You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When is Violence Justified?

3 minutes ago, moof said:

Get to bed, you blert

Who the fuck are you? Some tit who doesn't offer anything at all to the forum apart from jumping in to arguments he knows fuck all about. Go and finger Penelope Tom Cruise you top gun tosser 

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

There's good people on both sides 

That incident in Charlottesville was about protesting the removal of the Robert E Lee statue. Robert E Lee was an amazing wartime general and a legendary figure within the Confederacy. The war was about a lot more than slavery but is often simplified - to it's detriment - to just be about slavery, which creates the fervent animosity towards figures such as Lee and Jackson - without the context of understanding the war. Don't get me wrong, the Confederacy wanted to uphold slavery, it was an agricultural economy. The war itself was about taxes, and the federal government levied excessive import and export taxes on the agricultural commodities of the South, they fought to reduce such measures and when that was unsuccessful they wanted secession.

It's a very complex topic, and there are still black people that carry Confederate flags in the South today. Not because they're stupid and supporting the enemy - which is what some people claim - but because the Confederate flag for them represents the South and they're proud of their Southern heritage - as they have every right to be. 

36 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

The war was about slavery.

Read what the states said when they decided to leave. Here are several examples:

declaration-causes-seceding-states

It wasn't about taxes, or agricultural products, it was about slavery.

I accept what you're saying, and acknowledge that the war was principally about slavery, but I also want to point out that it was about a lot of other things as well - namely taxes, state rights and the fact that they felt they were being economically exploited by the North. It was a powder keg of different issues. There was a series of events that led up to that point that were seen by the Southern States to be an egregious misuse of power by the North.

19 minutes ago, Boss said:

I don't know why I bother trying to add some context to things on here sometimes.

Mate, when you try to add "context" to an event that was called "Unite the Right" advertised with Nazi imagery, full of blokes in Klan and Nazi regalia and encouraged a fella to deliberately murder a load of innocent people by saying it was simply about "protesting the removal of a Robert E Lee statue" then you are leaving yourself open to be ridiculed. 

Just good folks with a different view of history and how it should be remembered though I suppose.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Who the fuck are you? Some tit who doesn't offer anything at all to the forum apart from jumping in to arguments he knows fuck all about. Go and finger Penelope Tom Cruise you top gun tosser 

Go sniff Pete price’s Purple Bellend you fat fucking wanker 

ill wipe the the floor with you ya cunt

36 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Mate, when you try to add "context" to an event that was called "Unite the Right" advertised with Nazi imagery, full of blokes in Klan and Nazi regalia and encouraged a fella to deliberately murder a load of innocent people by saying it was simply about "protesting the removal of a Robert E Lee statue" then you are leaving yourself open to be ridiculed. 

Just good folks with a different view of history and how it should be remembered though I suppose.

They were there to protest the removal of the Robert E Lee statue. Categorically, irrefutably true. If you have a grievance with me saying that, then that shows your own lack of awareness, not mine.

Secondly you don't even know what you're talking about because you think loads of innocent people were murdered. One person was murdered. 

Thirdly I laugh at your hubris thinking you're ridiculing me. You've shown already that you have no idea what you're talking about, so in essence you've exposed yourself to ridicule, not me. 

5 hours ago, Boss said:

That incident in Charlottesville was about protesting the removal of the Robert E Lee statue. Robert E Lee was an amazing wartime general and a legendary figure within the Confederacy. The war was about a lot more than slavery but is often simplified - to it's detriment - to just be about slavery, which creates the fervent animosity towards figures such as Lee and Jackson - without the context of understanding the war. Don't get me wrong, the Confederacy wanted to uphold slavery, it was an agricultural economy. The war itself was about taxes, and the federal government levied excessive import and export taxes on the agricultural commodities of the South, they fought to reduce such measures and when that was unsuccessful they wanted secession.

It's a very complex topic, and there are still black people that carry Confederate flags in the South today. Not because they're stupid and supporting the enemy - which is what some people claim - but because the Confederate flag for them represents the South and they're proud of their Southern heritage - as they have every right to be. 

The official declarations of Secession of most of the Southern States put slavery front and centre. The "complex" reasons for the war include States' rights (primarily, the right to keep slaves), defence of the economy (which was based on slave labour) and preservation of a  way of life that white people enjoyed off the backs of black slaves.

I don't know about the specific statue in Charlottesville, but many (most?) of the Confederate statues across the South were erected in the early 20th Century  - a time of resurgent White Supremacism and violence against black Americans  - specifically as a statement that the White South did not respect the Emancipation Declaration and that black Southerners need to remember their subjugated status.

Removing these racist, oppressive symbols is absolutely correct, just as driving a car into a crowd of peaceful demonstrators is absolutely wrong.

There were not very fine people on both sides. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

They were there to protest the removal of the Robert E Lee statue. Categorically, irrefutably true. If you have a grievance with me saying that, then that shows your own lack of awareness, not mine.

Secondly you don't even know what you're talking about because you think loads of innocent people were murdered. One person was murdered. 

Thirdly I laugh at your hubris thinking you're ridiculing me. You've shown already that you have no idea what you're talking about, so in essence you've exposed yourself to ridicule, not me. 

Give over.

The removal of the statue was the trigger, but it was a Nazi and Klan supporting white supremacist rally.  It was called Unite the Right, had nazi imagery everywhere ands loads were carrying burning torches.

Maybe stop just obviously parroting shite you’ve been reading on right wing US websites if you want to be taken seriously.

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Give over.

The removal of the statue was the trigger, but it was a Nazi and Klan supporting white supremacist rally.  It was called Unite the Right, had nazi imagery everywhere ands loads were carrying burning torches.

Maybe stop just obviously parroting shite you’ve been reading on right wing US websites if you want to be taken seriously.

How about you stop trying to ridicule people on subjects you know nothing about. Otherwise you'll end up - invariably - looking like a complete jackass. 

13 minutes ago, Boss said:

How about you stop trying to ridicule people on subjects you know nothing about. Otherwise you'll end up - invariably - looking like a complete jackass. 

Yes, I’m the one looking like an ignorant jackass here.

Sorry, seems I couldn’t do it.

9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yes, I’m the one looking like an ignorant jackass here.

Sorry, seems I couldn’t do it.

Amazing. You'd think after you falsely claimed loads of innocent people died or mocked me for saying the protest was about the Robert E Lee statue, that you'd realise you're wrong, but apparently not. You're still here, talking shit.