You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benitez Nightmare XI

silverlining

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Itandje

Josemi

Pellegrino

Palletta

Dossena

Nunez

Lucas

Zenden

Gonzalez

Voronin

N'Gog

I don't reckon you can include Zenden in central midfield, as he was actually pretty good on the rare occasions he played there. As a left winger he was pretty terrible though. Can we not have a really unbalanced team with 4 left wingers? Leto, Gonzalez and Zenden, then add Crouch as no. 4 to keep Silverlining and the people who still bang on about Rafa’s team selection at Reading last year happy.

Few players have epitomised the gap between my optimism and harsh reality better than Mark Gonzalez.

I don't know (or particularly care) if he was great before he joined us, or if he is now having the season of his life some place. When he was with us, he was truly awful.

Away at Fulham, just before Athens, was possibly his worse (and last?) performance. I never lay into players at the game, but I was begging for Benitez to take him off as it was horrible to watch.

Not all of the players in the nightmare XI were supposed to be regular starters in our strongest line up. A fair few of Rafa's 'misses' were either reasonable squad men or sold on for a few bob when we could bring in a clear upgrade. I'm happy with what Rafa has done with the squad over the past two years or so. It's clear to me the signings are, by and large, indicative of him now adopting more of a quality over quantity approach (when in his first few years it was the opposite, hence threads like this).

Swap Gonzales for Leto and you've got some quality hair in that team.

Have you seen Gonzo lately? Not quite a Leto standard barnet, but pretty good nonetheless. A for ability, Gonzalez was much, much worse than Leto, as he was actually supposed to be really good. Leto was always a bit of a punt who might come good.

As for Zenden in the middle, yeah he was better than he was on the left but someone has to fill that place as he's as suitable as anyone.

Rafa, but surely no-one is displacing Itandje from this team, least of all Carson who isn't that bad. He's just not good either.

Depends on how you look at it. Itandje is rubbish, but I can't say I expected him to be any good. However, I am probably judging Carson a bit harshly based on his performances wearing jerseys for teams other than Liverpool.

I thought they were both very ordinary footballers and I didn't like watching them play for Liverpool.

You're such a dick silverlining. Crouch would have won us number 6 if Benitez had played him in the final rather than your poster boy. Crouch is a great player. You are just proving your ignorance again in front of millions (well dozens).

You're such a dick silverlining. Crouch would have won us number 6 if Benitez had played him in the final rather than your poster boy. Crouch is a great player. You are just proving your ignorance again in front of millions (well dozens).

1) Who's my poster boy? Kuyt? The lad who scored?

2) Crouch scored one important goal in his Liverpool career. Which admittedly, didn't have that many goals, or highlights, and didn't once ever reach double figures in the Premiership.

Apart from that, he was great, yeah. I almost wish he was still here, slowing our play up, missing headers, and generally being the worst striker out of any Top Four team.

2) Crouch scored one important goal in his Liverpool career. Which admittedly, didn't have that many goals, or highlights, and didn't once ever reach double figures in the Premiership.

Apart from that, he was great, yeah. I almost wish he was still here, slowing our play up, missing headers, and generally being the worst striker out of any Top Four team.

Nicholas Bendtner:whistle:

Irony

1   /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]

–noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

For example:

Stringvest: "The Dirk Kuyt fanboys make me sick"

Stringvest: "Peter Crouch would have won us number 6"

hahaha dear oh dear.

Which one of the perfect hat-trick against Arsenal are we talking about?

Oh, one minute, you mean the one that put Utd out the cup don't you?

*Repeat to fade*

Irony

1   /ˈaɪrəni, ˈaɪər-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahy-ruh-nee, ahy-er-]

–noun, plural -nies.

1. the use of words to convey a meaning that is the opposite of its literal meaning.

For example:

Stringvest: "The Dirk Kuyt fanboys make me sick"

Stringvest: "Peter Crouch would have won us number 6"

hahaha dear oh dear.

Despite having full access to an online dictionary, Wiiksie still appears to not understand the meaning of irony. And you should only use quotation marks for direct quotes. Imagine the trouble a newspaper editor would get into if that happened.