You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (H) - CL Round of 16 1st leg, Tue 21st Feb 2023 (8:00pm)

Trumo

2 hours ago, stringvest said:

That didn’t quite capture the magnificence of Henderson allowing Vinicius to walk around him, then shit himself and run away pretending to mark someone else who didn’t exist.  Classic. 

I don't think that's correct Stringy. It looked to me like he was anticipating a 1-2 happening and raced out to intercept the pass back but Vinicius done him.  Terrible decision making yes but not the way you're describing it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I don't think that's correct Stringy. It looked to me like he was anticipating a 1-2 happening and raced out to intercept the pass back but Vinicius done him.  Terrible decision making yes but not the way you're describing it. 

Yep, that is exactly what happened. Awful decision making but there was a high chance of Vinicius passing to the other lad who had made a free run to the center of the penalty box. Henderson didn't shit himself, he just made a stupid decision and ended up not staying close to Vinicius or tracking the other lad. 

• Upvote 1

Anyway, looking at the bigger picture, both Alisson and Courtois made serious individual efforts to come at King Karius last night. Spectacular efforts by both, but the timing is ideal as the main man has Wembley as his canvas and Manchester United as his crayons this Sunday, so I reckon he'll bring things to a different level again.  Does anybody doubt him?

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Yep, that is exactly what happened. Awful decision making but there was a high chance of Vinicius passing to the other lad who had made a free run to the center of the penalty box. Henderson didn't shit himself, he just made a stupid decision and ended up not staying close to Vinicius or tracking the other lad. 

Agreed mate. Caught in no man's land.

The typical pundit's narrative continues to be of no real help. 'Teams can open up Liverpool at will' - no, they can't, otherwise we'd be thumped ten-nil every game. We still, clearly, stop many attacking moves, we still, clearly, defend many corners okay, and we still, clearly, break up a lot of opposition play out on the wings and in the middle. What we DON'T do is do it consistently enough at crucial times. And that isn't the same as 'being sliced through like butter'. That's just lazy, over-generalised claptrap. The problem is more complex, and, yes, it is affected from the forward line through to the keeper, but there are multiple failures of concentration and connection going on which are far more of a complex thing to contend with in a coaching sense than 'tigtening things up'. I really do feel we need to resist getting sucked into the 'they can't defend at all' perspective - there lies only mad ranting.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I'd go with that if he didn't take himself out of harm's way several times a game.

13 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

The only thing that's still annoying me about last night is the trolls having a field day in the comments sections of the media coverage.

Otherwise I'm gravy. Shit like this just doesn't annoy me as much as it used to.

Bit Ironic that first paragraph CS. You might understand now how we feel about some of the stuff you post about the team and Klopp on here. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Bit Ironic that first paragraph CS. You might understand now how we feel about some of the stuff you post about the team and Klopp on here. 

Maybe you see it that way mate. I'm talking about the childish 'Loserpool', 'LiVARpool' bollocks, and the sicker and more sinister shite like 'I wonder they'll blame this time', and 'I wonder how damaged the RM coach is?'.

I'm a pessimist, don't try and change me man, I'm too old to change.

40 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

The only thing that's still annoying me about last night is the trolls having a field day in the comments sections of the media coverage.

Otherwise I'm gravy. Shit like this just doesn't annoy me as much as it used to.

Yeah that pissed me off too. I noticed the BBC turned their comment section off after 3000-odd vitriolic comments

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yeah that pissed me off too. I noticed the BBC turned their comment section off after 3000-odd vitriolic comments

Surprised they turned them off at all, they don't usually bother.

I see they've still got Phil McNugget writing for them, bet he couldn't wait to stick the knife in last night, bluenose tit!

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

But....but....he doesn't even track the fucker.  Henderson gives up, the Madrid lad arrives unmarked on the penalty spot...

No he doesn't. He tracks the wrong man and should have worried about the player closest to the goal,Vicinius. It was an extremely bad decision. Not uncommon for most of our players this season.

I'm not overly perturbed, what did we learn that was knew? The only way that we were going to go through was a mixture of guts, determination and plenty of luck. They are a way better team than us and they stuffed us. 

To me it just underlined that we need to spend big, but we all knew this anyway.

• Upvote 1