You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suprising reactions

You know those occasions when you expect everyone to agree with you but are amazed when they don't?

Last week in one of the roughest boozers in Liverpool I was involved in a conversation regarding inheritance tax and the Tory's idea to reduce it.

I espoused the idea of a system where all inheritance was automatically given to the state in order for the wealth to be spread evenly to each kid in the country at the age of 21 thus creating a more level playing field. (I know the cunts would get around it somehow but let's imagine eh?)

To my disbelief, fella's who've never worked a day in their fuckin lives said it was ridiculous as all the smackheads and immigrants kids would unfairly benefit.

How can we ever win?

Anyone else had shite like this?

Nah, when you work you work for your kids as much as anything else and to ensure they have a better life than you did, what's the point in me putting loads of graft in my kid has to start from scratch?

Because the kid of a smackhead or immigrant has no say on what his parents did. Should he then be punished for their lifestyle?

Because the kid of a smackhead or immigrant has no say on what his parents did. Should he then be punished for their lifestyle?

Your not punishing them though are you? You're just choosing not to give them all your money at the expense of your own kid.

Your not punishing them though are you? You're just choosing not to give them all your money at the expense of your own kid.

Is the ultimate aim of our society not to become a true meritocracy? The need to pass on the pathetic wealth accumulated by the average person is just embarrassing and mirrors the greed of the truly wealthy.

If you want to pass something on to your kids make it your beliefs, values and a humanist attitude to life! 

• Upvote 2

Is the ultimate aim of our society not to become a true meritocracy? The need to pass on the pathetic wealth accumulated by the average person is just embarrassing and mirrors the greed of the truly wealthy.

If you want to pass something on to your kids make it your beliefs, values and a humanist attitude to life!

So I die at 44, my daughter can't have any money?

Good luck dismantling the insurance trade.

Repped for being too left wing for TLW.

So I die at 44, my daughter can't have any money?

Good luck dismantling the insurance trade.

I'm not advocating the abolition of insurance just the inheritance issue which will continue the inequality in this country. The working classes rail against the benefits the rich provide for themselves but as always shit out when it comes to themselves.

I'm pissed now after the game but for me it's a fucking given that every child should start life on a level playing field!

Surely there's a happy medium where you put inheritance tax up, especially for the wealthy and use the money for the greater good.

I agree with the OP in principle but that sort of financial equalilty is very idealistic and could barely be further from how our system currently works.