You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Oppenheimer 

How did anyone enjoy this mess? 

Just wasted an hour of my life trying to watch this bullshit. Looks like a great film but I can hardly hear half the dialogue because the incidental music is so ridiculously loud. I wondered if it was just me so I looked it up and apparently not. There were lots of complaints. 

"I like to use the performance that was given in the moment rather than the actor re-voice it later, which is an artistic choice that some people disagree with, and that's their right," 

A quote from Christopher Nolan. What a load of crap! A good film ruined by a director who's up his own backside. Wanker owes me an hour of life. 

1 minute ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Oppenheimer 

How did anyone enjoy this mess? 

Just wasted an hour of my life trying to watch this bullshit. Looks like a great film but I can hardly hear half the dialogue because the incidental music is so ridiculously loud. I wondered if it was just me so I looked it up and apparently not. There were lots of complaints. 

"I like to use the performance that was given in the moment rather than the actor re-voice it later, which is an artistic choice that some people disagree with, and that's their right," 

A quote from Christopher Nolan. What a load of crap! A good film ruined by a director who's up his own backside. Wanker owes me an hour of life. 

To be honest I never had that problem, although I understand it was a real complaint with Tenet. Did you see it in a cinema?

• Upvote 1

Oppenheimer is phenomenal.

No issue with the speech either, but then I only watched it in IMax and haven't seen the digital release.

If you're genuinely having issues I'd check your sound settings on the TV see if your TV has dynamic range settings, or if it has an equalizer then play around with that.

Home releases still tend to be calibrated for theatres.

On a related note, are Nolan and (to a lesser extent these days) Tarantino the only remaining directors where releases are events and their names are as, if not more, important than the subject of the film in terms of pulling in viewers?

I'm excluding Scorsese from this because he's bypassed cinema and started releasing direct to streaming (following a limited release in theatres)

3 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

On a related note, are Nolan and (to a lesser extent these days) Tarantino the only remaining directors where releases are events and their names are as, if not more, important than the subject of the film in terms of pulling in viewers?

I'm excluding Scorsese from this because he's bypassed cinema and started releasing direct to streaming (following a limited release in theatres)

Fincher as well, maybe? Although he's kind of diluted his cachet by doing Netflix stuff. Aside from that, probably only Spielberg, Cameron, Peter Jackson, the Coens and Tim Burton have any sort of elevated mainstream recognition.

13 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Fincher as well, maybe? Although he's kind of diluted his cachet by doing Netflix stuff. Aside from that, probably only Spielberg, Cameron, Peter Jackson, the Coens and Tim Burton have any sort of elevated mainstream recognition.

Coen Brothers definitely on a more niche level, and you can probably add Wes Anderson in that.

Cameron, Spielberg, Burton and Jackson were all definitely those years ago less so now.

One I forgot is Denis Villeneuve who should be right up their with Nolan but despite having an incredible catalogue of films doesn't seem to have that audience pull.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Coen Brothers definitely on a more niche level, and you can probably add Wes Anderson in that.

Cameron, Spielberg and Jackson were all definitely those years ago less so now.

One I forgot is Denis Villeneuve who should be right up their with Nolan but despite having an incredible catalogue of films doesn't seem to have that audience pull.

He's one that really grates with me. I absolutely hated Sicario and thought Arrival, Dune and Blade Runner were boring as fuck, and I loved the book/ story the first couple were based on. Even Prisoners, which had me gripped during the first hour just went on into absurdity.

Del Toro, Roman Polanski and Almodovar as other more niche directors? Certainly ones I'd be interested in watching regardless of the film subject matter.

You're why we can't have nice things, I'm blaming you when we get Scary Movie 9 and Fast and the Furious 37, Villeneuve is great.

I liked Sicario but I'm not as high on it as some, Blade Runner 2049 is better than the original, Prisoners and Arrival are both great smaller scale movies.

Dune is the only one I can take or leave but that's possibly a unique situation where it needs to be judged in it's entirety (if we ever get there) and ends up greater than the sum of its parts.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

You're why we can't have nice things, I'm blaming you when we get Scary Movie 9 and Fast and the Furious 37, Villeneuve is great.

I liked Sicario but I'm not as high on it as some, Blade Runner 2049 is better than the original, Prisoners and Arrival are both great smaller scale movies.

Dune is the only one I can take or leave but that's possibly a unique situation where it needs to be judged in it's entirety (if we ever get there) and ends up greater than the sum of its parts.

I don't think I've seen any of the Scary Movies and definitely none of the Fast and Furiouses, so I'm accepting no opprobrium.

Dune really isn't suitable for cinema, it would be far better suited to a TV series (and not the cheapo effort they did a while back). It's incredibly dense with a lot of interlocking parts, and it's not really something that could be given the Lord of the Rings style epic treatment, it doesn't have the massive set pieces that those films did so well. To be fair, I did watch it on a flight back from the US, so I'll give it another chance when it gets to streaming, but I remember thinking half the time that Lynch did it better (until he got to the voice weapons of course, which was risible).

35 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Sicario was excellent. The sequel less so. 

2 hours ago, Mudface said:

To be honest I never had that problem, although I understand it was a real complaint with Tenet. Did you see it in a cinema?

Same complaints with Banes voice in his 3rd Batman film.  Said he wasn’t going to change anything then had too when the criticism became that bad. 

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Celine Sciamma gets me all excited.

The Long Good Friday.

I've never seen this before. I thought the plot was decent but Bob Hoskins simply can't act to save himself. Helen Mirren looked great though & I was chuffed with myself for working out the traitor was Charlie from Casualty without using IMDB.

Maybe the best film I've ever seen for rollneck jumpers, they must've used the wardrobe person from The Sweeney.

6/10

16 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Watching Leave The World Behind on Netflix. Got it on the projector. We shit ourselves with that fucking ship at the start! Mental film so far what the fuck 

Watched it last night myself.

What the fuck was that ending?

Over two hours and it felt like it was an extended TV show pilot with more episodes to come.

Plot holes everywhere, but some parts of a decent film with two things that have always unsettled me in it, the ship being one of them.

Julia Roberts character was just awful, I know she was supposed to be but even so.

A disappointing 5/10, mostly because of that ending

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

The Long Good Friday.

I've never seen this before. I thought the plot was decent but Bob Hoskins simply can't act to save himself. Helen Mirren looked great though & I was chuffed with myself for working out the traitor was Charlie from Casualty without using IMDB.

Maybe the best film I've ever seen for rollneck jumpers, they must've used the wardrobe person from The Sweeney.

6/10

Wow! This is the best British gangster film by a mile. Tough crowd.

32 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Watched it last night myself.

What the fuck was that ending?

Over two hours and it felt like it was an extended TV show pilot with more episodes to come.

Plot holes everywhere, but some parts of a decent film with two things that have always unsettled me in it, the ship being one of them.

Julia Roberts character was just awful, I know she was supposed to be but even so.

A disappointing 5/10, mostly because of that ending

Ive got half an hour left of it that I’m gonna watch later. We were both nodding off and couldn’t last. I’m dreading it if it’s that bad! The ship scene was great especially on the bedroom wall! She’s terrified of ships and the sea so she properly shit herself 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Wow! This is the best British gangster film by a mile. Tough crowd.

It's not exactly got much competition.

Having a guy in the lead role who was acting on the level of a child in a school play didn't help.