You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Isn't the Asian guy in short circuit a white guy blacked up. 

I'm not sure if he's 'blacked up' but he's definitely a white American bloke pretending to be Asian, quite badly.

Some of his lines are fucking brilliant.

13 hours ago, Mook said:

Took the boys to the pictures to see Strange World today, enjoyable enough for the kids but the Disney obsession with crowbarring diversity into their stuff is glaring and I grow weary of it. I nearly fell asleep but cartoons tend to do that to me.

We then watched Short Circuit before bed time & the three of us were pissing ourselves laughing the whole way through it. Absolutely amazing family film, maybe one of the best ever. Also, I was madly in love with Stephanie in 1986 & still feel the same now.

Pics or GTFO.

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Crazy how having a gay character is still considered crowbarring in diversity given the ratio of straight characters in media (especially aimed at kids) still far out strips what would be representative in the real world.

Have you seen the film?

That scene was completely and utterly crowbarred in. Having a gay character is fine by me but it's the way it all comes across as a box ticking exercise with the black wife & strong female lead characters. Just let kids be kids for fucks sake.

*I realise I'm a bit of dinosaur.

19 minutes ago, Mook said:

Have you seen the film?

That scene was completely and utterly crowbarred in. Having a gay character is fine by me but it's the way it all comes across as a box ticking exercise with the black wife & strong female lead characters. Just let kids be kids for fucks sake.

Have a word with yourself mate. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Have you seen the film?

It’s called equity - redressing historical imbalances in equality 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Political correctness gone mad 

Guilty.

Says where we are as a species though when we're quite happy for Lionesses to give Lions fuck me eyes, Ogres can fuck princesses, and Princes can fuck Princesses whether they're awake or not as long as it's clearly established it's a male and female.

But having two women picking up a kid from nursery in the background of a scene (Toy Story 4), 6 seconds of a 1 hour 45 min movie showing a lesbian couple (Lightyear) or a boy liking another boy (Strange Worlds) can have the neckbeards on you tube, or the Walsh/Shapiro/Crowder mob up in arms.

Just type the name of the film into YouTube and see some of the shit takes on it there's definitely (but not exclusively) a 'type'.

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Guilty.

Says where we are as a species though when we're quite happy for Lionesses to give Lions fuck me eyes, Ogres can fuck princesses, and Princes can fuck Princesses whether they're awake or not as long as it's clearly established it's a male and female.

But having two women picking up a kid from nursery in the background of a scene (Toy Story 4), 6 seconds of a 1 hour 45 min movie showing a lesbian couple (Lightyear) or a boy liking another boy (Strange Worlds) can have the neckbeards on you tube, or the Walsh/Shapiro/Crowder mob up in arms.

Just type the name of the film into YouTube and see some of the shit takes on it there's definitely (but not exclusively) a 'type'.

I saw plenty calling Wakanda "wokeanda" and all it did was highlight what ignorant racist gobshites they are. Who gives a fuck what colour/sexual orientation someone in a make believe film is? 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Crazy how having a gay character is still considered crowbarring in diversity given the ratio of straight characters in media (especially aimed at kids) still far out strips what would be representative in the real world.

Well technically the LGBTQ community is over represented in the media

There's a big Anti-Disney/Anti-'Woke' movement aimed at all it's major brands that's been growing for a while but really ramped up with the Star Wars Prequels*

*Which were bad because of the direction, writing and management not because it had female or black leads and not because of Kelly Marie Tran.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Have a word with yourself mate. 

Have you seen the film, Stig?

The scene about the Son having a crush on another boy had no real context & was clearly in there for no reason other to tick the LGBT box. I wouldn't have commented on it if it was actually part of the storyline.

Obviously I'm a 'neck beard' (whatever the fuck that is) for pointing this out. It actually does gay people a disservice as far as I can make out.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Have you seen the film, Stig?

The scene about the Son having a crush on another boy had no real context & was clearly in there for no reason other to tick the LGBT box. I wouldn't have commented on it if it was actually part of the storyline.

Obviously I'm a 'neck beard' (whatever the fuck that is) for pointing this out. It actually does gay people a disservice as far as I can make out.

It was more your comment about box ticking and black wife that surprised me to be honest. But if that stuff offends you crack on 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It was more your comment about box ticking and black wife that surprised me to be honest. But if that stuff offends you crack on 

It doesn't offend me at all.

I think there should be far more diversity in the arts, especially in terms of poor artists & characters. It's the box ticking I object to, write stories with strong women, gay men & multicultural families rather than shoehorning it into things.

Anyone who comments on it is immediately labelled a racist or homophobic as well, which only polarises things further.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

It doesn't offend me at all.

I think there should be far more diversity in the arts, especially in terms of poor artists & characters. It's the box ticking I object to, write stories with strong women, gay men & multicultural families rather than shoehorning them into things.

Anyone who comments on it is immediately labelled a racist or homophobic as well, which only polarises things further.

I don't think you're racist at all Mook but why in the flying fuck is a black woman in a make believe movie "box ticking"? That's a comment straight from the daily mail.  You're well off the mark here mate. 

If they made a serious film about let's say, Maddie McCann based on truth and she was played by a black gay fella I might think "Hmm that's a bit odd" but this is a disney film about a mysterious underground land. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I don't think you're racist at all Mook but why in the flying fuck is a black woman in a make believe movie "box ticking"? That's a comment straight from the daily mail.  You're well off the mark here mate. 

It's actually a true story and the wife in real life was a cracker.

Finally got around to watching Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri the other night.

Not sure what to make of it. Some good lines and an unflinching plot, so I largely enjoyed it. But it's definitely flawed. The racism angle is heavy handed, and then for all the set up it isn't really addressed in Rockwell's redemption arc. All a bit messy.

I think there is definitely a solid point about forced diversity in movies. Nobody would ever say that Mrs Doubtfire was woke even though the main character's brother is gay and in a loving relationship with his boyfriend, because it feels natural rather than being a box-ticking exercise.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"box ticking"

Fuck this planet. 

Why though?

If it is box ticking, which a some of it comes across as then surely it's worth discussing rather than just labelling any comments down as racist or 'Daily Mail' or whatever. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mook said:

Why though?

If it is box ticking, which a some of it comes across as then surely it's worth discussing rather than just shutting any comments down as racist or 'Daily Mail' or whatever. 

Why does it bother you though? Why is a black parent "box ticking"? 

If more diversity in childrens movies/programmes normalises different ethnicities/sexual orientations helps create a more accepting and less xenophobic/bigoted society in the future then I'm all for it.

Seriously, imagine being someone who watches a kids disney movie and is arsed what colour the mum is and immediately thinks "box ticking".  

To answer your question "why though?" in a planet already immersed in hate and prejudice, the last thing it needs is people complaining about diversity in kids films. I personally think it's pathetic. 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Why does it bother you though? Why is a black parent "box ticking"? 

If more diversity in childrens movies/programmes normalises different ethnicities/sexual orientations helps create a more accepting and less xenophobic/bigoted society in the future then I'm all for it.

Seriously, imagine being someone who watches a kids disney movie and is arsed what colour the mum is and immediately thinks "box ticking".  

To answer your question "why though?" in a planet already immersed in hate and prejudice, the last thing it needs is people complaining about diversity in kids films. I personally think it's pathetic. 

Right on.