You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Taking Your Kids Out Of School For Holidays

Anubis

Wow,some right judgemental bastards on this thread ...you know not everyone that takes kids out of school are Ibiza & buggy people?

My kids missed the last 2 days of last term ,they're both under 10 so it really doesn't matter a fuck at that age .I took them to Marbella ,where they toured Ronda ,Estepona ,San Pedro ,Marbella Old town ,walked 4-5 km everyday, they went to Gibraltar,they saw Whales & dolphins ,toured La Concha and the forests ,dined in spanish cafes ,engaged with spanish kids ,and even managed to see the Smurf Village...I think that experience more than trumps the Video day &  the party day they missed out on plus the extra grand + in my pocket ensured we didn't have to scrimp by..we spent it far better than the airlines or travel agents would.

I'll do the same in summer ,and have no qualms about it ..those 3 days in summer are worth over 1400 to me ..they're not missing anything at that age and are far richer for the experiences I give them

• Upvote 2

In all fairness, it's not other people's children that is the issue, it's UK-raised children that people don't want around them. I should also extend that to any tourists who live in the U.K, regardless of age. Europe has tried to limit the problem by handing over vast swathes of the Spanish coast to Irish pubs and "all-day breakfast" venues but U.K.-based tourists now seem determined to ruin holiday experiences in other areas of Europe.

I would be happy to do a deal. You can have Greece, Prague and the Croatian coast north of Split but Austria, Slovenia and the Southern Dalmatian Coast need to be kept habitable for the rest of us. Oh, and try to keep the yanks in your areas as well, they are also irritating, volume-challenged bastards

Don't worry we'll be launching a Spanish invasion soon using Gibraltar as a staging point so once we've taken it we can export our kids anywhere throught it, that's as long as it's during term time of course.

If there's an insistence on kids staying in school, they should keep going right to the end of term. I remember the last few days was always a bit of a doss. If it is serious learning time, essential to fulfilling the curriculum, then make it so.

Generally I'm in the camp that school time is school time, and holiday time is holiday time. If people can't afford the type of holiday they want in the holiday window, due to supply and demand, then such is life. When I was a kid I only remember one family holiday, and none abroad. And even though it was joked about earlier in this thread, a nice day out to Southport was great. A lesser day out would have been West Kirby, or something like that.

I know times have changed and I probably sound like an old fart, but it's not a violation of human rights if you are unable to afford the sort of holiday you'd like to go on. It's not the only part of life affected by budget.

On a related note, it's Spring Break this week in these parts. The kids are off school. A lot of their friends are in Florida. Some of the richer ones are in Europe. We looked at prices in Florida and the accommodation is a lot more expensive right now than later in summer. So we're staying here this week and we might get away sometime in the summer. It's the world we live in. You cut your cloth accordingly.

Its not an excuse. I can only speak for my business but i make a lot of profit in the summer, less profit in the spring and autumn and barely any in the winter. Even it out and its a reasonable but not excessive profit. If I couldnt jack my prices up i wouldnt be in business for long.

Every business with a product you can only sell once can only work by its prices fluctuating depending upon demand and lead in time.

To be honest it's natural that any business will do that which is why I'm talking more about schools/local authorities/government taking it out of the businesses hands by staggering terms more (if feasible)

Has anyone ever been to Gibraltar? Can't shake the idea that it's like Blackpool with endless streets of gash hotels and decor from 70s.

I've got a mate who lives there, works for one of the bookies. Says it can be a bit like that but the weather is ace and he can fuck off at the weekend to some ace places an hour or so away.

Has anyone ever been to Gibraltar? Can't shake the idea that it's like Blackpool with endless streets of gash hotels and decor from 70s.

Its the worst place I've ever been to .Its filthy ,really filthy,and la Linea is just as bad..But its also one of the most important places in the history of the modern world so if you can ignore the chippers,the rubbish ,the stench,the bobby's on the beat,red phone boxes and the beer gut union jack wearing sorts then it is fantastic.the cable car,the views ,the monkeys,the incredible historical sites..I relived all those Hotspur/Victor comicbook  stories and loved it ..but the place is a a total and utter shithole

To be honest it's natural that any business will do that which is why I'm talking more about schools/local authorities/government taking it out of the businesses hands by staggering terms more (if feasible)

Why should any of those be arsed about the affordability of holidays?

Genuinely baffled as to how it's become such a thing, people have to go to school, end of, it's been like this for hundreds of years. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hated school as much as me, but my mum reckoned she'd go to prison if i didn't, so i did.

Hard shit no doubt, but the way fuck nuts on the news was talking you'd think they were trying to send his kids down the mines or something, kept talking about 'the state' taking parents' rights away.

Well yes, that's because it's the law. I'd quite like to take a shit on the pavement outside Goodison Park, but if i did I'd get arrested. It's one of those things.

I'm not arsed that he's rich, i don't even know if he is or not, but whenever I've seen him interviewed he has the air of someone who's used to getting his own way and can't get his head around the fact that sometimes he can't. Reminds me of when i go the canteen or coffee shop in work and if there's ever a director in the queue they always start rocking on their feet and sighing and shit, because they're the type of people who quiet simply aren't used to not getting what they want, when they want it.

To be fair if in the whole of October there was an area of the country having half term it would be great for me as demand would be higher and I could charge more for longer.

My eldest who is 5 finishes for Easter half term tomorrow. Yesterday they had an Easter disco all afternoon and today he watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie. Tomorrow they can take a toy in. Add to this all the inset days the school has that I have to take time off work for, I don't see why I can't do something similar.

What a load of shite, I couldn't give the slightest fuck if some people didn't like 'other' peoples children, there are hotels designed for exactly those type of people.

I'm not arsed I can afford to go away during summer time and I do but there are plenty of people who can't afford it due to jacked up prices with the excuse of 'demand'.

If schools staggered holidays a lot more then there wouldn't be masses of kids in hotels all at once to bother those precious people.

Knowsley and Liverpool schools seem to do it but only by a week or so difference.

Why is what I said shite? Because you have a different perspective? I can assure you that every word I wrote is accurate and applies to many people. And it doesn't take masses of kids to ruin someone's enjoyment, just one or two badly behaved ones (as someone else mentioned most likely British ones).

My eldest who is 5 finishes for Easter half term tomorrow. Yesterday they had an Easter disco all afternoon and today he watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie. Tomorrow they can take a toy in. Add to this all the inset days the school has that I have to take time off work for, I fail to see their argument that it's imperative kids attend every day if they don't teach every day.

And yet the minute teachers go on strike people are queueing up to stick the boot in because they've got to take time off work or take them into the office as though teachers are some kind of glorified childminders.

Teachers can't win, they get moaned at if the homework isn't hard enough or if it's too hard, they're expected to be police, social worker, anti terror Gestapo and surrogate parents all rolled into one, and now parents think they know best as to what lessons are important and which aren't.

It's just another symptom of our me me me culture. I want to take my kids on holiday at a time of my own choosing and if you don't let me you're a cunt, but I'm in work next Friday so if you go on strike you're also a cunt. if they don't pass their sats it's because you never pushed them hard enough and I'll put a complaint in.

If people know best they should teach them at home as is their right, if they want professionals to give them the best chance in life all bought and paid for by people like me who don't even have kids then, unfortunately, there are rules they have to play by.

• Upvote 1

Genuinely baffled as to how it's become such a thing, people have to go to school, end of, it's been like this for hundreds of years. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who hated school as much as me, but my mum reckoned she'd go to prison if i didn't, so i did.

Hard shit no doubt, but the way fuck nuts on the news was talking you'd think they were trying to send his kids down the mines or something, kept talking about 'the state' taking parents' rights away.

Well yes, that's because it's the law. I'd quite like to take a shit on the pavement outside Goodison Park, but if i did I'd get arrested. It's one of those things.

I'm not arsed that he's rich, i don't even know if he is or not, but whenever I've seen him interviewed he has the air of someone who's used to getting his own way and can't get his head around the fact that sometimes he can't. Reminds me of when i go the canteen or coffee shop in work and if there's ever a director in the queue they always start rocking on their feet and sighing and shit, because they're the type of people who quiet simply aren't used to not getting what they want, when they want it.

Exactly, it's all about entitlement.

It seems that lots of people these days who have children don't want to have to make the sacrifices that go with it.

"Why shouldn't I be able to go to the pub, I'll just take them with me"

"Why shouldn't I be able to go for a meal, I'll just take them with me". Meanwhile their little shits are running round the pub or restaurant, getting in the way, being an annoyance or worse a danger to themselves and to staff.

"Why shouldn't I be able to go on holiday abroad, I work hard all year round". Well guess what, so do the rest of us and we go on holiday, in school time, to get away from the likes of you.

• Upvote 1

Things have moved on considerably from your mums days mate, capitalism made the world a better place ...allegedly.

Ignore that fella ,he's just in the war zone now ,probably overdid it on the original trip,got slapped down for it and lost his shit over it .What he is involved in though affects a hell of a lot of normal people

My eldest who is 5 finishes for Easter half term tomorrow. Yesterday they had an Easter disco all afternoon and today he watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie. Tomorrow they can take a toy in. Add to this all the inset days the school has that I have to take time off work for, I don't see why I can't do something similar.

Exactly ...its not Uni entrance exams or A Levels they're missing ,its video or disco day

Section, genuine question here, but what happens on these inset days? My lads school has them every term and I'm thinking that rather than not teach and close the school, then to have them during the half term. I don't begrudge teachers 13 weeks holiday a year but we play by their tune when closing so why do I get a fine for choosing not to send my kids when I choose to? I'm not looking to take the piss, but the school closed all day for parents evening last week that started at 5pm. Kids were told they could go to a school club for £10 a go or stay at home. I'm not asking them to babysit, I'm asking for a level playing field. If I decide to take my kids out for a few days that's my decision, in the same way the school tell me when they're closing for training/organising events.

I went to a boarding school from year 10 to 12, and every now and again I took an extra week of holiday to spend a bit more time with my parents. The school always advised against it, but my parents told them to do one. I don't think there's much wrong in giving the parents a choice.

I went to a boarding school from year 10 to 12, and every now and again I took an extra week of holiday to spend a bit more time with my parents. The school always advised against it, but my parents told them to do one. I don't think there's much wrong in giving the parents a choice.

That's different though, there's a multitude of reasons a kid should be allowed out of term time. I've heard things such as that's the only time they can visit a certain family member or something, that's fine.

If it's simply a case of convenience or cost then i don't see how that's 'state interference' it's simply cunt holiday companies taking the piss, and if people are rightly angry they should boycott or take other action.