You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The great Joe Calzaghe retires.

Guest simon

He's decided to earn a living away from the Ring by punching cans open. You may still realise your dream of seeing Joe in action.

I always wanted to go and watch one of his fights. I'm gutted.

RIP Joe 'to toe, blow to blow' Calzaghe.

He trains by hauling cars around but if a babboon in the safari park did that it would be shot on the spot so in a way, I suppose I'm glad he's going to stop setting such a bad example to them.

Racist, he wasn't that slow, poor Phil.

Great, great fighter. I'm glad he's going out at the top. I'm sure Hopkins will call him out tno doubt, hopefully Joe will laugh it off. He's already beat him (say what you want it was close, yes, but at the end of the day Joe won in Hopkins' own country).

Well timed retirement & hope he doesn't get the itch to come back later.

Very few top fighters go out with perfect records ( I can only think of Marciano & Mayweather Jr )

Debate will rage over his status in the boxing firmament however , and I personally don't think he had enough fights with good fighters at their peak ( Some due to very careful matchmaking & some down to timing issues as he just missed the golden era of British super-middleweights ) to be a 'legend'. Definitely hovering around the top 10 of British fighters though.

Well timed retirement & hope he doesn't get the itch to come back later.

Very few top fighters go out with perfect records ( I can only think of Marciano & Mayweather Jr )

Debate will rage over his status in the boxing firmament however , and I personally don't think he had enough fights with good fighters at their peak ( Some due to very careful matchmaking & some down to timing issues as he just missed the golden era of British super-middleweights ) to be a 'legend'. Definitely hovering around the top 10 of British fighters though.

So what were Eubank, Reid, Sheika, Lacy, Kessler and Hopkins then?

Who did he miss out on? A peak Jones? Calzaghe called him out a shit load. Sven Ottke? Calzaghe would have fucked him right up.

Definitely challenging for the greatest ever Brit fighter title.

Who did he miss out on? A peak Jones? Calzaghe called him out a shit load. Sven Ottke? Calzaghe would have fucked him right up.

Agree with that 100% just hope he ignores and laughs off the invietable call outs from Hopkins and Froch the latter actually thinks Calzaghe is running scared of him.

Don't get me wrong Remmie I have great respect and admiration for Joe and his performance against Lacy was in my top 3 British all-time best , but I think there is a distinct feeling that he allowed his career to drift during the middle period when he was potentially at his best and his management was happy to use him like a servicetill to keep getting cash from every 6 months or so without any quality control of opponents.

Lacy & Kessler - great performances

Eubank - good performance against a fighter past his best.

Sheika - good performance against decent opponent

Hopkins - I think he lost

Reid - Didn't Joe struggle against Robin who I have never thought was absolute top class ?

Don't get me wrong Remmie I have great respect and admiration for Joe and his performance against Lacy was in my top 3 British all-time best , but I think there is a distinct feeling that he allowed his career to drift during the middle period when he was potentially at his best and his management was happy to use him like a servicetill to keep getting cash from every 6 months or so without any quality control of opponents.

Lacy & Kessler - great performances

Eubank - good performance against a fighter past his best.

Sheika - good performance against decent opponent

Hopkins - I think he lost

Reid - Didn't Joe struggle against Robin who I have never thought was absolute top class ?

I don't think he allowed his career to drift at all, I think Frank Warren did. Sure he missed out on some fights but so do most fighters. I also thought Hopkins won their fight but it was very, very close.

I don't think he allowed his career to drift at all, I think Frank Warren did. Sure he missed out on some fights but so do most fighters. I also thought Hopkins won their fight but it was very, very close.

You're right Remmie , I should have made that clearer.

ps How thick am I

- I watched the Darchinyan v Arce fight this morning , not having seen either fight before , saw 'Ruben' on one of their trunks , assumed this must be Jorge Arce & basically spent the whole fight wondering why Darchinyan was nowhere near as good as he was cracked up to be , before realising he was the excellent one who won the fight at a canter.

Quality fighter, it is not his fault he just missed out on the Benn, Eubank and Watson era. He could surpass marcianos record as there is no one out there who could beat him but if he wants to call it a day then fair play to him. He is a legend who will deserve his place in the hall of fame.