You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Interesting article in New York Times comparing Covid to other natural disasters

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/06/10/world/coronavirus-history.html

It concludes that in the modern history of natural disasters it will have few rivals

There's something wrong with that article - they haven't referenced the Google "research" from The Liverpool Way forum. Tell them to give it another go. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I see Public Health England estimate 17k died from Flu every year from 2014 to 2019 so in England Covid causes roughly 3 times more deaths

Obviously, to get a more accurate picture you'd need a vaccine for Covid and several more years so you could average mortalities etc

A more accurate picture would also be painted by not having any measures in place like masks, lockdowns etc. 

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

How many casualties do we need for it be officially more deadly than seasonal flu? It’s at c.700k deaths worldwide now from around 7 months, so you run rate that.. 1.2m deaths a year, fuck that’s fucking awful isn’t it? Stay safe people.

More people die in knitting accidents each year.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Hospital death numbers are extremely low now

Which is very positive as they'll know what they are doing now.

When I was in hospital they didn't have a clue, they thought my Pulmonary Embolisms were not Covid related so stuck me on a respiratory ward for a few days and then once my test come back they moved everyone off my ward except me, I just hope that I never passed it on to any of the poor fuckers on that ward with me that were suffering from COPD etc. 

29 minutes ago, Elite said:

When I was in hospital they didn't have a clue, they thought my Pulmonary Embolisms were not Covid related so stuck me on a respiratory ward for a few days and then once my test come back they moved everyone off my ward except me, I just hope that I never passed it on to any of the poor fuckers on that ward with me that were suffering from COPD etc. 

My sister runs a care agency and she said that feeling is commonplace amongst her carers. If one of them finds out they are positive, their first reaction is the horror of potentially infecting someone else without knowing. 

They are definitely more aware now and treatments are improving. There will be other variables in the mix too, the fact that less people are ending up in hospital definitely helps.

36 minutes ago, Elite said:

Must have been fucking mad that. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Must have been fucking mad that. 

It was a bit odd. Once every person and their beds had been moved, I was sat on the only bed in an empty 10 person capacity ward for half a day, until they started bringing the other lepers in. Never felt so isolated in my whole life!

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

It was a bit odd. Once every person and their beds had been moved, I was sat on the only bed in an empty 10 person capacity ward for half a day, until they started bringing the other lepers in. Never felt so isolated in my whole life!

Imagine if you'd gone into the Queen Vic and Barbara Windsor had refused to serve you? That would have been quality. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Imagine if you'd gone into the Queen Vic and Barbara Windsor had refused to serve you? That would have been quality. 

I don't think they'd have let me out of the hospital. They had 2 security with porters with every bed transfer between wards, ensuring the corridors were empty and stopping anyone coming near me. It was proper end of days stuff.

This was when I was being taking for scans and my original transfer from A+E to the respiratory ward.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Listening to the local news whilst driving the car earlier and they said out of the current 38 cases in Bielefeld, 26 of them are people who recently got back from holiday. This was then followed by the owner of the local knocking shop whinging about the fact his girls are sat on their arse at home and not flat out in one of his rooms. 

5 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

Listening to the local news whilst driving the car earlier and they said out of the current 38 cases in Bielefeld, 26 of them are people who recently got back from holiday. This was then followed by the owner of the local knocking shop whinging about the fact his girls are sat on their arse at home and not flat out in one of his rooms. 

Anyone who has decided to fuck off on holiday as soon as they got the chance is a selfish ignorant fucker as far as I'm concerned. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Anyone who has decided to fuck off on holiday as soon as they got the chance is a selfish ignorant fucker as far as I'm concerned. 

It's mental. Getting a serious dose of Covid is bad enough but imagine getting it abroad.

8 hours ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Flu and pneumonia are presently killing five and a half times as many people as coronavirus.

The whole thing is silly.

Israel reported nearly 11k recovered from Covid just 5 days ago - on a single day!!

Imagine that. 15% of the cases they have ever had - cured in a day.

Was chatting to someone who went to a local pizza place yesterday who said they tried to have him off paying full price despite this eat out to help out bollocks, they'd 'forget' to apply the discount until challenged. 

Went for some coffees in costa today and they were mithering me to have bigger drinks 'because the government's paying anyway' (wrong, they're paying half, so you're still trying to get me personally to pay more than I was otherwise gonna pay).

One wonders how many companies shafted the Furlough scheme and probably laid their staff off at the end of it anyway too.

Ah Britain, never stop being you.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Was chatting to someone who went to a local pizza place yesterday who said they tried to have him off paying full price despite this eat out to help out bollocks, they'd 'forget' to apply the discount until challenged. 

Went for some coffees in costa today and they were mithering me to have bigger drinks 'because the government's paying anyway' (wrong, they're paying half, so you're still trying to get me personally to pay more than I was otherwise gonna pay).

One wonders how many companies shafted the Furlough scheme and probably laid their staff off at the end of it anyway too.

Ah Britain, never stop being you.

Its this kind of bollocks that explains why the Tories have got a roaring majority. 

Do restaurants have to apply the discount? I thought it was their choice as to if they want to pass the savings on to the customer?

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Its this kind of bollocks that explains why the Tories have got a roaring majority. 

Do restaurants have to apply the discount? I thought it was their choice as to if they want to pass the savings on to the customer?

That was the VAT reductions. This allows a 50% reduction to the final bill. 

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I think the idea is that you pay half the price you'd normally pay and they apply to the treasury for the other half, the idea being that it gets them more business that they wouldn't otherwise have got (even pre covid before people got skittish about their incomes, most folks wouldn't go to a pizza restaurant for lunch on a Monday afternoon unless they were J.D Rockefella.) The trick here seems to havs been to charge him full whack unless challenged, then claim some more from the treasury on top of it. He doesn't get his discount, they get a third on top of their take, and you and me get a bumming from the IRS. 

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If they've applied and been accepted into the scheme, they've got to pass the discount on.