You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I don't want to sound heartless to the girl, if she's genuinely ill I hope she recovers asap, she's imo one of the most intelligent/intriguing sports stars out there, plus the girl has always been willing to put her name to causes she believes in, which is another reason to wish her well in her recovery.

Agreed, this is a woman who made 60 mil last year - 90% of that was off the court.

Tennis needs her more than she needs tennis which is why I think you are correct on the precedent/rule changes.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I only watch it for the press conferences. 

I know you jest but them snippets go round to every TV and radio  station in the world long after the match is finished. Think Ali, think Shankly, think Klopp, think John Macnroe, think Ronnie O'Sullivan etc...all part of the dance. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Absolutely - she may just choose different tournaments if she is not agreeable to those terms. My feeling is those terms will become more agreeable for her benefit.

True. It's most likely all about players (talent) power versus the establishment.

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm disappointed in her , she is my favourite tennis player at the moment and I think she has just wanted to avoid technical questions about her clay court form and thought ' I've plenty of money to pay the fines '.

You'll have the university luvvie mob scowling with that post.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why do you think her sponsors would not support her?

Agree. Surely sponsorship is about her being on court in the manufacturer’s gear, or in magazine adverts. I’m curious as to how sponsorship is affected by press conferences? When was the last time you heard anyone ask about sponsors at one, unless there is some controversy with the actual company sponsoring the person. It’s not like the journos say “That’s a pretty Nike top you’re wearing. What product code is it?”

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Anubis said:

Surely sponsorship is about her being on court in the manufacturer’s gear, or in magazine adverts. I’m curious as to how sponsorship is affected by press conferences? When was the last time you heard anyone ask about sponsors at one, unless there is some controversy with the actual company sponsoring the person. It’s not like the journo’s as “That’s a pretty Nike top you’re wearing. What product code is it?”

Oh I think sponsors would want every inch of publicity they can squeeze, I'd imagine they'd want to get soundbites with their logos on aftermatch interviews. They are paying these athletes big money.

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Agree. Surely sponsorship is about her being on court in the manufacturer’s gear, or in magazine adverts. I’m curious as to how sponsorship is affected by press conferences? When was the last time you heard anyone ask about sponsors at one, unless there is some controversy with the actual company sponsoring the person. It’s not like the journos say “That’s a pretty Nike top you’re wearing. What product code is it?”

For me, last time was in her Melbourne presser video I watched and shared. So, a couple of hours ago.

2 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Then every player would be able to cite mental issues and be allowed to stop speaking at press conferences, id guess the sponsorship would thereafter drop dramatically.

Tennis journalists are hardly the most robust questioners in the sporting world. I wonder if in future she'll take questions after playing on a surface that suits her? 

Ah, yes - the "thin edge of the wedge" fallacy.  Utter bollocks, of course. 

Most players are OK with the pressers. One player finds them so stressful that she'd rather withdraw from a tournament than be forced to go through them. Any decent workplace  - certainly any properly unionised workplace  - would make a "reasonable adjustment" and allow her to swerve the unnecessary thing that's causing her mental health problems. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ah, yes - the "thin edge of the wedge" fallacy.  Utter bollocks, of course. 

Most players are OK with the pressers. One player finds them so stressful that she'd rather withdraw from a tournament than be forced to go through them. Any decent workplace  - certainly any properly unionised workplace  - would make a "reasonable adjustment" and allow her to swerve the unnecessary thing that's causing her mental health problems. 

Not utter bollocks at all. Every tennis player could feasibly use mental health issues to duck out of future interviews. Possibly same for other sports.

35 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ronnie OSullivan hinting here he's under an obligation to give interviews.  Otherwise he just wouldn't bother turning up.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/snooker/watch-ronnie-osullivan-puts-on-strange-robotic-voice-for-interview-after-latest-slap-on-the-wrists-35434729.html

I think a lot of people would prefer him not to turn up

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If the organisers required the wheelchair players to walk up the stairs would they ban those that weren’t able to do it? 

She’s got mental health issues, she can’t do do the interviews. She should be able to miss them and just play tennis. 

Curiously her mental health issues never arise during the hard court season. 

Strange that.