You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Mysterious Island - 6.5/10. Took the afternoon off to slob, and found it on Film 4 just in time. Not Charles H. Schneer’s best, but still entertaining. As always, Ray Harryhausen’s special effects are remarkable for 1961.

I remember watching that as a kid and loving it. Would have given it much more than 6.5 at that age.

Harryhausen's sfx for that and Jason and the Argonauts etc was essential viewing in our house.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I remember watching that as a kid and loving it. Would have given it much more than 6.5 at that age.

Harryhausen's sfx for that and Jason and the Argonauts etc was essential viewing in our house.

As a kid I would have to, but watching it again it doesn’t stack up against the inventiveness or magic of Jason or the Sinbad films, which I still love in the way I did as a kid. I do like that they ripped off the Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues.

Zak Snyders Rebel Moon getting pelters. 

Based on his body of work, who’d have thought it would be all style, no substance and mostly shite?

Sick of hearing how WB made a mistake firing from the DC Snyder-verse. Biggest mistake WB made was giving it to him in the first place. He’s another Michael Bay.

Watchmen is good, it would have been better with a better director. 

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

I used to love all that stuff when I was a kid. I couldn't believe it when I found out Clash of the Titans was made in the 80s! 

Got her nephew having a sleepover. 

The Polar Express - 8/10

Cracking kids Christmas film. I'd never seen it before. I was sure I had, fuck knows what I thought I'd seen. 

The Goonies - 9/10 

Forgot how much swearing there was especially at the start, thankfully he kept talking through most of the beginning. Forgot just how good this film was as a kid. I always preferred ET and still do (10/10) but this is a belter. I also never realised that Josh Brolin was the elder brother, fuck knows how that escaped me. Weird seeing him in this considering his performance in No Country For Old Men (10/10) 

• Upvote 1

Leave the world behind - 7.5/10 for most of it. 

Can't figure out how to add spoiler tags so can't say much more, but I thought that started strong, built up well and finished a more than a little flat.

It's a really interesting premise and even at over 2 hours, it felt like they ran out of road and just ended it.

11 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Leave the world behind - 7.5/10 for most of it. 

Can't figure out how to add spoiler tags so can't say much more, but I thought that started strong, built up well and finished a more than a little flat.

It's a really interesting premise and even at over 2 hours, it felt like they ran out of road and just ended it.

I enjoyed it but it could and should have had another hour 

On 04/12/2023 at 17:59, Mudface said:

It's great to have dreams.

On 04/12/2023 at 15:58, John102 said:

Im going to watch Scrooged at some point over next 2 weeks. When they ask what the boat was that took them all to Gilligan's Island, im going to shout out at the TV the SS Minnow and impress my 4 year old. Then ill come on here to give it a 10/0

Scrooged 10/10

That bit did come true.

• Upvote 3

On 15/12/2023 at 16:56, Anubis said:

Mysterious Island - 6.5/10. Took the afternoon off to slob, and found it on Film 4 just in time. Not Charles H. Schneer’s best, but still entertaining. As always, Ray Harryhausen’s special effects are remarkable for 1961.

Ray Harryhausen was the master of special effects. He didn't need any fancy computer wizardry,just a brilliant imagination and an eye for detail.

Bloody Hell- 7/10. Cracking black comedy/ horror with a very likeable performance by Ben O'Toole.  Straightforward story, but very well done.

Saltburn- 9/10. Holy fuck, this was dark. There's not very much that gets me to go, 'Fuckin' hell', in films, there were four scenes in this that did. It's a bit long for what it is, but Barry Keoghan (yet again) and Rosamund Pike are superb. It's also shot in 4:3 which seems really weird at first on a 'normal' 16:9 screen, but it's an inspired choice giving the film a real close up immediacy. Fucking Prescot though.

• Upvote 3

Silent Night - 6/10 (for the last 40 mins). 5 mins of opening action. 1 hour of Joel Kinnerman’s son dying in his arms from a stray bullet in a gang shootout, recovery in hospital, drinking, deciding on revenge and training to become a badass, followed by 40 mins of Punisher War Zone (the only thing missing being the white skull on his Kevlar). Some of the action set pieces and car chases show Woo can still direct action, even though his career has fallen off a cliff.

12 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

The Autopsy of Jane Doe

Don't know why this has passed me by for 7 years but bugger me, the rarest of things, a proper scary horror film. Just before going to bed too. Fuck sake. Really good. 

Yes. It’s very good. Horror done right.

Rebel Moon - 2/10. All shot using Snyder’s trademark sepia toned hues and slowed/normal speed action sequences. 

Things I stole from other films, by Zack Snyder, aged 57. 

1. Orcs from LotR. Just give them blue skin. Nobody will notice.

2. South Africans as bad guys. Just having a South African accent clearly makes somebody an evil, rapist murderer.

3. Back to LotR to steal Bree. A rain soaked, mud infested shithole full of questionable characters.

4. while we’re in Bree, let’s style Charlie Hunnam’s character on Aragorn.

6. Gladiator. Let’s just steal Djimon Hounsou full stop.

7. Star Wars. We’ll just use the Gungans as a template for King Levitica. Right down to the way they speak.

8. MCU. Levitica needs a royal guard. Love those Skrulls.

9.  Next up we’ll Nick The Empress of the Racnoss from Dr Who. We won’t even attempt to disguise it. We’ll just hope the BBC don’t notice.

10. What do you get if you cross Immorton Joe’s boys from Mad Max, with The Ravagers from the MCU. Why, it’s the Bloodaxe twins and their merry men.

11. This is basically the plot of Seven Samurai. Just with a shit script. Shit actors. And boring action sequences. Kurosawa will be turning in his grave.

A risible effort, on every level. God knows how much money Netflix have allowed him to chuck away here.

• Upvote 1