You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read teh whole shitty thread and the fact is like it or not Bent is miles better than we currently have

This. There's nothing wrong with our football, we just can't put the ball in the back of the net. Bent offers fuck all outside of the box, but is a goalscorer. Seems like an ideal link up to me, as long as the fee isn't something daft.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I think I've described him pretty well personally. You are of course entitled to disagree if you want to.

I'm fairly comfortable with my video evidence, to be honest.

This. There's nothing wrong with our football, we just can't put the ball in the back of the net. Bent offers fuck all outside of the box, but is a goalscorer. Seems like an ideal link up to me, as long as the fee isn't something daft.

Read what Digger says, to get the best out of a striker like Bent we'd have to play far more direct.

We don't play a direct style of football. We need another striker who has good movement and can play between the lines, not a goal hanger.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Your video "evidence" completely supports my argument

Apart from all of it, you mean. You really do talk some utter bollocks at times, Zig. Still, that's not a crime. I find you not guilty.

Flippancy aside, Keane never seemed like a Liverpool player, and most definitely, Bent is far less so.

Funny how an internet rumour catches fire to the extent that some here are talking about it in the future tense, as if it will happen, rather than in the conditional tense, in which it may or would happen.

Wouldn't exactly be doing cartwheels if we signed him but I wouldn't be as dismayed as some people on here. His overall game seems pretty poor but he has had a decent scoring record wherever he's played - even at Spurs he seemed to have a reasonably good scoring record for the amount of games he actually started. Villa wouldn't let him go on the cheap though and it would be a case of another 20 million or so for another player who is far from top class. If he scored a decent number of goals and we qualified for the champions league he would just about justify that fee. We either go for a signing like Bent or a promising youngster. People thinking we're going to get someone of the quality of Cavani or Higuain just aren't being realistic.

Not being funny, like, but since when has Barnes been a trustworthy judge of player or tactics?

Are you familiar with his writings on football? He almost always made a lot of sense. His coaching was perhaps not up to scratch, but his understanding of the game is outstanding.

He's thoughtful and reasonable too. Perhaps that's why you don't see him a lot on tellies, where fire-breathing opinionators prosper.

As as for who values his judgement on player and tactics? Apparently Bobby Robson in 1990. Barnes and Waddles started the whole thing that pushed Robson into playing Wright at sweeper.

Edited by neopulian

We either go for a signing like Bent or a promising youngster. People thinking we're going to get someone of the quality of Cavani or Higuain just aren't being realistic.

Or we give one our youngsters a chance - Morgan, Ngoo or Eccleston.

Or we give one our youngsters a chance - Morgan, Ngoo or Eccleston.

Fair point - we work with what we've got instead of just throwing money at the problem. I'm always hearing how promising some of our young attacking players are but I never see the reserve or youth teams. Do people on the board think any of these are ready to step up?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
haha well you didn't give me much to work with.

It seems you don't need much. You make it up as you go along. Just like when you had a go at people's questioning Kenny's judgement over spending £35m on Carroll, you're making the same appeals to authority now. Boring. Predictable.

Anyway, back to Bent. He represents a significant improvement over Carroll. Faster, better inside and outside of the box, more prolific. However, if he is going to be costly, it'd be wiser, in my view, to go for somebody else. Just as it would have been smart to do in the case of Carroll and Downing, which is what I said before we did the deals for either.

Familiar and repeated story...

Scores a few goals' date=' gets found out/bored/dropped/goes shopping while his team are playing a match... moves on to another team.

Ad infinitum.[/quote']

Yep, that seems to be the long and short of it. Horses for courses though. It would be nice if we had redknapps knack of identifying stopgap players, getting them in to do a job for a season, but I fear we lack the imagination.

Fair point - we work with what we've got instead of just throwing money at the problem. I'm always hearing how promising some of our young attacking players are but I never see the reserve or youth teams. Do people on the board think any of these are ready to step up?

No. Not even close.