You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

George Michael

Baltar

Guest Pistonbroke

Fair point.

I just can't see how people can pop into a thread commenting on an artist they've never really listened to, other than the obvious tunes or the fact he was gay so.a book go..

I know a fair bit about Status Quo, but they were never my thing so I wouldn't get involved in that thread. Out of respect for those who liked them, and because I respect the fact people have different musical tastes.

Anyhow, the majority of this thread is the equivalent of people saying that they hate mustard even though they never tasted it, hate the Northern lights even though they've never physically seen them.. etc etc. Stop being Internet warrior brave ass wankpots. Base you're opinion on what you know or else fuck a donkey.

What about those who are prepared to listen but don't like, or wouldn't turn it off but also wouldn't buy? Not having a pop mate, but there are a lot of us who will give any music a chance before coming to a conclusion about it. 

What about those who are prepared to listen but don't like, or wouldn't turn it off but also wouldn't buy?

Not really sure what you mean. You've kinda covered a fair few options there but only on a fleeting, first listen, opinion made already, basis?

Like judging a book on its cover, I wouldn't judge an artist by one song, or an album on one listen. But maybe I've been blessed with patience or appreciation of the processes that go into recording music..

Or maybe I'm just a thick clueless cunt.

Not really sure what you mean. You've kinda covered a fair few options there but only on a fleeting, first listen, opinion made already, basis?

Like judging a book on its cover, I wouldn't judge an artist by one song, or an album on one listen. But maybe I've been blessed with patience or appreciation of the processes that go into recording music..

whatever you do, Z, don't run a poll on this one.

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm getting at on hearing an artist on the radio/TV/etc you wouldn't turn it off, but you wouldn't run out to buy said album or download it. It used to be different, but these days you can quite literally listen to a whole album on spotify and the likes before deciding if you want to add it to your collection. 

I'm getting at on hearing an artist on the radio/TV/etc you wouldn't turn it off, but you wouldn't run out to buy said album or download it. It used to be different, but these days you can quite literally listen to a whole album on spotify and the likes before deciding if you want to add it to your collection.

For fucks sake dig up!!! That hole's getting deeper and deeper.

Jo, you don't have to try to educate me.  I've had all their proper (70s) albums for 30 years.  Pre-hip.  (no, not operation).  

Their proper albums from the '70s? All two (three counting the "improper" one) of them?

Anyway, I wasn't trying to educate you. I was reminding you of the genius of Chilton and Bell. Since dementia is evidently kicking in...

I wasn't trying to educate you. I was reminding you of the genius of Chilton and Bell.

And I reckon I'm quite a bit older than you think I am...

I've no idea mate.   The only people whose ages I know are those I've met.  Tokyo's about 95, ardja's about 16, and the rest are between 48-55. 

Sorry, I get you now mate. The art of discovery of a new artist has defo changed these days. He probably wouldn't have made it nowadays but he was so talented is possible.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sorry, I get you now mate. The art of discovery of a new artist has defo changed these days. He probably wouldn't have made it nowadays but he was so talented is possible.

Exactly, plus even back in the day he was very mainstream so a lot of people wouldn't have to dig too hard to listen to his music. Like I said earlier in the thread, a legend for those who liked his stuff but for others not so much. I actually like one or two of his songs but I don't have any of his stuff in my collection. 

Guest Pistonbroke

I'm not trying to put you down you clown, I'm pointing out the obvious.

You just can't let it go can you?

Of course you're not, carry on digging a hole, dumb and now clown are just everyday conversational words/sentences one uses whilst chatting. You need to realise that your opinion is just a personal thing and not something set in stone. It is possible to have listened to enough material of an artist without being a fan, yet still acknowledge his place as a legend amongst others. 

Anyway, forget it. As I've said, you bore the shit out of me when you get on your soapbox. 

Most people's taste in music is subjective, some songs and artists can mean more to people because it invokes memories of certain times in their lives. Times that where spent with loved ones, times of loss, times of joy. I've got some songs on my playlist that even I think are utter shite, but I take pleasure from them because of the memories they bring flooding back every time I hear them.

To some people George Michael songs will be their 'trigger' songs that bring back memories. Fair play to him for having that sort of impact on people's lives.

• Upvote 3

Most people's taste in music is subjective, some songs and artists can mean more to people because it invokes memories of certain times in their lives. Times that where spent with loved ones, times of loss, times of joy. I've got some songs on my playlist that even I think are utter shite, but I take pleasure from them because of the memories they bring flooding back every time I hear them.

To some people George Michael songs will be their 'trigger' songs that bring back memories. Fair play to him for having that sort of impact on people's lives.

Top post. Repped

Guest Pistonbroke

All very good points mate. You also have to factor in the music your spouse, children and friends listen to. You may not like it in general but they will listen to certain artists whereby certain tracks might grow on you for various reasons.