You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Fuck off you Geordie cunt

No defending that

Laws as written, fuck off

All he did there was underline exactly what klopp had said; that only someone who's never kicked a ball professionally would reach that conclusion. That they look at the rule as it's written in the book and apply it verbatim. It's traffic warden refereeing at best. Blatant and purposeful bias at worst. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Pidge said:

To be fair standards used to be lower...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67867408

That's the thing.  Much as I now hate VAR, more to the point their use of it, the idea of ever going back to no reviews and even less accountability is frightening.  They would be even further emboldened in their bias/corruption.

58 minutes ago, Moo said:

That's the thing.  Much as I now hate VAR, more to the point their use of it, the idea of ever going back to no reviews and even less accountability is frightening.  They would be even further emboldened in their bias/corruption.

i don't see how it makes any difference. if they don't want to give a pen, they wont. we have seen incidents like that loads of times where the VAR has let it slide when the decision was given on the pitch. and then you get all the shite that VAR brings and no better outcomes. that match the other night, every single goal we scored ruined by VAR. about 3 minutes wasted to confirm the 1st pen. there's no need for goalies to try and put forwards off in a pen situation any more, VAR does it for them. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

i don't see how it makes any difference. if they don't want to give a pen, they wont. we have seen incidents like that loads of times where the VAR has let it slide when the decision was given on the pitch. and then you get all the shite that VAR brings and no better outcomes. that match the other night, every single goal we scored ruined by VAR. about 3 minutes wasted to confirm the 1st pen. there's no need for goalies to try and put forwards off in a pen situation any more, VAR does it for them. 

The big difference without VAR is we would likely adjust out high line. We pushed our line higher the season VAR came in knowing as long as we timed it right it would be caught if the lino got it wrong

4 hours ago, Pidge said:

To be fair standards used to be lower...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/67867408

Incredible that. The so-called best ref and he's not giving that. I guess it's easier giving us the first one when we're 2-0 down, but when it's to equalise he's having none of that. SYP cunt.

Also interesting to see Suarez and Sturridge not taking their chances. I thought it was only Nunez who did that....

Just sayin'

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The big difference without VAR is we would likely adjust out high line. We pushed our line higher the season VAR came in knowing as long as we timed it right it would be caught if the lino got it wrong

that seems a small price to pay. klopp is a smart guy, i am sure he would work it out. 

I don't think I've ever praised Webb before but I will give his due on this one. The rule changes they have made around time wasting has worked, the 30 seconds off the pitch after receiving treatment is the reason Joelinton was only down twice on Monday and got up fairly quickly both times. I'd go as far as to say its had a huge effect on Newcastle's season, probably more so than injuries.

2 hours ago, No2 said:

I don't think I've ever praised Webb before but I will give his due on this one. The rule changes they have made around time wasting has worked, the 30 seconds off the pitch after receiving treatment is the reason Joelinton was only down twice on Monday and got up fairly quickly both times. I'd go as far as to say its had a huge effect on Newcastle's season, probably more so than injuries.

it's not a webb one that. it was IFAB (collina etc) and webb apparently didn't want to do it. 

edit.... i think this booking players for timewasting, kicking the ball away. looking slightly at the ref are all his though.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

it's not a webb one that. it was IFAB (collina etc) and webb apparently didn't want to do it. 

edit.... i think this booking players for timewasting, kicking the ball away. looking slightly at the ref are all his though.

That second one figures. I also cant see it lasting much longer given how pathetic that is given the obvious,and more serious,fouls missed.

13 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That second one figures. I also cant see it lasting much longer given how pathetic that is given the obvious,and more serious,fouls missed.

we were talking about that at the game on Monday. They're letting players away with dangerous challenges where they're not even playing the ball, no booking, then someone gets pissed off with their shitness and it's an instant yellow. 

On 03/01/2024 at 13:55, dave u said:

Incredible that. The so-called best ref and he's not giving that. I guess it's easier giving us the first one when we're 2-0 down, but when it's to equalise he's having none of that. SYP cunt.

Also interesting to see Suarez and Sturridge not taking their chances. I thought it was only Nunez who did that....

Just sayin'

It's worth remembering he went on to ref the World Cup final six months after this and embarrassed himself by giving a yellow card for this.

images (1).jpeg

• Upvote 1