You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

45 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll take a vaccine as soon as it's available. Not because I'm worried about the virus - I'm 41, not 81 - but because I just want the hysterical fannydom to be over. If it takes the placebo of a vaccine to do that, then so be it.

A placebo vaccine? I've heard it all now.

3 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I didn't. I contracted swine flu. Off work for a week with diarrhoea. Lost a stone in weight. Best disease I ever had.

If only you had it for another 20 weeks you might have made 14 stone. 

47 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I'll take a vaccine as soon as it's available. Not because I'm worried about the virus - I'm 41, not 81 - but because I just want the hysterical fannydom to be over. If it takes the placebo of a vaccine to do that, then so be it.

Yeah, it'll be great when all the selfish pricks stop whinging about wearing a mask.

Or did you mean the poor cunts who've been shielding since the start because they're in cohorts that are extremely susceptible to the virus? Maybe the people who've been left with chronic health conditions because of it? Or the tens of thousands of families that have already lost loved ones and just won't fucking stop going on about it?

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Elite said:

A placebo vaccine? I've heard it all now.

It should have been clear I'm not using placebo in the literal sense. More a societal placebo. Much like face coverings, something that gives people the confidence to get back to normality, rather than because it actually has an effect.

22 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, it'll be great when all the selfish pricks stop whinging about wearing a mask.

Or did you mean the poor cunts who've been shielding since the start because they're in cohorts that are extremely susceptible to the virus? Maybe the people who've been left with chronic health conditions because of it? Or the tens of thousands of families that have already lost loved ones and just won't fucking stop going on about it?

You know, it's not my fault the virus exists. Just something to bear in mind.

1 minute ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

It should have been clear I'm not using placebo in the literal sense. More a societal placebo. Much like face coverings, something that gives people the confidence to get back to normality, rather than because it actually has an effect.

You know, it's not my fault the virus exists. Just something to bear in mind.

AKA It is what it is.

5 hours ago, M_B said:

Without it being tested? There is growing evidence covid-19 gets into the brain with effects yet to be determined. A vaccine may, or may not do the same. Are you happy to risk your mental well being?

When you are lying in bed wheezing, and I’m saving the world from alien invaders with the superpowers I gained from being injected with the vaccine, you’ll wish you had followed where I led.

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Amsterdam and Rotterdam brought in compulsory face masks in the more congested areas from this morning. 

I love the Dutch advice on face masks. Basically says we know they don't work, but you've got to wear them anyway. A level of honesty I wish we had in this country.

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I love the Dutch advice on face masks. Basically says we know they don't work, but you've got to wear them anyway. A level of honesty I wish we had in this country.

The Government don't want to make them compulsory and reckon there's conflicting evidence. The Mayors of Amsterdam and Rotterdam disagree and insisted on it. 

People I see
Just remind me of mooing
Like a cow on the grass
And that’s not to say
That there’s anything wrong
With being a cow anyway
But people are people
With the added advantage
Of the spoken word
We’re getting on fine
But I feel more of a man
When I get with the herd.

37 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It's the "hysterical fannydom" comment that has left me wondering how he has the never to post on here when people have lost loved ones to this. 

Just wait until you see the thread discussing the best cars when there are people who've lost loved ones in motor accidents.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

That’s a terrible post by any standards, you want to rethink that

I think what is truly terrible is pretending I don't care that people have died from this disease. It's seriously offensive and hugely unfair. And just because I don't think that face masks are effective.

Just now, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think what is truly terrible is pretending I don't care that people have died from this disease. It's seriously offensive and hugely unfair.

That argument is basically a mirror of Trump's interview the other night. Just go on the offensive by pretending to be defending yourself and try to move the goalposts before you have to answer for anything.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

8 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

Just wait until you see the thread discussing the best cars when there are people who've lost loved ones in motor accidents.

4 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

I think what is truly terrible is pretending I don't care that people have died from this disease. It's seriously offensive and hugely unfair. And just because I don't think that face masks are effective.

You being an inconsiderate cunt on this thread dates back a lot longer than face basks being made compulsory. Even in the last hour. 

22 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

You are great at deflecting your own nonsense.

Societal placebos won't work when there are local lockdowns still being introduced, as it reinforces that we are still not entirely safe and out of the woods.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, PestiRed said:

That argument is basically a mirror of Trump's interview the other night. Just go on the offensive by pretending to be defending yourself and try to move the goalposts before you have to answer for anything.

Have you been on some kind of morality course? At least the second time you’ve ridden in on your white charger recently.  You’ve not found religion have you? 

20 minutes ago, Stront19m Dog™ said:

What very strange timing:

The debate around masks looks a lot like the arguments for and against seat belts

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/us/seat-belts-masks-coronavirus-wellness-trnd/index.html

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Have you been on some kind of morality course? At least the second time you’ve ridden in on your white charger recently.  You’ve not found religion have you? 

I was actually thinking about this recently. I think the virus is getting to me. This is the longest time in about ten years that I haven’t travelled for a period of 5 months and working from home is not particularly enjoyable as I’m mostly stuck in a room doing calls. I need to adjust somehow

Having said that, I don’t think I’m wrong on the battles I’ve chosen, I just wouldn’t normally be that blunt