You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Match Thread - Bournemouth (H) Cherry Popping Red men

Bjornebye

Guest Alex_K

Not sure there's another side in Europe whose level differs so wildly between the first 11 and when 2 or 3 from the bench are drafted in to the side. So many players there who cannot fathom how to play Klopp's style of football effectively without a better player holding their hand & pulling them through it.

Somehow needs to find a way to win the 3 home games and take a couple of points away from home. That would probably do it for us. Arsenal have Spurs, Stoke, United, Everton in their final 4. On paper that's an ugly run -- though with our luck, by that point United will be playing the youth team in the league on their way to a Europa final, Spurs will be fixed in 2nd whatever happens, and Everton will throw it at the Emirates on the final day of the season to keep us out of the CL ..

Dunno what people want from firmino. Even if he scored one of our goals instead of brilliantly setting up coutinho the problem is defending. If we win that game 3-1 we only win it because we got ourselves out of sight by getting 2 goals ahead.

You have to be able to win games 2-1 and 1 nil. We can't do that.

He got dispossessed the most of all the players on the pitch i.e. he was the main reason we couldn't kept the ball in the opposition half.

He was also the only player not to make any tangible defensive contribution (0 tackle, 0 interception and 0 clearance).

I think Phil ran out of steam as did a couple of players late on. There looked to be some tired players with lack of movement and some very inaccurate 'passing' in our own last third of the pitch.

Ive said it before but too many of our players think they can shield the ball with their body but get knocked off the ball too easily. Bobby was one of the worst doing that with 15 minutes left.

I don't know mate, I still thought we were well on top at that stage.  I'd understand if it happened at 75 or 80 minutes but it was way too early.  I think Klopp fucked up massively. 

I'd actually have brought Sturridge on for Coutinho

Firming is brilliant and probably on the PFA player of the year shortlist, and will win the Balon Dor soon.

He doesn't need to score goals or scare opposition teams, his skill set is less obvious, it's sort of a trade secret so I can't reveal to you what he 'actually' does, but rest assured he's on the bedroom walls of almost every child in the world, they know, and we're so very lucky to have him and his covert genius.

• Upvote 1

No, he really didn't. We had control of that game and looked like scoring a third.

Had you been paying attention, and torn yourself away from the myriad of screens covering the rest of world sports that you're such an expert on, you'd have seen Bournemouth change from two holding forwards dropping back to help their midfield, to a holding forward and a pace man capable of running at our back line, and Klopp reacting to try and counter it.

• Upvote 1

Firming is brilliant and probably on the PFA player of the year shortlist, and will win the Balon Dor soon.

He doesn't need to score goals or scare opposition teams, his skill set is less obvious, it's sort of a trade secret so I can't reveal to you what he 'actually' does, but rest assured he's on the bedroom walls of almost every child in the world, they know, and we're so very lucky to have him and his covert genius.

Twat (thats sarcasm btw)

He got dispossessed the most of all the players on the pitch i.e. he was the main reason we couldn't kept the ball in the opposition half.

He was also the only player not to make any tangible defensive contribution (0 tackle, 0 interception and 0 clearance).

He played his third game in a week and still set up a goal. 

Idiot. It's statistically impossible to track his contribution, they haven't invented a metric precise enough to do it.

We just keep making it tough for ourselves...tonight has to be a 3 pts job and then with two tough away games to come a couple of draws or 1 win and 1 loss isn't too bad in terms of overall picture.

Now after this failure tonight going stoke saturday now has the presssure on and if we don't get a result it will likely be on big style against wba......

Honestly - who really fancies us to get results at those two?

We haven't won a league game without Mane. If that continues, we'll not make the top 4 obviously. I think that was another massive turning point tonight. Thought we responded really well at the start of the second half and then reverted to type. It was a big moment psychologically for me and I expect us to go on another bad run. I think we're relying on others being even shitter and us grinding out a few wins but it's going to be a real slog the rest of this season IMO

I don't know mate, I still thought we were well on top at that stage.  I'd understand if it happened at 75 or 80 minutes but it was way too early.  I think Klopp fucked up massively. 

I'd actually have brought Sturridge on for Coutinho

Wouldnt disagree with that. If he had though and we still conceeded, we'd all be saying why didnt he bring matip on and close the game out.

We just fucking panic every time the ball comes near our box. We looked to be winning ugly until the last 10 when players decided to try and shield the ball when they cant or, were slow reacting to passes etc. I mean how the fuck can we be under pressure on our throw in level with our own 18 yard line? Stop trying the fancy stuck and knock the fucking ball down the pitch.

But even when we do that, we panic with a sliced fucking clearance so it either goes into touch 10 metres down the line or straight to one of their players on the halfway line.

• Downvote 1

Had you been paying attention, and torn yourself away from the myriad of screens covering the rest of world sports that you're such an expert on, you'd have seen Bournemouth change from two holding forwards dropping back to help their midfield, to a holding forward and a pace man capable of running at our back line, and Klopp reacting to try and counter it.

Sarcastically calls me an expert, yet uses the term "holding forward".

It's a clear mistake, stop trying to find nonsense tactical reasons for why he did it. 

Wouldnt disagree with that. If he had though and we still conceeded, we'd all be saying why didnt he bring matip on and close the game out.

We just fucking panic every time the ball comes near our box. We looked to be winning ugly until the last 10 when players decided to try and shield the ball when they cant or, were slow reacting to passes etc. I mean how the fuck can we be under pressure on our throw in level with our own 18 yard line? Stop trying the fancy stuck and knock the fucking ball down the pitch.

But even when we do that, we panic with a sliced fucking clearance so it either goes into touch 10 metres down the line or straight to one of their players on the halfway line.

Fair enough.

I'd prefer us to be at least 2 goals ahead before we decide to do what Klopp did tonight, although Cou being sick may have been the deciding factor ultimately

• Upvote 1

I'm sure he is absolutely to blame for this. He was defending on the 6 yard line for a big lump like king to batter ram his way past 3 centre backs.

We were condescending towards them from the get go with mignolet and the rest of the fuck around gang playing happy sack at the back and they gleefully stuck the ball in the net 5 mins later. 40 goals is it now we've conceded despite still possibly being league top scorers. Yeah it's all down to firmino.

I reckon we need 15 pts from our last 7 to squeak top 4.

stoke -a

wba - a

palace - h

watford - a

southampton -h

west ham - a

middlesbrough - h

So more away than at home....going to grounds we never seem to do well at and plenty of ale house teams who will look to do us from set pieces and on counter.

I hope I am wrong but i just can't see 15 pts in those games.

Absolutely true, if Klopp had kept Coutinho on or replaced him with someone else people would've been saying he should have brought Matip on and shut shop.

I think we should've kept going at them, which I also said when he made the substitution, but actually the substitution or the tactics isn't the main thing here. I think it's a combination of no winning mentality, a piss poor defence and a weak goalkeeper, with those three ingredients you're in trouble no matter what tactics or formation you choose.

I'm sure he is absolutely to blame for this. He was defending on the 6 yard line for a big lump like king to batter ram his way past 3 centre backs.

We were condescending towards them from the get go with mignolet and the rest of the fuck around gang playing happy sack at the back and they gleefully stuck the ball in the net 5 mins later. 40 goals is it now we've conceded despite still possibly being league top scorers. Yeah it's all down to firmino.

Klavan was woeful, Wijnaldum made a huge mistake and Firmino was shite. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Absolutely true, if Klopp had kept Coutinho on or replaced him with someone else people would've been saying he should have brought Matip on and shut shop.

I think we should've kept going at them, which I also said when he made the substitution, but actually the substitution or the tactics isn't the main thing here. I think it's a combination of no winning mentality, a piss poor defence and a weak goalkeeper, with those three ingredients you're in trouble no matter what tactics or formation you choose.

Of course we should. Burnley should have equalised in the last minute. It was pure luck we won that 2-1.

How many really thought we'd hang on tonight and win 2-1.