You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Zulu

Section_31

"Front rank...FIRE!"

"Second rank...FIRE!"

Replay...

Replay...

This film used to be obligatory for officer cadets at Duntroon, the Australian equivalent to Sandhurst, as an example of how to behave under the pressure of overwhelming odds.

Fucking great movie.

That scene never happened in the real battle, nor was there any of that singing lark from either side. The fighting became sporadic on the evening of the main attack and dwindled out over night. The Zulu's were gone by dawn. I read loads of books on the subject when I was a kid, really fascinated by every battle in the Zulu war. "The Washing of the Spear" by Donald Morris is a top book on the whole subject if anyone's interested.

In the movie, the Natal Native commander, the guy who's talks about the horns of the buffalo strategy and later points out that the Zulu's were honoring the British soldiers by singing to them from the hillside, he arrived with a contingent of Natal Native Horse (who left straight away in the movie) and he was never seen of again during the events of the battle. Most likely left and deserted.

On a side note, Napoleon, the Prince Imperial and the only child of Emperor Napoleon 3rd of France died in the Zulu war fighting for the British. 

• Upvote 3

That scene never happened in the real battle, nor was there any of that singing lark from either side. The fighting became sporadic on the evening of the main attack and dwindled out over night. The Zulu's were gone by dawn. I read loads of books on the subject when I was a kid, really fascinated by every battle in the Zulu war. "The Washing of the Spear" by Donald Morris is a top book on the whole subject if anyone's interested.

In the movie, the Natal Native commander, the guy who's talks about the horns of the buffalo strategy and later points out that the Zulu's were honoring the British soldiers by singing to them from the hillside, he arrived with a contingent of Natal Native Horse (who left straight away in the movie) and he was never seen of again during the events of the battle. Most likely left and deserted.

On a side note, Napoleon, the Prince Imperial and the only child of Emperor Napoleon 3rd of France died in the Zulu war fighting for the British.

Have owned Washing of the Spear for many years. Like yourself I have had an interest from a young age in the Zulu Wars.

• Upvote 1

The prince was caught in a skirmish away from the main battle wasn't he?.

I watched a good documentary about Isandlwana few weeks back. They were looking at what caused the line to fall and the myths surrounding them not getting ammo quickly enough. It seems it was the a basic mistake trying to defend to big a perimeter.There was a great bit from a Zulu medicine man/whitch doctor showing what looks like a ornamental skull he wore. It is actually a medical book explaining how to treat certain wounds.

Ill see if I can find it tonight and post it on here.

The Battle at Isandlwana as much as it was a victory for the Zulu actually virtually sealed their fate, They had so many losses they knew it was unsustainable and the British never fought a pitched Battle against them again. Not much spears can do in a square with Gatling guns protecting the corners.

That said,  probably difficult for them to feel pain when they were doped upto the eyeballs on a snuff made of cannabis, and pain killing mind numbing plant bulbs and hallucinegenic mushrooms. Know wonder they were game. still brave though. As were the British.

Hardly surprising they could  '' run 50 miles in a day and fight a battle at the end of it ''

I'll stick with '' Ripen at noon ''.

Unintentional funny moment. After the battle and Stanley Baker is standing in the burnt remains of the hospital. He is asking Caine ( Bromhead ) how many men were in their. Caine is in shock at the events and is oblivious. Baker says '' They were our men '' Caine replies in an abrupt fashion  and clearly upset with '' Chard ''  well they would be.

Maybe it's funnier in the film.