You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gillett and Hicks (ownership saga)

Antynwa

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I didn't think I'd have to put you on ignore, thought you'd have sprinted off by now.

* Goes to UserCP *

Have you ever seen a spaz sprint?

It can take a while to get going

052908_specialolympics.jpg

So, if you want Rafa out if he comes 2nd this season, do you want the next manager to have to win it next season or he gets sacked too? If the new man doesn't finish higher than 2nd then it isn't progress.

Then keep doing that til a manager wins it?

Well no, as we give all our managers plenty of time, hence Benitez still being here after 5 seasons and as of yet no genuine title challenge.

Well no, as we give all our managers plenty of time, hence Benitez still being here after 5 seasons and as of yet no genuine title challenge.

We give managers time if they are progressing. He'd get sacked if we weren't doing well.

Surely appointing a new manager would only be smart if he improved on the previous manager's last season.

Why would you sacked someone who finished 2nd and give another man 4 or 5 years to see if he betters second?

I think he means just a bit more positive attacking play from Rafa. I can't see how anyone can disagree that we are too cautious at times, particularly when playing weaker opposition. Instead of going for the jugular from the start and potentially having the game won by HT, we seem to need to control the play before making an assault on the Oppositions defence.

Then why didn't he say that instead of using stupid tabloid speak?

Regardless of the above, our problem has been not being able to beat teams who park the bus at home.

Our tactics, are more defensive, than attack wise. It's alright when 'frustrating' results only happen once every so often.

However this hasn't been the case. Is it that unreasonable to expect us to be beating at least half of the following teams at home, Stoke, West Ham, Fulham, Hull?

The above results will be the difference between us winning the league and not, we could very well beat United Away, Arsenal at home and still not win the league, thanks to the results we had at home.

I know there are no 'easy' games in the league, but there are runs of games you believe you can win.

The period leading up to the Arsenal game in December should have been our statement of intent, it wasn't, and as time progresses, and I've said this many a time, we will feel the impact of the points being dropped.

If we don't win the league, I expect us to finish 2nd, and if we don't win it the difference will be a win at home to one of the teams mentioned above.

Regardless of the above?

You're the one who said we are a "managerial attitude away from taking the league".

If by 'taking' you meant 'winning', then can you either qualify that or admit it was a ridiculous statement?

We are struggling to beat some teams at home, there's no denying that, but why can't people admit that Rafa's methods (win, lose or draw) must be doing something right seeing as though we have our highest points total at this stage of the season since we last won the league?

Don't get shown up by your kind and Mourinho's won more titles than Rafa so he can say what he likes, he talks the talk and walks the walk.

The only genuinely unexpected achievement was winning the Champions League (depending on your view of Portugese football/UEFA cup).

Porto have won the league 13 of the last 19 occasions since the start of the 90's (Benfica 3x, Sporting 2x, Boavista 1x making up the rest).

Chelsea won the league following the biggest spending spree in the history of football.

Rafa may have 'only' won the league twice but the odds were stacked far higher against him.

Guest Ibetitsme7

1) I think the yanks have finally seen the light re Benitez, seen the added value he brings to the table. The Champions League money he has brought into the club is second to NONE in Europe during his tenure meaning in "value added" terms he is the logical number ONE choice of manager in European football. I strongly suspect they, particularly Hicks, are now terrified of him going as it'll likely significantly reduce the value of the club to potential buyers.

2) in the extremely unlikely event that they are prepared to let him go, they simply won't renew his contract and they'll let him go next summer, or hope he resigns before then. Houllier and his cronies cost around £10m to bin off IIRC. Rafa has more cronies (check LFC TV - what do all these people do ffs?) and is no doubt on more money so we're probably looking at well over £10m to part the ways with the manager in the summer. That's a massive dent either in the 2009 summer transfer budget, or G&H's dividends (haha no chance). Possibly all of it gone on compo. Surely won't happen. Doesn't make financial sense.

3) I think the matchday crowd's views on retaining/binning the gaffer have become an irrelevance. The difference between winning the title and coming second is less than a million quid I believe. If you're our owner, it doesn't make sense to try to outcompete with United (turnover a HUNDRED million more than us) and bottomless pit Chelsea. All they care about is finishing top 4 and getting in the Champions League. Financially, you can understand it. It is odd that 15 months down the line from the Breck Road marching season, the Kop could probably now scream Rafa Out for all they're worth and the owners would turn a deaf one.

I thought there was some new news on Kuwait/ Dubai/ the owners etc.

But no.

We're beyond that now.

I'm afraid we've dwelled into something far more dangerous, and nail biting- If you begin to look beyond the obvious of what you're actually seeing and turn everything on its side, to think beyond the realms of probability and instead wade through the murky see of uncertainty and fear, I think you'll agree we could be verging on something far more sinister.

Rafa cares about the academy and also would never risk a future Gerrard, Fowler or Carragher signing forms for anyone else in the northwest because he is mature enough to put the clubs needs ahead of his own.

He wouldn't risk that happening as he is not that spiteful, Rodwell will turn out to be crap because Rafa was wise, if I was a star in the making I'd sign for Liverpool because it is clear how much Rafa looks after the local players.

Carragher and Gerrard would have got a chance under him, Rafa cares more about the future of the club more than his own needs.

I also love the way like Ferguson he introduces the academy lads into games that are appropriate for experience, ones who make games count instead of ones who think oh well I am bound to get another game in the future regardless of performance.

Rafa's vision is as healthy as Fergusons, as you can see our squad brimming with players like lucas and plessis willing to outfight all the United lads in the future because these players are made of rock and do Liverpool proud.

United must be shitting themselves now, they have Kuyt to contend with in the present against ronaldo on there right so what the fuck are they going to do when Rafa's spite academy break through, especially when stars of the future are queuing up to sign for us ahead of everyone else considering the chances they get here, we will dominate.

Rafa's vision is scary, he will eclipse all trophy wise as he puts Liverpool first. If anyone doubts him dig this post up in a few years to see who was right all along.

Any cunt who disagrees with this statement please enlighten me. Plessis Ngog, Lucas and captain Dirk are the future. Who needs local lads who fuck off elsewhere, lets see how they get on at other clubs compared to Rafa's super spite men. They will save us.

I spent a bit of time browsing YNWA last year. Not sure when it was, but I think it was still last season.

There was someone on there who kept saying things like "degrees of certainty" whenever he was pulled up on how he knew some piece of gossip was fact. I think the degrees of certainty were somehow a link from "How much do I hate/love this person?" and "How bad/good is this rumour".

So if Tom Hicks had been accused of flying the first plane into the World Trade Center/Centre before escaping by parachute, the degrees of certainty would say "YES! He did it!"

If Rafa Benitez had been accused of failing to tip a Spanish waiter, the degrees of certainty would say "YES! How dare he treat his own so badly."

If Robbie Fowler was said to have parked in a disabled space at Asda so he could use the cash machine, the degrees of certainy would say "NO! Robbie would find a normal space first."

Anyway - that was someone I'm sure who was called "Ant". And it was beyond boring. And he had a few bodyguards who would spend the next six pages arguing with anyone who said it was boring, or suggested that "Ant" might want to start listening to what other people actually said, rather than repeating all these stock phrases.

Is that "Ant" the same as "AntYNWA" who recently started trying to take over on here? If it is, why aren't you on YNWA now?

If it's because they kicked you out, or because you couldn't post without getting a load of abuse, is it possible people had a bit of a point?

(I seem to remember the other "Ant" got some slack because his dad was mates with others on there, but I don't really remember the details now).

Interesting. I stopped reading YNWA because of Ant and his old man Kev due to their incessant pessimistic shite taking over any and every thread.

I have started reading it again now that they do not appear to be there.

Antynwa has said nothing wrong and doesn't deserve any kind of witch hunt against him, this place is full of fuckin morons who fling insults at people because they have the gall to say what is correct and speak a few home truths. At the end of the season we should be able to see who was right and who was not.