You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

15 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Insane....

Lennon gave the guitar to a friend, who passed it on to someone “who took the guitar home, tossed it in the attic, and gave it nary a thought for decades"

Read the article on Paul's bass - exactly the same!!

a family living in a terraced house in Sussex contacted the team remembering they had an old bass guitar in their attic.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why Let It Be got this reputation of a portrait of a band at the end of its tether, there are a couple of fairly mild arguments in it, and they don't exactly look joyful until the rooftop performance, but then they're rehearsing new material under pressure. Maybe it was the subsequent split and sourness that overshadowed everything. The main problem with the film is that it's quite dull, there's no context to anything- they're in the hangar, then the studio, then the rooftop and there's no explanation as to why. Although Jackson's documentary is massively longer, it kept you gripped and there was a clear narrative to what was happening, plus there were some amazing scenes like McCartney strumming his way to Get Back pretty much from scratch.

I believe Hogg's original cut was about 3 hours long and it got butchered by the Beatles and the studio, and of course his grandiose ideas about ending the film with a huge concert never materialised, so I guess that's why it seems so flimsy. As ever, the nostalgia and yearning for what might have been had they just done some solo stuff and regrouped from time to time tinges the whole thing with a sad melancholy.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'm not sure why Let It Be got this reputation of a portrait of a band at the end of its tether, there are a couple of fairly mild arguments in it, and they don't exactly look joyful until the rooftop performance, but then they're rehearsing new material under pressure. Maybe it was the subsequent split and sourness that overshadowed everything. The main problem with the film is that it's quite dull, there's no context to anything- they're in the hangar, then the studio, then the rooftop and there's no explanation as to why. Although Jackson's documentary is massively longer, it kept you gripped and there was a clear narrative to what was happening, plus there were some amazing scenes like McCartney strumming his way to Get Back pretty much from scratch.

I believe Hogg's original cut was about 3 hours long and it got butchered by the Beatles and the studio, and of course his grandiose ideas about ending the film with a huge concert never materialised, so I guess that's why it seems so flimsy. As ever, the nostalgia and yearning for what might have been had they just done some solo stuff and regrouped from time to time tinges the whole thing with a sad melancholy.

I think Let It Be was probably the weakest of the post 64-Beatles albums.  A band out of ideas, or more accurately distracted by their own careers, under pressure to deliver, and coming up with a load of old pap, some recycled from their youth.  Get Back is not a patch on their best stuff.  

12 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think Let It Be was probably the weakest of the post 64-Beatles albums.  A band out of ideas, or more accurately distracted by their own careers, under pressure to deliver, and coming up with a load of old pap, some recycled from their youth.  Get Back is not a patch on their best stuff.  

Yeah, it's a very weak album, comparatively speaking- the Naked version is better than the Spector-produced original, but still nowhere near their best work. Some decent ballads, but a lot of mediocre stuff like One After 909. Abbey Road is miles better, but that was largely saved by Martin putting together the medley, otherwise they wouldn't have had enough material.

8 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

We played Two of us at our wedding so it’s always had a special significance for me. 

Well the song plods on and on after several false endings and the opening lyrics are, "Two of us riding nowhere, spending someone's hard-earned pay", so I suppose it could be a good metaphor for marriage.

• Haha 1