You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Architecture

Karl_b

• 2 weeks later...

very cool building now under construction - it's the british pavilion for the shanghai expo 2010. they call it the seed cathedral...

4455648706_9f9554a878_o.jpg

4455668696_6a6437b5a0_o.jpg

Heatherwick promises to outdo himself with the British Pavilion at Shanghai Expo 2010. The six-story-high building is an extraordinary, and unconventional, object that embodies the expo’s charge to represent creativity and innovation in Britain. The building is made of 60,000 slender, transparent quills that quiver in the breeze as they draw light into the interior during the day, and glow from embedded light sources at night. The building’s structure also serves as the vehicle for an exhibition that addresses Expo’s theme, “Better City, Better Life.” Heatherwick and his team worked with Kew’s Millennium Seed Bank partnership to showcase Britain’s commitment to conservation. They encased thousands of seeds in the ends of the transparent rods, creating a larger-than-life catalog of the plant species that contribute to national and global conservation programs, in a veritable cathedral of seeds.

Heatherwick studio - Home

4455648804_1b1c7cb9d1_o.jpg

4455648768_4782695f84_o.jpg

4454868613_5508310e04_o.jpg

britisha.jpg

It's got an aresehole!

i have to admit i agree - sometimes we architects have our heads so far up our own, we can't see it staring at us.

the last rendering looks pretty funny now - but the real building doesn't conjure up that image for me.

thankfully.

• 1 month later...

Some of the Pavilions are amazing and I didn't realise some of the countries went to so much effort at the Expo's anymore. The British Pavilion as Neko has already linked one of my favourites, the Massive China Pavilion is also really impressive.

This is just an artists rendition can't seem to find any decent pics for some reason

chinapavilion121807.jpg

Also not sure if it's already been mentioned on this thread but The Cool Hunter blog and their architecture section is always good for finding some pretty amazing places. It's just a great blog overall for great design and innovation really.

The Cool Hunter - Welcome

If it's not got Si's foam-squirting disc, I ain't impressed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

don't know anything about it personally, but thought this might be of interest...

Welcome to Living Architecture

Living Architecture is a new not-for-profit organisation set up to revolutionise both architecture and the UK holiday rental business.

Living Architecture offers you a chance to rent houses for a holiday designed by some of the most talented architects at work today, and set in some of the most stunning locations in Britain. We have commissioned houses by Peter Zumthor, Michael & Patty Hopkins, NORD, Jarmund/Vigsnæs Architects & MVRDV.

We are dedicated to introducing you to the best of contemporary architecture, as well as to curating unique and enjoyable holidays, starting at just £20 per person per night.

• 2 weeks later...

The Stirling Prize short-list has been announced, there was a piece about one of the schools on BBC Breakfast this morning but I didn't see it.

Stirling prize shortlist 2010 – in pictures | Art and design | guardian.co.uk

I need to familiarise myself with these a bit more and I haven't seen any of them up close but in Chipperfield and dRMM they've got two of my favourites in there.

I think one of the schools will win it.

The Stirling Prize short-list has been announced, there was a piece about one of the schools on BBC Breakfast this morning but I didn't see it.

I need to familiarise myself with these a bit more and I haven't seen any of them up close but in Chipperfield and dRMM they've got two of my favourites in there.

i can't stand zaha hadid - the prototypical architect that designs the kind of buildings that perpetuates the opinion of many people that architects are a bunch of over-educated, self-indulgent wankers with no clue of how a building really should function.

from the guardian..."The €150m (£126m) building in the suburbs of the Italian capital doesn't have many straight walls – possibly a problem when it comes to hanging paintings – but, as the judges say, 'this is a museum of routes and paths where the curators have to invent how to hang and place 21st-century artworks'"

i liked the school and the house project.

Stirling-Prize-shortlist-002.jpg

That apartment building where the architects live is beautiful. I want.

Been there! Obviously had no idea what it was, but thought it was ace.

DSC01043.jpg

Thought you'd been to Berlin recently? Or have I just made that up?

• 2 months later...
Frank Lloyd wright

Visionary genius

Frank Lloyd Wright

possibly the most over-rated architect of the 20th century.

an incredibly arrogant, self serving individual who designed some nice buildings for his time, but we really should move on from this 'american craftsman' style and stop idolizing his work as genius.

much of his work was flawed, over budget and unlivable.

i'm fucking sick of frank lloyd fucking wright....there, i said it.