You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WORLD'S WEALTHIEST CLUBS BY REVENUE

Guest simon

They'd still sell. Do you think the 56,000 on the waiting list wouldn't be prepared to take the place of those who relinquish their tickets?

Season ticket prices have already rocketed in recent years, by as much as 10-15% in most seasons.

The season ticket waiting list has been done to death and in the current economic climate it would be interesting to see how many would take a season ticket at the current price.

As for the increase in prices, I think the club are already pushing that to the limit.

Hermes, you're quite correct, but most companies, especially those inexorably tied to a geographical area like sports teams, tend to have at least a modicum of ethical consideration for their customers. In our case, this includes not elevating ticket prices beyond what the majority consider reasonable.

I am sure there is somesort of law (FA and maybe even legal) about it, I remember hearing about it. I will try and look that up.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some reason football clubs don't follow one of the basic rules of economics, which is that as long as you are selling everything you produce (match tickets) you should be increasing the price to the point where you are no longer selling everything that you produce.

Anfield ticket prices should be at least 25% more than they are currently.

Correct in the main. A number of clubs do this by having high ticket costs. Anfield is generally sold out for games to all intents and purposes. We could theoretically substantially increase our ticket costs until attendance dips then, you know you've reached the current ceiling.

But then, we'd have some people complaining at the high cost so, the club cant win. Another area where we miss out massively is in 'corporate entertainment.'

With our limited number of boxes, this limits our real income from corporates. By that I mean companies will pay top dollar (scuze the pun) compared to our other offerrings of a meal and scoff in other parts of the ground.

If prices had reason at the rate of inflation between 1974 and 2009, you would now be paying £4 to get into the Kop. That's how much ticket prices have already risen and people were prepared to pay.

You just gave me a blast from the past there with the ticket prices.I remember as a 14yr old going to the Bayern Munich home game in 81.

Paying to get in the kop and handing in cant remember if it was £1.50 or £1.80 in pennies and two pence pieces.The guy on the turnstile was going crazy saying he didnt have to accept all them 1s and 2 pence pieces.

He did though,but the people in line behind me were going nuts to,because of the hold up I had created while me and the guy on the turnstile counted all them copper pieces.

The innocence of youth.

How the fuck do Chelsea make more than us, seriously?

We probably have ten times as many fans around the world than they do?

Ticket prices are at least 50% higher. I think the revenue from Chelsea Village is also included.

Their outgoings are massively higher though so they'll still make a massive loss each year. They'd be bust if abramovich wasn't underwriting their losses every year.

Overseas merchandising doesn't actually bring that much cash in.

Especially as most fans buy said merchandise from non-LFC outlets anyway. We don't make a bean if someone buys a shirt from JJB sports or the Japanese equivalent. And in a lot of the countries where we're popular we're talking about hugely inferior economies. The average supporter in Thailand for example wouldn't dream of paying £50 for a Torres home shirt.

No overseas fan would risk trying to buy something from our online store either, why waste your time when everything is out of stock anyway?

Especially as most fans buy said merchandise from non-LFC outlets anyway. We don't make a bean if someone buys a shirt from JJB sports or the Japanese equivalent. And in a lot of the countries where we're popular we're talking about hugely inferior economies. The average supporter in Thailand for example wouldn't dream of paying £50 for a Torres home shirt.

No overseas fan would risk trying to buy something from our online store either, why waste your time when everything is out of stock anyway?

That can't be true. We make money from every official club product sold surely?

That can't be true. We make money from every official club product sold surely?

Nope. JJB etc buy them from adidas, not us. We make money out of the licensing and obviously get a better deal with adidas as a result of their being bigger demand but the best way to support the club is to buy direct.

Guest ShoePiss

I wonder when Kenyon is actually going to be judged on his promise to make Chelsea self sufficient within 3 years? Pretty sure this was a statement he made in 2004.

Nope. JJB etc buy them from adidas, not us. We make money out of the licensing and obviously get a better deal with adidas as a result of their being bigger demand but the best way to support the club is to buy direct.

But Adidas give us money to put our crest on the products so therefore we are making money from it. There must be some sales percentage related deal in it.

Ticket prices are at least 50% higher. I think the revenue from Chelsea Village is also included.

Their outgoings are massively higher though so they'll still make a massive loss each year. They'd be bust if abramovich wasn't underwriting their losses every year.

There was a breakdown of Manure's income a couple of years ago and it showed that overseas merchandising only brought in 330K!!!!

Presumably, the vast majority of merchandise is sold to people who don't attend games.

Makes you feel queasy saying it, but Hermes's original point was right - if the club want to maximise their revenue, they should be pushing ticket prices as hard as they can, until they reach a point where numbers are hit. In terms of merchandise, any boycott by a few thousand fans wouldn't scratch the surface. More dangerous would be the negative PR generated - if Liverpool was no longer perceived as a "club for the fans", then sponsors might not be so keen to be involved.

Presumably, the vast majority of merchandise is sold to people who don't attend games.

Makes you feel queasy saying it, but Hermes's original point was right - if the club want to maximise their revenue, they should be pushing ticket prices as hard as they can, until they reach a point where numbers are hit. In terms of merchandise, any boycott by a few thousand fans wouldn't scratch the surface. More dangerous would be the negative PR generated - if Liverpool was no longer perceived as a "club for the fans", then sponsors might not be so keen to be involved.

Once the new stadium is in place you'll start hearing about "tiered pricing" more and more.

This is a dangerous path to follow, as the atmosphere at the stadium would also certainly drop as the working classes and locals would be replaced by more wealthy individuals and their girlfriends aso, as well as more OOT's and daytrippers who does not know the history and culture of the club well enough, as well as not retaining the same emotion and intensity, to replace the locals who are driven away....

The day our atmosphere is no longer envied and admired is the day our club is no longer special.....

BTW - This is a OOT's point of view..... I spend a fortune every year comming across to Liverpool or to away games, and I do sing my heart out every single time, but without the local fans taking leading the way it simply would not be the same....

Without local support and the working classes of Liverpool our support and atmosphere would not be world famous, and I would rather try to create revenue in other ways (or adjust with a little less revenue/profit) than to force even more of our own locals out of the stands and into the pubs........

Hermes is right.

There are plenty of non supporters (OOters) who would pay the extra 25% to get to games, but at weekends. A small amount on top of travel costs (in comparison) would be worth it.

It's the midweek games that would suffer and have to be priced differently.

Hah, revenue lists are quite useless, Chelsea has reported a lost of £66M for the last year with RA taking on the debt again. Bad news is that he's converted all that loan into shares in the club. Good news is that if RA ever goes insolvent, the club automatically goes into administration.

They also did better in every competition last year.

But, but, Man United are "the biggest club in the world"!

They haven't won the most trophies. They don't make the most money. They don't have the biggest stadium. And they don't have the most fans.

Apart from that though, they're biggest club in the world. Definitely.