You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

36 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

While not perfect, I thought the officiating last night was very good. 

yeah, he was pretty good. he let the game flow, tried to play advantage, stopped the game quickly if he didn't. once of the better ones we have had this season and probably the first decent one in europe. 

I thought the ref was fine except he should have got the yellow card out  a bit quicker.  A lot of niggly fouls stopping us in our tracks whenever we did manage to win a midfield battle.  

• Upvote 1

I can't remember which one it was, but one of the city players was complaining about  Arsenals 'tactical fouls' breaking up their attacks. A bit fucking rich since that's been the bald frauds favoured defensive tactics for years.

2 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

After some major VAR controvosies in Turkey, they've binned their VAR officials and hired officials from all over Europe.

Tellingly they didn't hire any of PGMOLs turkeys 

That's quite telling isn't it , I suppose most of them are too  busy though doing side gigs in The Arab states 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Doesn't that just tell you everything you need to know about referees. 

In Italy, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Netherlands, they’ve all had referees proven to have been corrupt or there are current ongoing investigations into bent referees. These aren’t backwater Eastern European leagues away from the spotlight. 

How fucking naïve do you have to be to buy this bullshit that ‘all refs are honest’. 

What’s more believable, this league is the only one in European top flight football to not have bent refs or it’s been happening here as well? 

• Upvote 5

I played a match once where the referee had sent me off the previous week for handball on the goal line. There was a referee observer at the original game and he came over and apologised to our manager at the end of the game, said it was never a handball.

When we had that same ref the following week I was the captain and was chatting with the ref in the centre circle before the match and told him what the observer had said, told him the league had wiped the suspension, even added some flavour to the story and told him I have a written apology at home. I've never enjoyed a match as much as I enjoyed that one, I realised pretty early I had free reign to do what I wanted. Even the lad I was marking began to find it funny, I kicked and dragged him all over the pitch. The funny thing about the whole episode was it was a clear handball and red card.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, No2 said:

I played a match once where the referee had sent me off the previous week for handball on the goal line. There was a referee observer at the original game and he came over and apologised to our manager at the end of the game, said it was never a handball.

When we had that same ref the following week I was the captain and was chatting with the ref in the centre circle before the match and told him what the observer had said, told him the league had wiped the suspension, even added some flavour to the story and told him I have a written apology at home. I've never enjoyed a match as much as I enjoyed that one, I realised pretty early I had free reign to do what I wanted. Even the lad I was marking began to find it funny, I kicked and dragged him all over the pitch. The funny thing about the whole episode was it was a clear handball and red card.

What level was this?

12 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

What level was this?

This was in Dublin, so Leinster Senior League, by that stage I was in the Jonny Evans stage of my career, so washed up and playing for a shit team.

• Haha 1

Keith Hackett having a moan today about the penalty incident in the fa cup game yesterday in the telegraph (according to SSN). The thing for me is it's yet another incident where Michael Oliver favours man city and Coote is his VAR and refuses to ask him to go to the screen. It's incredible how often this happens with Oliver, his decisions don't seem to much go against his employers Abu Dhabi. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

And this could get interesting! 

20240421_162140.jpg

I can totally understand how we got to this point - and that a club could do this.

The standard of officiating is appalling. Couple that with the mess, that is VAR. Then add into the mix the fact that Refs have admitted to falsifying VAR decisions to protect their mates. 

Football is the real loser in this shit show.

9 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I can totally understand how we got to this point - and that a club could do this.

The standard of officiating is appalling. Couple that with the mess, that is VAR. Then add into the mix the fact that Refs have admitted to falsifying VAR decisions to protect their mates. 

There was a Championship game about 10 days ago involving Birmingham and due to be reffed by Bobby Madley, who is known to be a Huddersfield fan, one of Birmingham's relegation rivals. The Brummie fans got a petition up to remove from the game and they were successful. Madley was sent to referee Bristol City instead, who were playing Blackburn, one of Huddersfield's relegation rivals.....

I see Coote and Attwell have been vilified as VARs. They are two of the weakest PL officials on the pitch. There's no way they'll have the backbone to overturn senior refs like Oliver or Taylor in the VAR booth.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frank Dacey said:

I see Coote and Attwell have been vilified as VARs. They are two of the weakest PL officials on the pitch. There's no way they'll have the backbone to overturn senior refs like Oliver or Taylor in the VAR booth.

That's why offside is where they can genuinely alter games (and have been on a now weekly basis) - any decision there has no adverse effect on the guy in the middle.

1 hour ago, Jennings said:

For me it is not about the decisions. It's about the appearance of impartiality. I've been banging on for ages about why there seems to be differing standards for what is classed as impartial depending on who the club/region is. It's a very clear thing and always has been, you don't ref your own team. Or that of rivals. Rivals can consist of rivals based on region or rivals based on league position, yet it seems to happen with complete inconsistency - Manchester refs can ref Manchester clubs for example. Merseyside refs don't get the same opportunity with Everton and Liverpool. Then there's the refs who operate abroad and take wages from owners of clubs in this country. 

41 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Neville is appalled by this.

And this follows on from what I've posted above. Neville is appalled because forest question the impartiality of the VAR. He's had a right old rant. But all we need is the appearance of impartiality for the whole house of cards to come crashing down. I've said this consistently. Howard Webb should be out of a job, because he thinks he is above these petty protocols. 

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

Neville is appalled by this.

Neville thinks the Young handball wasn’t a penalty. Not sure what he’s been watching the last 5 years. Knobhead 

• Upvote 1