You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

What happened to Rawls being gay anyway. I think I remember one episode were he was in a gay bar but never heard anything of it again?

That's the beauty of it though. Just adds so much depth to his character. I think the very next scene has him calling Bunny Colvin a cocksucker. He's obviously having some self loathing issues that make him ham up the domineering macho side of things, lesser shows would need to explain that, the Wire credits people with the brains to suss it out themselves.

Great to see a lot of Wire actors in The Walking Dead. Cutty and D'Angelo are now regulars and, it has to be said, pretty much in Wire character. Carver is in it next week too.

• Upvote 1

That's the beauty of it though. Just adds so much depth to his character. I think the very next scene has him calling Bunny Colvin a cocksucker. He's obviously having some self loathing issues that make him ham up the domineering macho side of things, lesser shows would need to explain that, the Wire credits people with the brains to suss it out themselves.

Great to see a lot of Wire actors in The Walking Dead. Cutty and D'Angelo are now regulars and, it has to be said, pretty much in Wire character. Carver is in it next week too.

It's not so simple as him being a secret queer though, the photo in his office aludes to a wife, kids and grandchildren.

The beauty as you say is in what we're not shown.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is Cutty bisexual?

Michael obviously had good reason to be paranoid, but that doesn't mean he was necessarily wrong. There are a few nuggets in S3 and S4 to draw that conclusion.

What nuggets mate?

I think Michael is just over suspicious of men because he's been abused. Cutty puts his hand on his shoulder when they're watching a fight and that seems to be the start of his distrust.

Apparently it's in Marlo's back story that he's been abused too, I reckon him and Chris met in a group home, also reckon it's why a lot of his crew seem a bit 'special'.

What nuggets mate?

I think Michael is just over suspicious of men because he's been abused. Cutty puts his hand on his shoulder when they're watching a fight and that seems to be the start of his distrust.

Apparently it's in Marlo's back story that he's been abused too, I reckon him and Chris met in a group home, also reckon it's why a lot of his crew seem a bit 'special'.

I've got reformation on just now from Season 3. Brother tells Lemar that visceral reaction is an indicator of conflicted sexuality and it's the first episode we see Cutty get really angry - it comes after he gets called a faggot. There's the way over the top response he gives when he thinks Michael reckons he's a cum bumper. Add that to him to spending 14 years inside, as well as the way he voluntarily gave himself up, and I think it's there for people to conclude whatever they think.

The Wire isn't arsed, we see that with Rawls, but I think it may be a maybe.

David Simon wrote an article (up on his site) about the HD conversion. He said that while some scenes look much better (he mentioned a scene at the docks) others lose their impact. A lot of the make-up looks worse, Bubble's dental work apparently doesn't look too great. There were also sync problems with actors who would of been off screen in 4:3.

I don't think I'll bother with the HD myself, barring an episode or two for curiosities sake.