You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FM 08 Out Today

Malarkey

I'm Liverpool, just finished my first season. Won the league, the league cup and the FA Cup, but lost the final of the European Cup to Barca (damn you Valdes). Anyways, here's the starting XI, although it does change a fair bit.

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Insua

SWP Gerrard Masch Kewell

Torres Eto'o

How the fuck I managed to sign Eto'o I have no idea, but he got 42 goals in his first season, 23 of them in the league. Sorted out deals for Zigic and Richards already, plus sniffing round Renato Augusto.

Signed Renato Augusto in mine and he is not that good, have signed a load of young Brazilians and just shipped them out on loan to get passports, but Augusto is fine straight away, have just found this 17 year old Brazilian who called Juninho who is tipped to be the next Ronaldo and I have him signed on a pre-contract.

Only big name signing I have made is Kompany, Kuyt is massively doing the business for me, Torres has less goals but a load of assists, went out of the CL early but it is now a straight fight between Arsenal and me for the title and I reckon that I have the easiest run in.

This is the toughest version yet.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started unemployed and went to bolton, took them to the uefa cup final, fa cup final and finished 17th, next season again near relegation, pongolle scores 12 goals a year, anelka was sold to bolton so i quit in april and went to birmingham in the championship, who were 2nd at the time, 3 games later, quit them and came to Spurs, finished 8th with them.

Next season, won the league, fa and league cups and the Uefa Cup, 30 something game unbeaten streak. Some Ecuadorian Striker called Christian Benitez scores over 25 a season, for me anyways :)

Moved to AC Milan, signed Mascherano for 25m Lucas for 18 ( from Newcastle! ) Benitez for 19.5 and Gordon for 26.5m 51 games unbeaten now and winning the serie A, italian cup and uefa cup. Rafa's at Inter...

Quite like the game :)

• 2 weeks later...

Won 2 league titles with Fiorentina in my first 2 seasons. Liverpool won the title back in England then had a bad second season. Spurs won league 2nd season in England and Villa are run away leaders in the 3rd. Utd and Chelsea arent even in Europe and Rafa is on the verge of the sack...

My game is crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest tip would be to resist buying players until January. Your players tend to increase in value and the team often settles quicker. In my current game (with Fiorentina) I only signed 16 year olds from the start and Diego because I sold Mutu to Arsenal for £20m. Back to back league titles and I'm a point off top in February, in the semi final of Italian Cup and just beaten Chelsea in the second round of the Champions League in my 3rd season...

This home grown player rule in Europe is a cunt. I would win the Champions League no problem with my full squad. On FM2007 your could sign 16/17 year olds and they counted as home grown from your own club, now they dont.

They do if you have them trained at your club for 3 years before they reach 18 i think.

They do if you have them trained at your club for 3 years before they reach 18 i think.

Oh right. There are a shortage of 15 year olds on the game, I used to be able to fill my reserves with promising kids. Another problem is that when you sign them, they dont come until the end of the season most of the time.

Oh right. There are a shortage of 15 year olds on the game, I used to be able to fill my reserves with promising kids. Another problem is that when you sign them, they dont come until the end of the season most of the time.

Strange, they should come in January or immediately if you are in pre season. Of course that depends on if you are signing them on pre contracts. Chances are you are signing 16 year olds up and signing them on professional terms, which they cant sign or join you till their 17th Birthday. Hence why you dont get home grown status easily.

Oh an update on my game by the way.

As defending champions, my team Atletico were pretty much good to go for the next season. We were the best team, just signed a couple of players to fill the holes of players who decided they wanted to leave or retire (Lil Luis being one of them :( ), young players with a lot of potential mainly signed. Anyway we were riding high in January, top of the league by 10 points and on course for retaining the league.

Liverpool then happened.

On the 31st January at 23:00 they offered minimum fee release clauses for Freddy Adu (30m) and Sergio Aguero (50m)

Naturally these two turncoats, the spine of my team, the creativity, the reason we were so ace upped and left for Liverpool.

1 hour to go till the transfer window shut as well, naturally I couldn't replace them in this time, so was forced to play my youngsters, who were promising, but not as world beating as those two.

10 games without a win later I am on course to not qualify for the champions league and I quit, taking control of Bayern who had 4 games to go and were 9 points away from the title in 2nd. I ended 2nd, a point behind HSV who won the league.

I quit Bayern, thinking that a year or two out of the game would be nice to chill and put my feet up, drinking champagne and things, but Mclaren, who hadn't been sacked yet was awful in the Euros and England offered me the job, so I took it and took England all the way to the world cup final in Brazil against Brazil. Alas a 3-2 loss in what was Gerrard's final game before retirement meant we couldn't win it and now I am at a crossroads, whether to try and find a new top flight job, to try and win the Euros with England, or to take a break and get a new job in a couple of years...

choices choices

Strange, they should come in January or immediately if you are in pre season. Of course that depends on if you are signing them on pre contracts. Chances are you are signing 16 year olds up and signing them on professional terms, which they cant sign or join you till their 17th Birthday. Hence why you dont get home grown status easily.

I see what you mean, so I have to offer a fee to the club in order to get them straight away or offer them a contract which isnt on professional terms (which I have never tried).

I'm just about to take on Liverpool in the quarters of the Champions League and my Fiorentina side have let an 8 point lead in the league slip to a point behind the new leaders Inter. I have done a Rafa and rested key players in the league in order to try and win the CL... If I achieve that I will then just hang around until a bigger job offer comes in. I cant expand my 47,000 stadium due to planning objections which is holding the club back.

I see what you mean, so I have to offer a fee to the club in order to get them straight away or offer them a contract which isnt on professional terms (which I have never tried).

Yup

offer a contract not on professional terms, you will pay minimal compensation if they come. As soon as they are with your club and you have paraded him around with a scarf and the grins, then offer him professional terms, it's the way around it if you want them signed professionally immediately if they are younger than 17.

It should work then

Yup

offer a contract not on professional terms, you will pay minimal compensation if they come. As soon as they are with your club and you have paraded him around with a scarf and the grins, then offer him professional terms, it's the way around it if you want them signed professionally immediately if they are younger than 17.

It should work then

Cheers, I will have to try that. Hopefully the player still accepts such a contract.

• 2 weeks later...

Won 3 league titles with Fiorentina and got to a CL semi then resigned. Rafa took my job so I went for and got the vacant Liverpool job. Made masses of changes, an unrecognisable squad. Only players I kept who get games are Gerrard, Lucas, Agger and Babel. Promoted several from reserves and youth team.

Just signed Dos Santos and Bojan from Barca on frees aswell. Got players like Henry Saviet (£18m), Bale (£18m), Aguero (£54), Baptista (£4m) and Joe Cole (£3m) and loads more...

3rd in November, about 5 off top. The owners want the title in 2 seaons so I think I will need to win it in my 2nd year or I'm gone... The new stadium is built and greatly helps my finances.

Won 3 league titles with Fiorentina and got to a CL semi then resigned. Rafa took my job so I went for and got the vacant Liverpool job. Made masses of changes, an unrecognisable squad. Only players I kept who get games are Gerrard, Lucas, Agger and Babel. Promoted several from reserves and youth team.

Just signed Dos Santos and Bojan from Barca on frees aswell. Got players like Henry Saviet (£18m), Bale (£18m), Aguero (£54), Baptista (£4m) and Joe Cole (£3m) and loads more...

3rd in November, about 5 off top. The owners want the title in 2 seaons so I think I will need to win it in my 2nd year or I'm gone... The new stadium is built and greatly helps my finances.

You can Saviet at the start for free if you search him before he gets good and you have to pay big bucks.

You can Saviet at the start for free if you search him before he gets good and you have to pay big bucks.

I signed him for free for Fiorentina and then paid £18m when I took him to Liverpool.

That Michael Woods (I think), a Chelsea youngster turns out good. I got him on a free at Fiorentina but cant sign him now at Liverpool. Mark Randall at Arsenal turned out surprisingly good as well. He's now at Blackburn.

I was Zagreb for one season and won the league, following season with the departure of my top goalscorer I finished 6th and got sacked!

You get 15m to spend but its so hard attracting players.

I also found that they list Zagrebs ground capacity as 25000 when its much bigger in real life which is a suprise because FM is usually spot on.

I was Zagreb for one season and won the league, following season with the departure of my top goalscorer I finished 6th and got sacked!

You get 15m to spend but its so hard attracting players.

I also found that they list Zagrebs ground capacity as 25000 when its much bigger in real life which is a suprise because FM is usually spot on.

Why did you pick such a random team and league?

The PL seems to be harder than any other league which is strange. I would win the league every year with Fiorentina even in the first season when I had average players. With Liverpool I have a strong side but I will struggle for a top 2 finish.

I'm loving how Utd are falling apart with Steve Bruce in charge. Rooney left for £55m to Juventus and they accepted a big of £60m from me (Liverpool) for Ronaldo but I pulled out of it. They are well and truely shite, they finished 12th last season. Arsenal are very strong, they signed E'too for £18m which was a bargain.

Why did you pick such a random team and league?

The PL seems to be harder than any other league which is strange. I would win the league every year with Fiorentina even in the first season when I had average players. With Liverpool I have a strong side but I will struggle for a top 2 finish.

I'm loving how Utd are falling apart with Steve Bruce in charge. Rooney left for £55m to Juventus and they accepted a big of £60m from me (Liverpool) for Ronaldo but I pulled out of it. They are well and truely shite, they finished 12th last season. Arsenal are very strong, they signed E'too for £18m which was a bargain.

I always do it just to see if I still have the old magic!