You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pelanty!

setreal

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39798344

Uefa considers change to way penalty shootouts are staged

Penalty shootouts in football could be transformed to make them fairer under new plans being looked at by Uefa.

The sport's European governing body is already trialling a new way for penalties to be taken in decisive shootouts.

Instead of teams alternating spot-kicks, Uefa is considering a new system similar to the tie-break in tennis.

The system is being tried out at the European Under-17 Championship, which began in Croatia on Wednesday.

What makes the perfect World Cup shootout penalty?

How does it work?

As it stands, teams take turns in a shootout, with the choice of who goes first decided by a coin toss.

For example, team A goes first, then team B, then team A again.

The new system is called 'ABBA' and sees team A followed by team B - before team B goes again. Team A would then get two successive penalties, and so on until there is a winner.

A coin will still be tossed to decide who goes first.

Why is a change needed?

The idea is to stop the team going second having to always, potentially, play catch-up. The sport's rule-making body, Ifab, approved the trial after looking at research it says proves the team taking the first penalty have an unfair advantage as they win 60% of shootouts.

"The hypothesis is that the player taking the second kick in the pair is under greater mental pressure," said Uefa.

The system is also being trialled at the women's European Under-17 Championship, which began in the Czech Republic on Tuesday.

Makes sense and is fairer. Gets my vote, that said why EUFA are fiddling about with minor details and ignoring the elephant in the room, namely video reffing , is beyond me. We can have fairer pelanty shoot outs but do fuck all about cheating cunts that throw themselves about in the the area to con the ref. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure it is tbh.  Say the first team miss then the second team have an opportunity to go 2 up before the first team go again. Huge pressure on team 1 to score then.  Not for me Clive. 

I spent all of 20 seconds thinking that one out.  I'm bored

Say the first team miss then the second team have an opportunity to go 2 up before the first team go again. Huge pressure on team 1 to score then.  Not for me Clive.

Pretty identical to the situation at the moment, where team one can go 2 up if team two miss their first penalty.

What this does is alternate the pressure between the teams, instead of piling it all on team two.

• Upvote 1