Lansbury, Gibbs etc) are average.

Looking through the various England squads these are the only ones I rate

U21s - Rodwell - Everton- fantastic all-round footballer

Wheater - Boro- good defender, bit awkward on the ball though

Welbeck - United - very unusual for an English footballer, awkward to play against, very talented

u20s - Sturridge - City - looked like a world class prospect from 16-18 hasn't quite become that yet but could still be a great player

u19s - Wilshere - Arsenal- great all-round footballer

Delfouneso - Villa - a bit like Welbeck, he's awkward and talented, very quick with a knack for scoring goals

Martin Kelly -Liverpool - we all know him

u17s - Jose Baxter - Everton - haven't seen much of him over the last year, he's been injured a lot I think, he looked very good for England u16s though

Louis Laing - Sunderland - looks a very talented CB from Sunderland, playing a year up now, was partnering Wisdom for the u16s earlier in the season

John Bostock -Spurs - very talented lad, plays a bit like Joe Cole. Probably should have stayed with Palace where he'd be playing every week now rather than being in Spurs reserves and youths

Benik Afobe - Arsenal - Like Laing he was playing with the u16s earlier in the season, but he scored that many he's been prmoted, think he got more than a goal a game for the u16s

u16s -only saw the u16s once this season but the two above were the ones who impressed me along with our two lads Wisdom and Robinson.

Problem with these kids is that about 2% of that list will actually make it, the likes of Rooney, Walcott, Owen were always going to make it. Jermaine Pennant was once hailed as one of the world's best wingers for his age group and look what happened to him, same goes for Le Tallec (best player in the world at 16) and Pongolle. We do have to be in the mix for when these players choose clubs and the only way to do that is to ensure our club becomes better at nurturing and coaching young players and giving them a chance in the first team.

I think Rodwell is going to be top class, not sure which position he will be playing in the future though - I remember hearing people big him up as the next great English center half, but he can do a good job in midfield too. There are a few, but none have made an explosive impact on the game yet.

Such as?

Big, Strong, Tall, Fast, Versatile, Can tackle, head, defend etc.. he does seems as though he has the full package.

He's definitely above his age group by a few years. I think he's only 15/16 as well and has already featured in the reserves.

One to look out for.

Problem with these kids is that about 2% of that list will actually make it, the likes of Rooney, Walcott, Owen were always going to make it. Jermaine Pennant was once hailed as one of the world's best wingers for his age group and look what happened to him, same goes for Le Tallec (best player in the world at 16) and Pongolle. We do have to be in the mix for when these players choose clubs and the only way to do that is to ensure our club becomes better at nurturing and coaching young players and giving them a chance in the first team.

However nowadays you let other clubs do the hard work and buy the finished article like rooney and walcott which you referred to above. It would be ideal to have more youth coming in but that means blooding players and sacrificing points so you have to be exceptional to make it through to the first team.

however if you dont have the money to buy the finished article you are pretty stuck unless an exceptional player comes through or you unearth a prodigy somehow as there is not really an opportunity to give youth a chance in a top team

This is the current Under 21 squad (Which includes several players aged 22 or above, Milner is 23)

TheFA.com - Latest Squad

None of them are setting the world alight in the Premier League. It really does look a weak squad. I've no idea who's coming through in the teams below that, but they look a pretty uninspiring bunch.

I know it's a global game, and for most of us club comes way ahead of country. But the lack of English talent is pretty sad, I almost feel sorry for Capello.

The champions league stats are interesting. There's 4 English teams in the last 8 but there are only 11 English players between them. Why is such a rich footballing nation producing so little?

Call me a cynic, but how many kids do you see out playing footy at all times, in all weathers in any flat enough space as you did years ago? You don't, do you? They're all inside and the closest many of them get to playing footy is ona PS3 - add to that the fact that PE in schools has been squeezed by ever increasing National core curriculum bollocks and remind yourself which country has the fattest, unfittest kids in Europe.

There's at least a good slice of your answer.

Call me a cynic, but how many kids do you see out playing footy at all times, in all weathers in any flat enough space as you did years ago? You don't, do you? They're all inside and the closest many of them get to playing footy is ona PS3 - add to that the fact that PE in schools has been squeezed by ever increasing National core curriculum bollocks and remind yourself which country has the fattest, unfittest kids in Europe.

There's at least a good slice of your answer.

Which is why the Spanish and the S. Americans will rule football forerever now. You are 100% correct and its the reason why the Aussies are so good at all sport. Kids don't play on the street or the park anymore, back in the day we used to play on the street every night after Neighbours ;) often in the dark and then all day at weekends. The little runts are playing computer games now or up town acting twats.