You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

In terms of positive news for the recovery of the economy, every tradesman I know say that they have never been so busy.

I still haven't returned to driver training but the trainers I know are saying they are super busy. My assumption is that all the people that have relied on public transport for years are now thinking about driver training but also there have been no tests for four months. I will probably return in August, not exactly excited about the prospect because of the situation but I will take as many measures as I can to make it as safe as possible for myself and the drivers.

I'm quite surprised to read about @The Gaul's experience as the public message seems to be get back out there but clearly people are not doing that. I'm actually delighted that people are still taking the safety seriously when Boris clearly is most concerned about the economy - the economy is only made possible by those people.

3 hours ago, The Gaul said:

So today is my 1st working day since a little before lockdown. I'm self employed and everything has been quiet and just wasn't worth chasing. So I've got some days in London this week, I should be able to do plenty of this work from home, but some of it needs to be on-site. So I was on the train - no real surprise on that, just 3 or 4 people. But the underground quite surprised me. I know it's quiet down here with lots of people maybe working from home till Christmas, but I've never seen it so quiet, no matter what time of the day or night. There were only 2 other people in my carriage from euston to the city and now I'm here there's barely a soul - and those workers I do see are mostly from the building sites. I'm just in a big pret now having a coffee and I'm the only one here and loads of places that would normally be open are shut, both in the city, Euston and lime Street. 

In terms of masks, everyone across public transport both on the underground and my mainline train have had masks on. But as soon as people are in the open, they're understandably taking them off. It's amazing how people who've needed to wear ppe through this crisis have dealt with it. I've had mine on since just before 5.30 and I've hated every fucking second. 

All in all its a real wake up call of how little people are out there and how lockdown is really still in effect. I can almost understand the absolute panic those Tory cunts are in. 

London has been dead since restrictions were lifted, at least centrally. You have to factor in tourists, but they’re is a noticeable lack of people central. The roads are hammered with far more cars and bikes, so that might explain the tube being quiet, most people I know will do anything to avoid public transport including a ten minute car journey taking a hour.

Central outwards is busier though, with some parts looking at pre lockdown level. Outside the big central parks (Hyde & Regents) the parks are hammered on sunny days. Lots of people are just acting as if it’s over, which reading between the lines of Alex’s mixed messaging it is...

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Been thinking of taking my girls down there for a couple of days and doing some touristy shit to blow off some steam because we won’t be going on holiday this year and we’ve been cooped up for ages. If it is dead quiet then I’m more inclined to go. 

It’s dead centrally, probably best time to go, get some electric bikes and have a ride across the city, most roads have extended bike lanes at the moment so it’s quite safe.

Probably get a bargain hotel as well.

Let me know if you’re about and I’ll make sure I’m out of town.

• Upvote 2

Had my first semi-normal weekend in months. Got a haircut on Thursday, wasn't sure how it all worked at first but was simple enough, just gave my number in, hand sanitiser etc and barbers had visors on. The Mrs has done a sterling job of shaving my head but I wanted to do something that felt a bit, I dunno, normal. 

We went for a steak on Friday night, again, wasn't sure how it'd work but it was sound. Hand sanitizer at the door, paper menus. Then went to Costa yesterday and that was sound too. Staff at all three places said how much they were enjoying being back and how it'd all been bad for their marbles.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, The Gaul said:

I don't think this is helped by how relaxed the big supermarkets have got. All of the social distancing efforts have all but been thrown out of the window. The 1 way stuff, someone by the door to sanitise the handle on your trolley, the socially distanced queuing for the tills. 

Very true that. Throughout the pandemic even the nutters seemed to think that choosing to go out was to do with bravery and not to do with suppressing the disease and halting the spread. It was all about what it could do to them and never others. 

The benefit is as we relax lockdown and social distancing protocols we need to mitigate some of the increased risk of spreading the disease. One of those mitigation actions is wear a mask. So more places are open, but perhaps when you're at these places you need to trade it off by wearing a mask. If all our behaviours return to completely as before, we'll be back to march in a fortnight. But we're supposed to be wearing masks in supermarkets and trains, tracing positive cases and their contacts (yes I know it's shit, but it's still better than none), distancing in pubs, still not going to football, still maintaining some form of distancing - where even though 2m is infinitely better than 1m, 1m is infinitely better than before. They key here is if the actions keep the R rate under 1, we will eventually irradiate the virus. 

So while things are better than before, if we want to beat this virus, we still can't just go back to before and each of these steps will help. 

The problem i have is for every fear mongering article of 'death and infection' theres complete polar opposites.

I work in a massive global organisation with offices all over the world. ONE PERSON in our org thinks they have had it but couldn't prove it. Thats thousands and thousands of employees that are jetting all over the world BTW visiting clients across asia, americas, africa and europe.

Then you have the supermarkets which i have been visiting since this garbage began to look after my folks, out three to four times a week, no mask, no nothing to all the big stores because we couldn't get home deliveries. Ive been talking to the staff - no one has been sick or off in the whole county of stores during the entire period. My sister is a nurse in the royal and its been standing empty for a long time and thinks theres something odd going on.

She was only recently tested too seeing as she's frontline, yet we are being told infection rates are up. How do they know if theres no testing going on? Now we are told to wear masks and it might be airborne. Well firstly, if its airborne you are fucked anyway, you are getting it/have had it anyway, a mask will do sod all to prevent it as it can come in through your eyes.

Now we are being told Hancock is investigating the inflated death statistics because apparently people who caught it, don't get it completely out of their system after they recover, but if they die afterwards from another cause like a heart attack for instance its put down as a covid death. I think they've been bumping the numbers for a while, and i think theres a wider agenda here, probably tied into Big Pharma, mass mandatory vaccination and freedom of movement.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So its revealed the death numbers are inflated and theres to be an investigation. No surprises there then.

Not sure the reports are saying that from what I have seen - more that Covid-19 is appearing on the death certificate due to a positive test and this may not be the actual cause of death. But that simply can not be confirmed as the virus can result in death from many causes - heart attack, lung failure, blood clots, the list is quite long. Personally I think it's a way of turning off the stats so they can be spun however they want them to be.

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The problem i have is for every fear mongering article of 'death and infection' theres complete polar opposites.

I work in a massive global organisation with offices all over the world. ONE PERSON in our org thinks they have had it but couldn't prove it. Thats thousands and thousands of employees that are jetting all over the world BTW visiting clients across asia, americas, africa and europe.

Then you have the supermarkets which i have been visiting since this garbage began to look after my folks, out three to four times a week, no mask, no nothing to all the big stores because we couldn't get home deliveries. Ive been talking to the staff - no one has been sick or off in the whole county of stores during the entire period. My sister is a nurse in the royal and its been standing empty for a long time and thinks theres something odd going on.

She was only recently tested too seeing as she's frontline, yet we are being told infection rates are up. How do they know if theres no testing going on? Now we are told to wear masks and it might be airborne. Well firstly, if its airborne you are fucked anyway, you are getting it/have had it anyway, a mask will do sod all to prevent it as it can come in through your eyes.

Now we are being told Hancock is investigating the inflated death statistics because apparently people who caught it, don't get it completely out of their system after they recover, but if they die afterwards from another cause like a heart attack for instance its put down as a covid death. I think they've been bumping the numbers for a while, and i think theres a wider agenda here, probably tied into Big Pharma, mass mandatory vaccination and freedom of movement.

I've been contacted by three people who work in M&S who say there have been a number of people going of with sickness, including people that I know personally as they are classed as critical workers but refused to take driver training as they were concerned with the potential spread.

And as mentioned, a heart attack can be caused by Covid-19 so saying that someone has a heart attack and it probably isn't related is a 50/50 comment made by someone who seems to be ill-informed at best.

In this way it is similar to the flu. Many who die "from the flu" actually die from pneumonia, sepsis, organ failure et al.

The same pre existing conditions are at an increased risk - diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma.

The chances of the death toll being inflated are pretty slim, all governments (imo) have been under reporting since the beginning for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

In this way it is similar to the flu. Many who die "from the flu" actually die from pneumonia, sepsis, organ failure et al.

The same pre existing conditions are at an increased risk - diabetes, high blood pressure, asthma.

The chances of the death toll being inflated are pretty slim, all governments (imo) have been under reporting since the beginning for obvious reasons.

I agree, this is a sham attempt at trying to make it look better than it is and a way to try and get blood off their hands. It's incredible to think that the same people who sleepwalked into the iceberg are still allowed to be at the wheel.

39 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You do realise it wasn't the government who identified the issues with PHE reporting. It was identified by an independent statistical experts Carl Heneghan and Yoon K Loke.

Never heard of the cunts.

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I wonder if the Govt would have been so quick to believe the two honourable gentlemen if they had said there is a high likelihood that we are under-reporting and the number we are publishing is too low?

And what about the other countries that have accumulated a total of 600,000 deaths? Are they going to be considered to be surplus and perhaps removed from the total in case Covid-19 was not involved?

The figures that I saw on the PHE website said that there were deaths reported as respiratory failure and there were also deaths reported as Covid-19 on the death certificate. If both of these criteria were met, then it is added to the total Covid-19 death stats. Nowhere does it say that if a person is run over by a bus that they were considered a part of the daily total.

If anything, if this is how the numbers are being reported then anyone who has died NOT of respiratory failure but had Covid-19 on the death certificate (perhaps heart attack) or they were not even tested for it then these figures would not be included so they would be reported lower than they actually are.

The point is: The Govt have been very quick to believe that what these two people are saying and will now do anything they can behind the scenes to make sure they are right.

59 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You do realise it wasn't the government who identified the issues with PHE reporting. It was identified by an independent statistical experts Carl Heneghan and Yoon K Loke.

One brief "commentary" in a sea of publications. Not even a peer reviewed scientific article. And the government acts on it...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

45,000 people have officially died of Covid-19 in the UK. About half have died in care homes. So that's approx. 22,500 that have died in hospitals. There are 1250 hospitals in the country. On average that is 18 dead in each hospital, over about 16 weeks. Hospitals are not pumping out dead bodies but that does not mean that is a hoax or that you or your sister are being lied to. 

Hancock is trying to cover for his government's disastrous handling of the epidemic. Freddie Mercury died of pneumonia but we all know it that was the true cause of death.

There are 65,000 excess deaths this year in the UK. That would be the real figure I'd be looking at.  

• Upvote 5