You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

Ukraine egged on by the west was leaning politically and even militarily towards the EU and NATO, which Russia found uncomfortable happening on their doorstep, as would any other western country if a neighbouring country adopted conflicting ideals. It's geopolitics I'm afraid, but a shame that Ukraine have been left in the lurch like that in the end pursuing false promises.

42 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Ukraine egged on by the west was leaning politically and even militarily towards the EU and NATO, which Russia found uncomfortable happening on their doorstep, as would any other western country if a neighbouring country adopted conflicting ideals. It's geopolitics I'm afraid, but a shame that Ukraine have been left in the lurch like that in the end pursuing false promises.

Maybe we should invade Ireland?  Right on our doorstep, siding with them EU fuckers, they've got it coming?  And them Scottish agitators, don't get me started. 

1 hour ago, ManéMan said:

I found this quite illuminating - OK its a YT vid but the author is pretty up on geopolitics and the narrative fits the actions.

Buckle in, kids.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, the chimp said:

There's neo-nazi groups pretty much everywhere in Europe. Some obviously more overt than others. Not that this has been said so much on here (but I have read it elsewhere) that doesn't give carte-blanche for anyone to invade. I'm a bit baffled by any support of Russia, or any whataboutery here to be honest. I have some understanding of their concerns, but they've invaded a sovereign nation. If it was wrong when the Americans do it in Iraq or wherever else, if it's wrong when the British did it with any number of nations in the past, if it's wrong to see Palestinians occupied by a foreign force, then it sure as fuck is wrong for the Russians to be doing this. Actually, I'm not even blaming the Russians here, this is all on Putin. The cunt.

Of course it's wrong.

But when we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan  we were fighting insurgents and we were fighting the war on terror.

When the Russians invade Ukraine they are battling freedom fighters

Of course   both are wrong,it's the different reaction which is the key

I don't think I've seen Anybofy on here or anywhere really,say the Russians are in the right

35 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Of course it's wrong.

But when we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan  we were fighting insurgents and we were fighting the war on terror.

When the Russians invade Ukraine they are battling freedom fighters

Of course   both are wrong,it's the different reaction which is the key

I don't think I've seen Anybofy on here or anywhere really,say the Russians are in the right

Insurgents is just another word for freedom fighters surely? The Iraq war wasn't about the war on terror, nobody ever seriously thought Saddam Hussein was in league with Bin Laden, Colin Powell was actually laughed at when he suggested it at the UN because it was so ridiculous, Bin Laden hated him as much as he hated the West because he wasn't a 'Muslim' leader, he was an empire builder (that's why the West originally felt it could do business with him).

Most of the insurgency only kicked off when the Americans had the great sense to sack the entire army, leaving lots of men who knew how to use guns with no money. 

Lest we forget the end of Rambo III, when the Russians were in Afghanistan and not the West.

5whaj2kr4wi31.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a 

I don't really understand why people bring all this up though to be honest, it's like the French having a problem with the fact the Nazis just shot their town's mayor and someone saying 'yeah but what about Napoleon!'. 

Two wrongs and all that. 

The Ukraine must be overrun with nazis because Ross Kemp did one of his ‘I’m dead hard’ documentaries about them. The media loves to amplify extremes, like Theroux and his doc on that tiny nob head American First kid recently. 10,000 people watch his live streams, but Theroux gave him a big BBC audience. Not making out there aren’t dangerous nazi twats around, because of course there are, but they shout loudly. 

10 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Maybe we should invade Ireland?  Right on our doorstep, siding with them EU fuckers, they've got it coming?  And them Scottish agitators, don't get me started. 

Historically we did invade Ireland for security reasons. Us invading Ireland for reasons of security is a huge part of Irish history. We invaded, partly conquered and colonised Ireland, largely due to security concerns that the French or Spanish could stage an invasion through Ireland.

Acknowledging the role of Russias security concerns does not mean justifying this war of aggresion. It is just necessary if one is thinking rationally. 

24 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Historically we did invade Ireland for security reasons. Us invading Ireland for reasons of security is a huge part of Irish history. We invaded, partly conquered and colonised Ireland, largely due to security concerns that the French or Spanish could stage an invasion through Ireland.

Acknowledging the role of Russias security concerns does not mean justifying this war of aggresion. It is just necessary if one is thinking rationally. 

Are you sure mate?

Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland - Wikipedia

Cromwell invaded years later to challenge the Irish Catholic rule. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you sure mate?

Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland - Wikipedia

Cromwell invaded years later to challenge the Irish Catholic rule. 

Yes, England/Britain always felt vulnerable through Ireland.

"Cromwell invaded years later to challenge the Irish Catholic rule."

Yes. England was consistantly at war with Catholic Spain and had faced an existential threat from the Spanish Armada. Under Elizabeth England was basically a Protestant police state. 

Having a Catholic nation on the nations flank was a constant source of anxiety. The Irish Catholic confederates were supplied arms and money by the Papacy. 

Its interesting you mention Cromwell. The proximate reason for his invasion of Ireland was due to well founded concerns that English royalists were going to combine with Irish Confederate Catholics and invade England through Ireland to restore the monarchy. 

The reason for English colonialism northern Ireland was not based on a desire to exploit the great wealth of the region. There was none. 

• Upvote 2

Also its worth noting that America got extremely pissy when the Soviet Union but missiles in Cuba that could reach Amercian cities in minutes. It was called "The Cuban Missile Crisis".

Again, not justifing this appaling war but all nations security concerns do need to be taken seriously.

30 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Also its worth noting that America got extremely pissy when the Soviet Union but missiles in Cuba that could reach Amercian cities in minutes. It was called "The Cuban Missile Crisis".

Again, not justifing this appaling war but all nations security concerns do need to be taken seriously.

Obviously, some nations security concerns must be taken more seriously than other nations security concerns.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Wait, what?! Biden called the Ukrainians 'Iranians' in his State of the Union speech? Fucking hell.

They should send him for a very long lie down and put that Psaki bird in for him, she's shit hot 

• Upvote 1