You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

It's a load of bollocks. If the kids want to smoke they'll smoke if they want to vape they'll vape. Streeting should have more pressing concerns than this nonsense.

A bold proposal might be for Streeting to guarantee to pay NHS staff a more than inflationary wage and commit to invest in our NHS.

Public health isn't a side-hustle for a Shadow Health Secretary: it's every bit as important as investing in the NHS and it's staff.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Agreed, hardly a surprise from the current Labour though, they're coming across as right authoritarian cunts at times. Wouldn't be surprised if they go after vaping too and they're also whining that the current online safety bill doesn't work properly. I can't imagine the hours Starmer's mob will spend trying to censor shit that they don't like but it'll probably be a lot. Hope what they do gets fucking leaked too once they're at it if they win.

Still hoping for a small majority if they do it, definitely think they need keeping in check and don't trust them at all.

Seriously?

The Government are lurching towards full-blown Fascism, but Labour are "authoritarian" because they're planning to consult on a range of measures to reduce smoking?

21 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

What’s your opinion on food safety legislation? If McDonalds want to sell plastic in their milkshakes and market them all over the place in order to return bigger profits, are you okay with that assuming the buyer knew the risk? Or are you an authoritarian cunt getting in the way of me and my plastic maccies?

I wasn't talking about plastic in McDonalds. They could bring in regulation if they wanted to make sure tobacco doesn't have as much shit in it, I'd be ok with that. Banning it though they can fuck off. What about people who don't smoke cigs all over the place but use them for tobacco for the odd joint when they're at home? They should stay out of it.

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Seriously?

The Government are lurching towards full-blown Fascism, but Labour are "authoritarian" because they're planning to consult on a range of measures to reduce smoking?

They're on about a ban, and along with a bunch of other stuff yeah I think they definitely come across as having problems with being authoritarian. Wanting to be tough on regulating what people can say online is a red flag, as was the amount they tried to manipulate CLP's, Starmer shutting down criticism of NATO, etc.

I don't go on about this stuff usually in here as it'll just lead to arguments but yeah I think they're definitely moving up into the authoritarian area of the left/middle and not the libertarian one if we were to think of the political compass from that test people sometimes do (after checking recently I'm still down in the bottom left on that and I guess several others here are too.)

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I know, I was asking a question. 

I think I get where you were going, that's why I said I'd be fine if they tried to regulate tobacco in the sense of getting some of the crap out of it. I'm ok with govs trying to get toxic stuff out of things, that's a bit different from going on about an all out ban on tobacco though.

I know you can say tobacco is toxic full stop but I think the corps also add loads of crap into cigs too, I've never been a fan of that. Before I switched to vaping I'd often buy organic rolling tobacco to try and avoid as much as possible of it. And the only reason I kind of jumped in here was because when I see smoking bans I assume they'll target vaping too.

56 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Public health isn't a side-hustle for a Shadow Health Secretary: it's every bit as important as investing in the NHS and it's staff.

Yes I'm sure this nonsense is everything as important as the crisis facing NHS workers this winter.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yes I'm sure this nonsense is everything as important as the crisis facing NHS workers this winter.

"This nonsense" is the stuff that keeps people out of hospital. It's not an either/or thing: the Shadow Health Secretary has to be concerned with public health (as, y'know, the clue in the job title) as well as every other aspect of healthcare.

11 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think I get where you were going, that's why I said I'd be fine if they tried to regulate tobacco in the sense of getting some of the crap out of it. I'm ok with govs trying to get toxic stuff out of things, that's a bit different from going on about an all out ban on tobacco though.

I know you can say tobacco is toxic full stop but I think the corps also add loads of crap into cigs too, I've never been a fan of that. Before I switched to vaping I'd often buy organic rolling tobacco to try and avoid as much as possible of it. And the only reason I kind of jumped in here was because when I see smoking bans I assume they'll target vaping too.

Good, it'll stop those disgusting plumes of smoke you can't avoid when walking through town or at an outdoor public event.

Good to see the useful idiots are out and willing to jump on anything Starmer and Labour do. 

31 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Good to see the useful idiots are out and willing to jump on anything Starmer and Labour do. 

If I jumped on anything Starmer and Labour did this thread would be way bigger than it is. People should be able to smoke if they want to, kind of authoritarian to say otherwise.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nelly-Matip said:

I for one can’t wait to hear Jonathan Ashworth’s speech tomorrow at the Iain-Duncan Smith formed think-tank, the Centre for Social Justice, in which he will outline Labour’s plan to “encourage” the long-term sick back into work.

I believe you. I have no doubt that you absolutely can’t wait, no matter the content, to jump all over it. If you’re lucky he might have an entire line you can pull out and distort, ignoring everything else. Yeah, bet you can’t wait. After all, if he is speaking at the Centre for Social Justice he must believe the things the founders believed, right? I mean, why else mention it. Who founded RT and Press TV again?

Fortunately, you don’t even need to wait; it has already been briefed to the press. Looks like his plan is to support those who would like to work but couldn’t afford it by not making them go through the current reassessment procedure again if it doesn’t work out within a year. 

Hopefully you can find some dirt. Best of luck. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/thousands-benefit-claimants-spared-reassessments-28913253

19 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

If I jumped on anything Starmer and Labour did this thread would be way bigger than it is. People should be able to smoke if they want to, kind of authoritarian to say otherwise.

Ach, I do miss the old days. Back when you were writing a book to help people understand conspiracies and literally doctoring evidence. Nobody puts in that sort of time and care anymore. It’s all grotty links to Twitter and bare faced lies now. You had a bit of class. Miss you hun xxx 

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Ach, I do miss the old days. Back when you were writing a book to help people understand conspiracies and literally doctoring evidence. Nobody puts in that sort of time and care anymore. It’s all grotty links to Twitter and bare faced lies now. You had a bit of class. Miss you hun xxx 

"literally doctoring evidence." Like what, putting a red cross in photoshop over some thing that I mistakenly though was wrong in that Syria thread? Yeah that's a really serious crime if you mean that. If not, not sure what you're on about.

Starmer has problems with authoritarianism and people all over the country can see that, not my fault. Deflecting and/or having a go at people pointing it out isn't going to solve that.

This is one of the reasons I avoid this thread. Maybe if stupid cunts like Wes Streeting weren't talking about smoking bans I'd not have posted in the first place. Will be glad to get back out of here shortly.

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

"literally doctoring evidence." Like what, putting a red cross in photoshop over some thing that I mistakenly though was wrong in that Syria thread? Yeah that's a really serious crime if you mean that. If not, not sure what you're on about.

Starmer has problems with authoritarianism and people all over the country can see that, not my fault. Deflecting and/or having a go at people pointing it out isn't going to solve that.

This is one of the reasons I avoid this thread. Maybe if stupid cunts like Wes Streeting weren't talking about smoking bans I'd not have posted in the first place. Will be glad to get back out of here shortly.

Yes, photoshopping evidence to make it look like something else. Anyway, was just poking fun at the old days. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yes, photoshopping evidence to make it look like something else. Anyway, was just poking fun at the old days. 

I made no attempt to deny or hide it was me that did that from the off as far as I remember, I think the main issue for me was that I got it wrong and was glad you pointed it out at the time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I made no attempt to deny or hide it was me that did that from the off as far as I remember, I think the main issue for me was that I got it wrong and was glad you pointed it out at the time.

See, class. And a nice bloke. We disagree on a load of things, but who cares? Disagreement is fine. 

Anyway, back to Labour. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

See, class. And a nice bloke. We disagree on a load of things, but who cares? Disagreement is fine. 

Anyway, back to Labour. 

I sensed Gnashers shoulders drop a little. His constant negativity isn't getting through to the electorate as he'd hoped. Perhaps needs to utilise 3-word slogans now.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Quite. One of the major reasons for the current crisis in emergency care has been the steady and deliberate erosion of everything up-river of it - reducing funding for primary care, public health and so on - leaving people with unresolved and worsened medical problems, or just nowhere to go but to see paramedics and A&E staff: people who can't say no, basically. Throwing resources at emergency care is part of the answer, but at the same time any sane government or would-be government should be looking at every measure possible to stem the flow of patients from upstream again.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I sensed Gnashers shoulders drop a little. His constant negativity isn't getting through to the electorate as he'd hoped. Perhaps needs to utilise 3-word slogans now.

To be fair, he’s still trying to sell Brexit as a good idea; I don’t think it’s the message getting through that he is worried about, I think he just enjoys barking (up the wrong tree). Seeing some of the stuff people are quoting is bad enough. Rarely has a good take on anything. 

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I think the electorate have had a gutsful of the worst government in history tbh. 

Anyway very Dr Strangelove isn't it?... 'Don't be critical of Starmer in the Starmer room'