You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

7 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Danny Ings has turned down a contract extension, 1 year left on his contract. Could be a bargaain to be had there for someone.

Always felt Danny had unfinished business on our treatment table 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They did??

WTF honestly?

So much of that post is right w regards to on the pitch - certainly Thiago is that player, whether he can bring another level on a regular basis we will see - but he is the world class example of that.

I think Jota was brought in as another direct option and will continue to see alot of time in the "Firmino" role.

"We struck gold with the crop we have at the moment" - or over the course of a few years the club assembled a great side - it happened, it wasn't luck. If it was all down to Klopp, good, he is part of the club and certainly onboard with FSG.

TBH I really don't get the infatuation with print media the English have. Especially in this day and age.

So if FSG won't help us when they can easily afford to 

Define "help." Is that a cash infusion - loan/debt - what is help? And how much do you think "we" need?

I think anyone in a few years or decades time will remember this team amongst the best in the club's history.

Well we had our very own Dougie going and getting gillett on the record with an interview, and didn't SoS spring up from a forum? 

This crop of gold we both refer to didn't all get here at once and we hit 97 points, I think some had 3 years, and even some of those were gambles, but when our ambition was top 4 then those were the signings we could make, that's why we could make the top 4 with Karius, but we never could have won the league with him. Even though it's 3 places, the levels are completely different, so where are the next great players coming from?

I think our problem is that the club is happy to just let every last drop of sweat be taken before we look to replace, and start from 4-6th again. I'm a huge fan of the NBA, and current FSG remind me of basketball ownership where everything is about maximising a window, not planning on a recyclable dynasty.

It's not really about the print media, it's the fact that no one is asking any questions about them or our ambitions, and the local media is an active and vociferous cheerleader for them over and above the needs of the football team. They announced the other day that FSG had got themselves a new investment partner for hundreds of millions, but absolutely nothing about the club scraping around the back sofa to find loose change in order to replace the only player we had who was pretty much guaranteed to be fit for every match.

FFP is being phased out, the club cost them about £300m and is currently worth $4 billion, so yes, I think they should be dipping into some of their own future profits, when the club have helped that number by paying for capacity increases that will benefit them more than us when it comes time to sell up.

How much? I don't know tbh. Ideally, keep doing what they're doing, but if a potential generational player comes along, like Havertz last Summer, or Sancho this, then we should have the ability to be in the mix, because at the moment, they do the same things on Thursday as we did on Tuesday, regardless of what happens on Wednesday, and it's not only short sighted, bt damaging long term. Especially when either of those players would have sell on value if they didn't work out, but massive potential profits if they did well. I specifically used Havertz because he didn't have the best of seasons, but with the way it ended with a CL winning goal, his performances for Germany being pretty good, he's set himself up to kick on again.

2 years ago, Sancho preferred us, and all I've seen for the last 2 years is united constantly working him, and we've disappeared out of view.

Those are 2 examples, and of course there are accompanying caveats such as Klopp desperately didn't want them etc, but in terms of what i think FSG could be doing to help us it would be in the potential generational players. Because if the best players in the world are back at 150-200m levels, and the best young players are in the £60-80m range, then we're effectively shopping in the Baros - Cisse levels if we can, maybe at a push hit £40m in 85 trillion installments. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Keep your powder kegs dry lads, you can defend/attack FSG as much as you want in 8 weeks. Until then it's absolutely fucking pointless.

Sums up my thoughts but I do see a kind of "heads I win tales you lose " mentality for some posters when looking at FSG and what they have done as owners.

@Horus

Thats a good post man. I don't really agree on the main points but, ok.

No chance the club is worth 4 bill but if it is then extra seats (or boxes) at the ground had very little to do with that kind of increase.

As for "no one is asking questions" - it is pretty much everywhere except the paper that keeps getting quoted. 

Put it this way - if SOS was formed from a forum (which I really do not know) then the questions have been/are/will continue to be asked.

But, "we need more money" isn't a question. It is either a request or a demand. And you have just said FFP is lame and you don't even know how much would be needed for these "generational players".

For me, if there are generational players being sold every year then they can't really be termed as such.

At this point only M'Bappe fits that bill for me.

As for player values after the Vid - what is the second biggest fee so far? I don't even know - is it Konate?

I think you are spot on with the NBA analogy because LFC are not - and haven't been for decades - a club that challenges for top honors every season. It has always been a culmination of a few years energy and really only gone over the top three times in 30 years. This side was built for a relatively sustained run in that mindset - I would say this season was supposed to be the culmination - not sure you can look at the injuries we sustained and suggest any club would have done different. Or, realistically, any better.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

Keep your powder kegs dry lads, you can defend/attack FSG as much as you want in 8 weeks. Until then it's absolutely fucking pointless.

How dare you tell me what I should and shouldn't be overreacting to. This is my hysterical fanny time of the month.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, m0e said:

Apparently Lille are prepared to sell Sanches, and we are "prepared to bid".

Suck on that, FSG haterrzzzzz

There's reports that "La voix du Nord" said this which is a reliable local source, but I couldn't actually see where it says that in the magazine. So, mysterious situation.

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Horus

Thats a good post man. I don't really agree on the main points but, ok.

No chance the club is worth 4 bill but if it is then extra seats (or boxes) at the ground had very little to do with that kind of increase.

As for "no one is asking questions" - it is pretty much everywhere except the paper that keeps getting quoted. 

Put it this way - if SOS was formed from a forum (which I really do not know) then the questions have been/are/will continue to be asked.

But, "we need more money" isn't a question. It is either a request or a demand. And you have just said FFP is lame and you don't even know how much would be needed for these "generational players".

For me, if there are generational players being sold every year then they can't really be termed as such.

At this point only M'Bappe fits that bill for me.

As for player values after the Vid - what is the second biggest fee so far? I don't even know - is it Konate?

I think you are spot on with the NBA analogy because LFC are not - and haven't been for decades - a club that challenges for top honors every season. It has always been a culmination of a few years energy and really only gone over the top three times in 30 years. This side was built for a relatively sustained run in that mindset - I would say this season was supposed to be the culmination - not sure you can look at the injuries we sustained and suggest any club would have done different. Or, realistically, any better.

Just to clarify a couple of points: 

The club valuation is based on the Forbes valuation.

What would be worth more, a club with the 60k capacity, or a 40k capacity in need of a new stadium or renovation? I'm pretty sure it's all been paid by us, which I'm not against - I'm just saying that money from the clubs fans has had a direct route into the pockets of FSG.

I said FFP is being phased out, not that it's lame. But if you buy a club under one set of rules, and hide (not the best choice of words) behind that as a reason they won't be helping, then where does that leave us against the rest, when we're the only club being governed by non-existent regulations?

I was talking about potential generational players, not actual generational players because they will always be out of our reach. Gambling £75m on Sancho or Havertz isn't going to cost that much if they fail, because they're young and still have potential to hit world class at another club whereas the upside is potentially massive, either in a sell on fee once they become generational, or for the benefit of the first team of paying 75m for a 7/8/9 year career with us. That was my point.

Other than finding players for as cheap as possible, which again, on it's face isn't necessarily a bad idea, I just don't know what our transfer aims are. We had a £7m punt on Taki, but no interest in Haaland for £17m.

7 minutes ago, Horus said:

Other than finding players for as cheap as possible, which again, on it's face isn't necessarily a bad idea, I just don't know what our transfer aims are. We had a £7m punt on Taki, but no interest in Haaland for £17m.

This has been said a million times but Haaland clearly had a career plan and was only signing for a stepping stone like Leipzig or Dortmund. 

This "we chose Minamino over Haaland" thing is such nonsense.

And our transfer aims are very clear. It's mostly  22-25 year olds for around 35-45m.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This has been said a million times but Haaland clearly had a career plan and was only signing for a stepping stone like Leipzig or Dortmund. 

This "we chose Minamino over Haaland" thing is such nonsense.

And our transfer aims are very clear. It's mostly  22-25 year olds for around 35-45m.

Well united went all in on him; he chose Dortmund, but they still went all in, and it also stands them in good stead when he becomes properly available again.

i didn't say we "chose" minamino over Haaland, I said we took a punt on minamino, but were never in for Haaland. I never made it an either, or.

14 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I guess those giddy “peaceful “ days in May are a thing of the past….Well till next May that is ..

#GlazersOut

Mark Goldbridge
@markgoldbridge
Sancho, Varane, Camavinga keep Pogba and De Gea and that is how a real big ambitious club acts

I wonder if he owns a green and gold scarf

40 minutes ago, Stickman said:

I guess those giddy “peaceful “ days in May are a thing of the past….Well till next May that is ..

#GlazersOut

Mark Goldbridge
@markgoldbridge
Sancho, Varane, Camavinga keep Pogba and De Gea and that is how a real big ambitious club acts

If they dont sign Varane and Camavinga, what is he going to claim?