You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just finished the latest Charlie Parker and, while I certainly enjoyed it, it very much felt like a stepping stone novel designed to take the overall continuing story arc to new places.

The character of Ross seems to become much more of a potential threat to Parker without any real justification in this story and the character of Philip seems under-developed simply as a way of introducing Mother. Furthermore this specific story feels slightly under-cooked too as it seems merely to serve the deepening supernatural theme and Parker's familial links to it.

Still, very enjoyable. I've now bought the Parker Miscellany which is a collection of non-fiction by Connelly about his main man.

John Connolly - A Game of Ghosts

Both started and finished this today. Not something I often do these days which in itself tells you something. Without wanting to give too much away it is a little different to previous books. The unstoppable force of vengeance that Parker so often personalizes is largely missing from this outing as Connolly has him playing catch up throughout most of the book. Also, and unusually, the antagonists - at least the ones in this world - are just a little bit incompetent compared to some of the foes he has faced in the past. This isn't meant as a criticism. I still thoroughly enjoyed it. In terms of the series as a whole the supernatural elements which have been playing a more prominent role in recent books continues here and we get a few more hints where this might be all leading. Only small hints though, this is John Connolly after all.

Agreed. I thought The Collector elements were a bit underwhelming too considering what they were.

I didn't want to mention the Collector, well you can guess why, but absolutely with you there.

Just about finished up with Red Sister, the new Mark Lawrence book. Without looking back a few pages to be sure I think it might have been you that first mentioned Lawrence. This one concerns the coming of age of a gifted child. Yes, it's a well worn tale done countless of times by many different authors but there is a reason for this. When it is done well it's hugely gripping and very satisfying. In this case Lawrence doesn't disappoint. 

Lastly for those who might be interested John Connolly is presenting an hour long programme on 6 Music this Sunday at 13.00pm.

Agreed. I thought The Collector elements were a bit underwhelming too considering what they were.

Enjoyed it. Quite liked that Parker was mostly in catch-up mode and that Connolly seems to be moving towards more definition of the supernatural elements in the story. Makes me believe that I may actually get to understand the entire story arc before either Connolly or I die (not necessarily something I'm sure of with George Martin)

Enjoyed it. Quite liked that Parker was mostly in catch-up mode and that Connolly seems to be moving towards more definition of the supernatural elements in the story. Makes me believe that I may actually get to understand the entire story arc before either Connolly or I die (not necessarily something I'm sure of with George Martin)

I do hope so. My biggest complaint of the series (and I say that as an unabashed fan) is I'm not entirely sure Connolly knew himself where it was going for a while. In fact I would go as far to say it appeared, at least to my eyes, if there was a original plan this was ditched after Black Angel. There had been so many hints in the early books that Parker himself might be something other. This seemed to reach a real culmination during that book and the supernatural element was finally coming to the fore. What actually happened in the next few books seemed to me a rowing back on any conclusions and more than a little treading of water.

I do hope so. My biggest complaint of the series (and I say that as an unabashed fan) is I'm not entirely sure Connolly knew himself where it was going for a while. In fact I would go as far to say it appeared, at least to my eyes, if there was a original plan this was ditched after Black Angel. There had been so many hints in the early books that Parker himself might be something other. This seemed to reach a real culmination during that book and the supernatural element was finally coming to the fore. What actually happened in the next few books seemed to me a rowing back on any conclusions and more than a little treading of water.

I've always assumed the supernatural elements just emerged as he wrote the series. However, in the Parker Miscellany I started last night, he's adamant it was his plan from the very start - although he went slowly so as to not frighten the horses.

What isn't clear is whether the actual overarching narrative was in his mind or if he'd just decided to include the supernatural as an element and the narrative emerged.

The biggest issue I have with long series of books is keeping all the little relevant details in my head. I read quite a lot but rarely re-read (as with music, I'm constantly looking for new stuff rather than more of the same). As such I forget stuff.

What would be really helpful is an updated synopsis with each new book in a long series (although to be honest, it would even help in a trilogy). I assume some fan sites offer this but I'm always worried about spoilers where - as is usually the case - I'm playing catch up on a long published set of books.

I quite often type in 'name of book free PDF ' and said book appears ready to read, is this wrong ? I dunno, the price is right.

I've read prince of thorns from Paul's recommendation through the above method.

What did you think Al? Not fussed?

I didn't want to mention the Collector, well you can guess why, but absolutely with you there.

Just about finished up with Red Sister, the new Mark Lawrence book. Without looking back a few pages to be sure I think it might have been you that first mentioned Lawrence. This one concerns the coming of age of a gifted child. Yes, it's a well worn tale done countless of times by many different authors but there is a reason for this. When it is done well it's hugely gripping and very satisfying. In this case Lawrence doesn't disappoint.

Lastly for those who might be interested John Connolly is presenting an hour long programme on 6 Music this Sunday at 13.00pm.

This Parker non-fiction book also has extensive sleeve notes to the companion CDs he's given away with the last few Parker hardbacks.

Is Red Sister the first in a new series or part of an existing one? I'm intending to come back to Lawrence's other books.

What did you think Al? Not fussed?

I really enjoyed it, it was difficult to bond to the main character Jorg, and I suppose you have to just roll with punches a little given his age and how his crew just fall in line with his aim, but loved the pace of it and flew through it. Not used to reading anything that gritty really but certainly opened my eyes and I'm considering reading the next in the series.

I wonder if they will ever adapt Charlie Parker into a TV show. It could be brilliant IF they got it right

I agree. Unfortunately Connolly has ruled it out. He won't sell the rights to Parker to anyone. Wants it to remain solely on the page.

Just finished Drive by James Sallis. If you enjoyed the film and wondered if there's more to the book, don't bother. 

I've enjoyed all of Sallis's books as fairly laid back noir. I mentioned on the conspiracy theory thread a novel I've just finished called Fever City by Tim Baker which is a kind of compact 'Cold Six Thousand' and none the worse for it to be honest.

Jumping from 1960 to the present day in an attempt to cut through all the theories about Kennedy's death (with a sub plot about a child kidnapping) and really is very good.

I've enjoyed all of Sallis's books as fairly laid back noir. I mentioned on the conspiracy theory thread a novel I've just finished called Fever City by Tim Baker which is a kind of compact 'Cold Six Thousand' and none the worse for it to be honest.

Jumping from 1960 to the present day in an attempt to cut through all the theories about Kennedy's death (with a sub plot about a child kidnapping) and really is very good.

That sounds like a good read. I enjoyed the Cold Six Thousand and the other books in the trilogy.