You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Garcia...

Chris

But, if you were Luis at 29, not having a first place in the Liverpool 11 as a attacking midfielder, when there was a lack of attackers with quality. What would you do when your club got big funds to go out and buy quality attackers?

Then you maybe would want to go home to Atletico Madrid for the rest of your career, and wouldn't want to sign a new contract.

So, if you were Rafa Benitez, and wanted to improve your team, and planned to buy some better players for your team, and you knew that Luis wouldn't hack a place in the starting 11, and you could use him in a deal to get the striker you wanted for all the time in charge at Liverpool. And Luis wouldn't want to sign a new contract, and he would leave on a free next year. What would yo do?

I don't want him to go :(

We'd be nuts to sell him, even nuttier to do so for £4.5m, and even nuttier still to replace him with Yossi Benayoun for the same fee.

Long live King Luis.

Totally agree. The only way it makes sense to me is that he must want to return to Spain (there've been rumours for a while that Mrs Luis isn't settled here - especially since Jnr was born). Factor in his age and the mere twelve months left on his deal, and that adds up to us getting rid for £4.5m. I am gutted, though.

I'm with you Chris, i love L'il Luis, he's easily one of the most frustrating players i've ever seen in a red shirt, but, oh the skill of the man, one minute he'd have you screaming and spitting blood, the next he'd have you screaming in ecstasy. If he goes i really wish him well, and will start looking out for Atleticos scores.

Torres will mean we will hopefully get the best out of kuyt. If we have to sacrifice Luis then so be it in my eyes. Cheers for the goals and good luck in spain.

Says on Wiki that Dirk's Dad died yesterday :(

Totally agree. The only way it makes sense to me is that he must want to return to Spain (there've been rumours for a while that Mrs Luis isn't settled here - especially since Jnr was born). Factor in his age and the mere twelve months left on his deal, and that adds up to us getting rid for £4.5m. I am gutted, though.

I thought that was Pepe? Regardless of which, I'm going to cry if Luis leaves us.

First | Athletic of Madrid

LUIS GARCI'A RETURNS TO THE ATLETI

The club rojiblanco closes to the international of the Liverpool by 5 million

ITS GREAT MOMENT. The Liverpool gained the Champions in 2005 after eliminating in semifinals the Chelsea with a ghost goal of Luis Garci'a.

(AP)

30.06.2007 I. DÍAZ-GUERRA

The Athletic one closed yesterday definitively the draftee of Luis Garci'a. The left-handed person, of 29 years just fulfilled, will return thus to the club where he was based in the elite in the 2002-03 in a crossing that Atlético and Liverpool have closed by 5 million euros to the margin of the operation of Fernando Torres.

Luis Garci'a was wishing to return to Spain, although their three seasons in the Liverpool have been everything a success. Its great moment lived it in Champions 2004-05, when the Liverpool eliminated the Juve in quarters thanks to a spectacular volea of the Catalan and in semifi nales to the Chelsea thanks to another closing his that did not get to enter but the referee it gave like goal. Later, reds would win by penaltis to Milan in the end.

Injury of knee.

Since then, Luis Garci'a became one of the ídolos of Anfield, but after 108 parties and 31 goals with the Liverpool he decided to return to Spain. In the winter market enough in the agenda of the Athletic one, but the 10 of January the crossed ligament of its right knee was broken and the crossing was parked. Until now, already recovered.

Luis Garci'a arrives to cover the march with Galletti, in which he supposes an evident jump of quality. In addition, the Atleti has valued much its versatility, since it can play by both bands and of second end, and its knowledge of the club.

But, if you were Luis at 29, not having a first place in the Liverpool 11 as a attacking midfielder, when there was a lack of attackers with quality. What would you do when your club got big funds to go out and buy quality attackers?

Then you maybe would want to go home to Atletico Madrid for the rest of your career, and wouldn't want to sign a new contract.

So, if you were Rafa Benitez, and wanted to improve your team, and planned to buy some better players for your team, and you knew that Luis wouldn't hack a place in the starting 11, and you could use him in a deal to get the striker you wanted for all the time in charge at Liverpool. And Luis wouldn't want to sign a new contract, and he would leave on a free next year. What would yo do?

Spot on Jonte.

Smashing the Transfer Record

Dean Saunders 2.9m

Stan Collymore 8.5m

Emile Heskey 11m

Djibril Cisse 14.5m

Fernando Torres 26.5m ??

Collymore probably was the best out of that lot, his partnership with Robbie plundered 50+ goals, but can Torres take the pressure that has seen the majority of the above leave with having failed to live up to the price tag.

Oh don't shoot from there you fuuuuuucking GET IN SON!!!

Utterly mad player, but defo will be missed, sparked contrary emotions like almost no other. Also the best attacking header of a ball we've had for years.

Name is forever in our folklore after the Chelsea semi-finals in '05 and '06.

Respect.

Says on Wiki that Dirk's Dad died yesterday :(

Sorry to hear that if its true. Kuyt played his heart out in Athens, and a goal or two for his dad would have been a magical end to the season, what with Dirk doing so much personally for his dad during what must have been a very stressful time, for the whole family.

It would have taken guts to get on that plane, leave, and come to Liverpool to sign for us. Somehow Kuyt was able to fulfill his own ambitions, while still being there for his dad.

Hold your head up high, Dirk, and know that you're dad is always there.

01.07.2007 - 09:32 h. - Marca

HIS DRAFTEE DOES NOT DEPEND ON DE FERNANDO TORRES THE FUTURE

Luis Garci'a already is player of the Athletic one

A.R. BARBER. Madrid

of which it happens with respect to the future of Fernando Torres, and although the club has independently not confirmed it officially, the certain thing is that Luis Garci'a can already consider player of the Athletic one. The agreement with the Liverpool is total and the number, that goes up to around five million, will discount of the crossing of `Young' when this one is consumed. Luis will be presented/displayed in Vicente Calderón throughout the week that begins tomorrow same.