You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Danny Guthrie gone to the barcodes....

mht1892

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a pity he couldn't break through here. I don't think he's good enough for our first team yet, but he's too good to be left in the reserves. He needs first team football now. I would have preferred to keep him on a long contract and loan him out for more experience but if he's coming to the end of his contract and is not going to sign a new one then we have to sell.

At the end of the day this is what our academy is for. Take the bright local prospects and give them a good footballing education. If they make the first team here then great otherwise the fees we get should be ploughed back into our youth system.

I wish him all the best.

From the Pennant thread

Newcastle, instead, moved to sign another Liverpool midfielder, Danny Guthrie, in a £2.5m deal.

Guthrie, 21, who spent last season on loan at Bolton, becomes Kevin Keegan's second signing of the summer.

That cash, plus the money from Pennant's expected switch and Peter Crouch's move to Portsmouth will help Liverpool's as they try to lure £20m-rated Keane from Tottenham.

Good price.

Guest PaddyBerger15

Yep, 2.5m is about right. Good luck to the lad, hopefully he gets plenty of games up there and trains on, seems like a decent kid.

Reading some comment you`d be led to believe Guthrie set Bolton on fire. He did well, but did`nt manage a goal or an assist in the league. A decent player by all means, but not as good as Lucas, the chief, Alonso, Gerrard and on a level with Spearing and Plessis. £2.5m is a very good deal for us, and gives the player a chance to develop.

He's not better than Lucas. I think Spearing is better than him too.

What makes you say that? I thought Guthrie was far more consistent, and generally better than Lucas last season. I remember he was class against the Mancs too. Spearing has only played reserve team football, so can't compare.

In my opinion Lucus is a better player, Guthrie is a steady consistent player who doesn't do much that catches the eye. Lucas you could say the same for based on his first season but he did show flashes of creativity going forward when he was able to and in the long run hew will turn out to be the better player.

His first season in England and he was thrown into big games like the champions league and held his own comfortably and never looked out of his depth. Plessis also looks very promising from the limited time ive seen him play.

I think Guthrie is a reasonable player, though not quite good enough for us. Hopefully we'll have a clause in the deal, since he may prove to be a £10M+ midfielder if he progresses. As it stands this is a good deal for everyone.

As for Lucas, I think he is a very good player. When he plays he keeps the ball moving really well. His one touch passing is very good. Occasionally he got a bit caught out in possession or muscled off the ball, but he'll add a bit of strength as he matures. There is also a lot more dynamism to his game (if clips of him in action for Gremio are anything to go by). He is more box to box and more of a goal threat than we've seen thus far, but I suspect he has kept his head down and played the percentage pass more often than not while he settles. I expect there will be much more to come from him though.

I think Guthrie is a reasonable player, though not quite good enough for us. Hopefully we'll have a clause in the deal, since he may prove to be a £10M+ midfielder if he progresses. As it stands this is a good deal for everyone.

As for Lucas, I think he is a very good player. When he plays he keeps the ball moving really well. His one touch passing is very good. Occasionally he got a bit caught out in possession or muscled off the ball, but he'll add a bit of strength as he matures. There is also a lot more dynamism to his game (if clips of him in action for Gremio are anything to go by). He is more box to box and more of a goal threat than we've seen thus far, but I suspect he has kept his head down and played the percentage pass more often than not while he settles. I expect there will be much more to come from him though.

I haven't seen anything from Lucas thus far to suggest that he's particularly dynamic, but there's plenty of logic in the fact that he may have kept things simple during his first season.

Everyone knows how infamously physical the Premiership is so hopefully he'll kick on this season and show a bit more.

I'd say the same of Babel as well. Rafa has a lot of faith in those two so i'm hoping they will start to repay him this season.

We'll see very soon if it was a good sale or not

like a lot of players at this club never really given a chance before being shown the door

I wish him well

We need players for the here & now, proven quality, not some lad who might never make the grade.

Good Luck Danny.

It's a good move for Guthrie and for Liverpool (as long as we got 3-4 million for him). he was never going to get near our team if he stayed, he's not better or even as good as the players we have for centre midfield. A number of people on here are saying he's better than lucas, totally disagree with this. Lucas has been capped at international level and has played at the top level for us in the Champions League last year too, no way could Guthrie do this...