You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fowler: I was a better striker than Owen in every aspect

TLW

5 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Before euro 1996 there was a view Robbie was the better option. Venables stuck with shearer and the roads diverged thereafter. No contest now but it might have been different. 

I don’t see why they couldn’t have played together. Appreciate both wanted to be the focal point but they had some characteristics that potentially would have worked well. I was a bit younger then so maybe I’m wrong but did they at least try?

1 hour ago, Preston Red said:

Imagine him, in his prime, in this squad or the 18/19 & 19/20 under Klopp and in place of Nunez.

I reckon he'd have surpassed Salah and Haaland's records.

He’d have benefited by being born 15 years later but as he was and the personality he had I don’t think there were many managers that would have steered him correctly. Ferguson would have got it out of him even dalglish but instead he had uncle Roy who let him get away with far too much. 

edit: I’m in no way absolving him he absolutely should look at himself when assessing why he didn’t achieve the heights he should have. He still had a great career and goalscoring record for us.

Both were excellent players. I agree that Fowler was the better footballer while Owen was quicker, but I also feel that Owen was more driven (whether that's the England thing or not I don't know) while Fowler liked a night out so wasn't as focussed as he should be. We are fortunate to have seen the best of both in Liverpool colours but at the same time, you can't shake the feeling that both should have been something more.

Fowler will always be my favourite ever player, made me fall in love with the game when I was first getting into football around 1994/95. 30+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons by the time He was 22. But beyond His phenomenal finishing, I think His all round game and link-up play and creativity was underrated, especially after His injury when He'd lost a bit of pace and Owen had broken through and He dropped a bit deeper. Seem to remember Him linking up with Litmanen well, shame they didn't play more together.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Imagine him, in his prime, in this squad or the 18/19 & 19/20 under Klopp and in place of Nunez.

I reckon he'd have surpassed Salah and Haaland's records.

Dunno, I honestly don't know how well he'd fit into this side, probably be better in the city side doing the Halaand shit.

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Dunno, I honestly don't know how well he'd fit into this side, probably be better in the city side doing the Halaand shit.

He'd be a much better fit than Haaland is. Just hovering around the edge of the box burying most of the 200 chances they create every game.

2 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

The answer to the question is who would you go for a pint with. 

Neither really.

I also couldn't really care less about their opinions on things.

This comparing Football players all the time I find incredibly tedious. Good for him if he thinks he was better than Owen, doesn't affect me in the slightest though. I enjoyed watching them both play for Liverpool, a lot.

Owen can fuck off though, going to Man Utd and playing for those Hillsborough singing cunts every week then thinking he can get back in our good books is incredible. Away and throw apples at a bin you fucking wank.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Code said:

Haha but yes.

As goalscorer he was, overall Salah  obviously beats him, but he's a winger/forward, not a striker. 

The only thing he has over Fowler is pace....

And professionalism, dedication, single mindedness to be the absolute best and to drain every last drop of talent out of himself.

Sound familiar?

1 hour ago, dave u said:

And professionalism, dedication, single mindedness to be the absolute best and to drain every last drop of talent out of himself.

Sound familiar?

Which would be fine if he won significantly more, but he didn't.

As for professionalism google Michael Owen, Steve Smith & Goldchip.

The man is a cunt.

4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Fowler will always be my favourite ever player, made me fall in love with the game when I was first getting into football around 1994/95. 30+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons by the time He was 22. But beyond His phenomenal finishing, I think His all round game and link-up play and creativity was underrated, especially after His injury when He'd lost a bit of pace and Owen had broken through and He dropped a bit deeper. Seem to remember Him linking up with Litmanen well, shame they didn't play more together.

Repped for the capital H's.

1 hour ago, Dicko said:

Which would be fine if he won significantly more, but he didn't.

As for professionalism google Michael Owen, Steve Smith & Goldchip.

The man is a cunt.

How is what they won even part of this discussion? It's got nothing to do with it as it's a team game. The other thing isn't remotely relevant to the conversation either. 

The discussion isn't who is the bigger cunt.

11 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

He was technically far better than Owen but I wonder if you gave both players an injury free 12 -14 year career (and everything else stayed the same) if Owen would have gone on to have a better career 9 times out of 10.

Owen always gave the impression that we was more dialled in and focused on his career and where it was going at every step.

We would have always loved Fowler more than Owen because if it.

I agree. Fowler is liked a lot more and he's probably considered a latter day Dalglish to Owen's Keegan by the fans but I think Owen's dedication towards himself was ultimately the difference between the two. As for being better than Shearer? Not a chance.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

How is what they won even part of this discussion? It's got nothing to do with it as it's a team game. The other thing isn't remotely relevant to the conversation either. 

The discussion isn't who is the bigger cunt.

If Michael Owen while at Liverpool had set up a young Steven Gerrard & Jamie Carragher with an unlicensed bookmaker who then harrassed them for £20k each would you have called it professional?

That's what happened with Rooney at England. You're right it is a team game but Michael Owen was never a team player.

Keep seeing it was Robbie lack of professionalism that cut him short. While it probably didn't help, he was caught between two generations and so was the whole club. But it was the knee injury that fucked him above all else. It took a good yard of pace off him. 

Such a shame for him that we didn't defend the corner better in the last seconds of the UEFA cup and stupid pen in last minute of  league cup final. Otherwise he scores the winner in both finals and the first goal in the final game of the season to put us back in the champions league. 

Shit quality but can't find the goals without full highlights

https://youtu.be/DvPhc-18Oc0?si=-9qTqRdpl1jsqR05

https://youtu.be/hSqUveSspWU?si=fQ84Gm7vUs1fvY6m

9 hours ago, dave u said:

Sound familiar?

And goals and assists and appearances and trophys and records.

Fowler would never say he was better than Salah, he knows his stuff. 

In the interview, Robbie said his favourite strike partner was Collymore. I remember watching the pair of them together, Robbie would make runs left, right, come short and go long whilst Collymore ambled about doing fuck all. I love Robbie, one of my favourites, but I don't think his judgement is always the best.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

In the interview, Robbie said his favourite strike partner was Collymore. I remember watching the pair of them together, Robbie would make runs left, right, come short and go long whilst Collymore ambled about doing fuck all. I love Robbie, one of my favourites, but I don't think his judgement is always the best.

They scored 42 and 40 league goals combined in the 2 seasons they played together with Collymore missing 15 league games and Fowler 6. Overall in them 2 season Robbie played 97 games amd scored 67 goals and 12 assists,Collymore 81 games and 35 goals and 16 assists, im not sure how many they started together but its alot. They were a very effective partnership.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

They scored 42 and 40 league goals combined in the 2 seasons they played together with Collymore missing 15 league games and Fowler 6. Overall in them 2 season Robbie played 97 games amd scored 67 goals and 12 assists,Collymore 81 games and 35 goals and 16 assists, im not sure how many they started together but its alot. They were a very effective partnership.

They were,and Collymore's style was often to amble but end up in a dangerous position for the opposition and give them headaches. His manner often overshadowed his actual ability. He was a brilliant player whose demons got the better of his ability,ultimately.

Owen’s dad was a pro footballer and he was brought up to follow in his dad’s footsteps. Robbie fowler is an ordinary lad from liverpool 8 with more to life than football. He was the best finisher in a red shirt I’ve seen,  It’s a shame that knee injury and playing when Roy Evans was manager, when discipline was apparently lax, affected his career. Souey would have turned him into a model pro in my opinion. The other difference with Owen is that he wasn’t brought up a dyed in the wool blue.

21 hours ago, Sparky said:

fowler and Litmanen  were similar players by the time they played together