You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

3 days of condor. 

Worlds most handsome man goes out to pick up the sarnies for the office lunch only to come back and find his colleagues have all been massacred. 

As they’re really CIA, somethings afoot and Roberts not taking any chances in hunting down the real killers whilst seeking shelter with a never looked better Faye Dunaway.

Reminds me of the time I worked for a high street bank and went out to get my dinner only to come back to see the branch locked up and a worried public outside. Was allowed back in to discover the local petrol station owners had finally been followed in after doing the weekend collections from the stations, (despite being repeatedly warned by our branch to switch it up and use different branches as they were running to the same schedule every week) and were shocked to discover what a gun in the back of the head feels like. Soft cunts still tried to fight them off as well. 

Gotta admit I felt a bit uncomfortable with the timing of said raid as I was paranoid the finger of suspicion would come my way. Thankfully, the divs who robbed them parked up right under the cctv camera and used his own mothers car without changing the plates etc and were all nicked within a week. 

anyway, I digress.

Solid paranoid thriller

7.5 out of 10

• Upvote 4

The Burning. Classic early 80s slasher featuring a summer camp and a caretaker who is horrifically burned in a prank gone wrong. He comes back years later to terrorise a new group of horny teenagers at summer camp with a set of garden shears! Does exactly what it says on the tin. I’ll give it 8/10 but I’m probably being a bit generous due to the nostalgia of watching this as a kid. 

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Why does it bother you though? Why is a black parent "box ticking"? 

If more diversity in childrens movies/programmes normalises different ethnicities/sexual orientations helps create a more accepting and less xenophobic/bigoted society in the future then I'm all for it.

Seriously, imagine being someone who watches a kids disney movie and is arsed what colour the mum is and immediately thinks "box ticking".  

To answer your question "why though?" in a planet already immersed in hate and prejudice, the last thing it needs is people complaining about diversity in kids films. I personally think it's pathetic. 

Well, you should probably get annoyed by "box ticking" then, because instead of having proper roles for diverse characters, the film studios shoe-horn in a minor character, or one scene and then say, "look at us supporting diversity", when they really aren't at all.

It's basically the equivalent of companies all posting shit on twitter about supporting human rights in light of the Qatar World Cup, whilst still making stuff in factories where kids have to work 20 hour shifts and have no rights whatsoever.

Anyway, have not seen the film @Mook is on about so I might be talking bollocks and I liked the black lady dwarf in Rings of Power.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Well, you should probably get annoyed by "box ticking" then, because instead of having proper roles for diverse characters, the film studios shoe-horn in a minor character, or one scene and then say, "look at us supporting diversity", when they really aren't at all.

It's basically the equivalent of companies all posting shit on twitter about supporting human rights in light of the Qatar World Cup, whilst still making stuff in factories where kids have to work 20 hour shifts and have no rights whatsoever.

Anyway, have not seen the film @Mook is on about so I might be talking bollocks and I liked the black lady dwarf in Rings of Power.

No. I get annoyed by people watching something and instead of enjoying it, calling it "box ticking" if someone is straight white caucasian. 

The world is littered with hypocrisy of course but your point there has hardly any relevance to the point I was making. 

I'm glad you liked the black lady dwarf in Rings of power. She's a human being just like me and you. 

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Thanks for actually understanding the point I was making.

I would add that none of this stuff was mentioned to my children after the film, I like to let them make their own mind up about things and they are growing up in a different World to the one I was 40 years ago.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Mook said:

I would add that none of this stuff was mentioned to my children after the film, I like to let them make their own mind up about things and they are growing up in a different World to the one I was 40 years ago.

Never mind all that, have you got them into He-Man yet?

3 hours ago, Mook said:

I still don’t understand the point you (or Jose) are making. 

Jose invented the “shoe horn” concept there. Plenty of films are full of diversity. Rightly so. Not because “box ticking” but because …. You know …. we live on a diverse planet 

41 minutes ago, Mook said:

Not happening I'm afraid.

They love Ghostbusters, the Christopher Reeve Superman films & Short Circuit so I can live with that.

Talking robots > black parents 

(kidding Mook I can’t stand Johnny 5 the little box ticking meff) 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I still don’t understand the point you (or Jose) are making. 

Jose invented the “shoe horn” concept there. Plenty of films are full of diversity. Rightly so. Not because “box ticking” but because …. You know …. we live on a diverse planet 

The vast majority of films aren’t full of diversity, that’s the whole point!

15 minutes ago, Torvald Utne said:

Just watched it, one of those films I'd have sworn on my life that I'd already seen, turns out I'd only ever seen short circuit 2

The last time I saw it was on a blag VHS around the time it came out.

The kids loved it though. I'll probably put SC 2 on for them tomorrow if they come round.

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

The last time I saw it was on a blag VHS around the time it came out.

The kids loved it though. I'll probably put SC 2 on for them tomorrow if they come round.

How old are they, mate?

Depending upon their ages, I recommend The Box of Delights, a 1980s mini-series adaptation of the John Masefield novel. Some of the effects are dated but it’s still very good, in my opinion.

imbd

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tony Moanero said:

How old are they, mate?

Depending upon their ages, I recommend The Box of Delights, a 1980s mini-series adaptation of the John Masefield novel. Some of the effects are dated but it’s still very good, in my opinion.

imbd

My daughter's kids are 8, 6 and 4 and watch animation mainly, but I've been introducing them to proper films.

The 8 year old, a girl is older and wiser than her years and is very quick on the uptake so finding something they'll all watch together can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.I

I'll have a look at that though mate, thanks.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My daughter's kids are 8, 6 and 4 and watch animation mainly, but I've been introducing them to proper films.

The 8 year old, a girl is older and wiser than her years and is very quick on the uptake so finding something they'll all watch together can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.I

I'll have a look at that though mate, thanks.

This should be fine, if you can find it.

Imbd

CB509E92-DFCB-43C5-935C-D16B0B2DF175.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

This should be fine, if you can find it.

Imbd

CB509E92-DFCB-43C5-935C-D16B0B2DF175.jpeg

They've seen the recent Narnia films.

I bought the eldest The Chronicles of Narnia books last year which she enjoyed and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen which she hasn't started yet.

Her mum (my daughter) is a teacher, so reading is a big thing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I bought the eldest The Chronicles of Narnia books last year which she enjoyed and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen which she hasn't started yet.

Ace. I couldn’t get enough of books when I was a kid.

10 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen is something I remember reading in school. Based on Alderley Edge I believe Alan Garner,it's author lives around there.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Weirdstone of Brisingamen is something I remember reading in school. Based on Alderley Edge I believe Alan Garner,it's author lives around there.

You are correct. 

We had a teacher who would read us a chapter every day when I was about 8.

I liked the story so bought the book because it was dragging out too long being the impatient little sod I was.

It's a great book for kids, intriguing with just the right amount of peril and it doesn't get old.

There's two others as well. Elidor and The Moon of Gomrath.