You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Diogo Jota

1892-LFCWasBorn

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Liam Miller? Layton Stewart? 

We have got plenty of options at under 23 level? 

We obviously aren't going to agree on this. If you can't see why risking players in a meaningless game when we've already got an injury hit squad then so be it. 

Layton Stewart is only playing for the u23s because the two regular centre forward options - Glatzel and Hardy - are both injured. Liam Miller is playng really well but is having fuck all luck in front of goal. Injuries seem to be hitting the club at all levels at the moment.

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Not going to lie, we could lose 4-0 to the Mancs at Anfield losing half our team to injury and half to suspension and that picture would cheer me up!

I’d pay good money to see him do an hour’s stand-up. It would be brilliantly awful. 

14 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Klopp doesn’t get much wrong but that midweek line up was insanity 

It’s £2.5m for every group game win, so I imagine in a year when the finances are fucked due to Covid, the club wanted him to put out a team to try and get the win. Injuries can happen in training as with Gomez, we’re just having no luck at the moment.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Klopp doesn’t get much wrong but that midweek line up was insanity 

To be fair it's not like Jota has had loads of games, is old or is injury prone, lads like that want to play and he won't always get games this season due to our front three.

22 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d pay good money to see him do an hour’s stand-up. It would be brilliantly awful. 

Like coming across a washed out comedian in a club when you've been on the ale with all of your mates for the whole day. Everything he'd say would be top notch comedy and he'd feed off the positive energy of the drunken lads in the room. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I would take him back in January if its a serious injury to Jota.  I think he could do a decent job against some of the teams in the bottom half of the league. He seems to be more suited to our way of playing that Origi or Minamino. 

100%

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair it's not like Jota has had loads of games, is old or is injury prone, lads like that want to play and he won't always get games this season due to our front three.

Right - but for an organisation so deeply rooted in statistics, you'd expect them to play the probabilities/mitigation of risk game. TAA played the full match. Salah played the full match. Practically the full first 11 (minus Wijnaldum/Matip) had minutes. It just invites situations like these - this time it just so happened to be suffered by Jota.

I understand it could happen in any game - but if it did you'd want it in a game that actually has competitive meaning. Midtjylland tried to kick us off the pitch in the first game w/ 5 yellow cards, so it just compounded the risk even further. As it was the entire approach was a false economy anyway because we had a mingling of barely-pros/barely-fit/first 11 team members playing with the air of a friendly and lost the so-called financial bonus anyway. Very weird decision; we'll probably suffer for it.

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He seems to just take the latest Twitter rumours and make out he's telling people some news. He said thiago was sound 2 days after the club had withdrawn him from training but hadn't announced anything publicly. 

Dunno he does seem spot on with some stuff

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Meanwhile in Blackburn...

I really don’t do this, but... that looks an awful lot like the kind of goal Lionel Messi scores. Just saying. 

whether we’ve got an injury crisis or not, we should leave this lad exactly where he is, playing regularly and getting amongst the goals, developing and learning way more than he will mostly on the bench here.

He’s still only 17. He’s for the future, not for injury cover.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I really don’t do this, but... that looks an awful lot like the kind of goal Lionel Messi scores. Just saying. 

whether we’ve got an injury crisis or not, we should leave this lad exactly where he is, playing regularly and getting amongst the goals, developing and learning way more than he will mostly on the bench here.

Looks to have put on a bit of timber too. He'll be very hard to knock off the thing

22 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Messi was playing for Barcelona at 17...

If Jota is only out for two months then yes leave him at Blackburn. 

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

If he's out two months then yes bring Elliot back for January, you can always loan him back after a few weeks. Good chance to get a look at him and see how he's progressing 

Agreed. If it’s two months, we need to bring him back or spend big the second the transfer window opens. Given the frequency with which players are dropping like flies, having Origi and Minamino as the only options from the bench isn’t going to cut it this season if we have designs on winning anything of note.

14 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I know what you mean, but assuming Jota is out for 2 months & based on the fact Origi and Minamino aren’t up to it and Shaqiri is always injured, I’d have him as 4th choice until Jota is back.

He’d certainly get minutes.