You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rule changes from 1st of June

jimmycase

The IFAB has decided that a team kicking off can play the ball backwards into their own half instead of having to play it forward into the oppos half.

Apparently they got pissed off with the team kicking off having a player in the oppos half to receive the ball. Why not just enforce the rule that the player cannot be in the oppos half until the ball has 'travelled' one full rotation?

Keepers conceeding a pen will only be shown a yellow card provided there was real intent to play the ball and not just take the man out.

A player may now be sent off before a game starts but can be replaced by one of the named substitutes meaning the team will still start with 11 players.

When a player is injured and the opponent gets a yellow or red card, the injured player can now receive quick treatment on the pitch and not have to leave the field for treatment

Im a bit pissed and tired, but that sending off and being replaced by a sub makes no sense, is this a wind up?

Its only if the red is before kickoff

You are going to get a shit load of pens now as players will just take out the attacker and make it look like a attempt for the ball. Its worth the risk. Fat Ssm/Pullis will love it

When a player is injured and the opponent gets a yellow or red card, the injured player can now receive quick treatment on the pitch and not have to leave the field for treatment

Actually not sure what problem this rule solves?

I see time wasting as a bigger problem - when players fake injury.

• Upvote 1

Trying to think what the last really significant rule change was - one that had a direct and immediate impact on the flow of a game in general. I reckon it was the back-pass rule, and I think it was Euro 92 when it was debuted.

Trying to think what the last really significant rule change was - one that had a direct and immediate impact on the flow of a game in general. I reckon it was the back-pass rule, and I think it was Euro 92 when it was debuted.

Golden and Silver goals rule, I reckon. 

Quite liked the Golden Goal rule, worked well for us and France. I can see the unfairness for the other team though should someone score a calamitous own goal in the first 10 seconds of extra time though

The Golden Goal rule was a great rule and should still exist,no doubt. Extra time games have turned back into snoozefests since the demise of the Gold and Silver goal rules.

Why is it too much?

You make it a yellow card and its in the keepers interests to take the player out. Wait till we are 0-0 with Stoke/West Brom/Sunderland and the keeper takes out Sturridge and we miss the pen

I'd like to see timewasting tackled much better. Really bored of the pretend keeper injury or just anything that is done to spoil the tempo of the attacking team.

There's also currently a comical situation where the keeper gets a yellow for timewasting on 4/5 separate occasions, then timewastes after he gets the yellow because refs barely ever enforce a second yellow.

I also think cynical fouls like a trip or blatant rugby tackle to stop a counter-attack are poorly punished with just a yellow.

• Upvote 4

The various 'interfering with play/opponent' tweaks to offside, I reckon.  Killed the offside trap, alas.

Why is it too much?

You make it a yellow card and its in the keepers interests to take the player out. Wait till we are 0-0 with Stoke/West Brom/Sunderland and the keeper takes out Sturridge and we miss the pen

I always thought that to award a penalty and to send off the keeper was to penalize the team twice.

And not all penalties are deliberate from keepers. Plus a lot of the time the striker is looking for the penalty. A penalty + yellow card is good middle ground.

Wait till we are 0-0 with Stoke/West Brom/Sunderland and their striker dives in the box when Ming breathes on him.

I'd like to see timewasting tackled much better. Really bored of the pretend keeper injury or just anything that is done to spoil the tempo of the attacking team.

There's also currently a comical situation where the keeper gets a yellow for timewasting on 4/5 separate occasions, then timewastes after he gets the yellow because refs barely ever enforce a second yellow.

I also think cynical fouls like a trip or blatant rugby tackle to stop a counter-attack are poorly punished with just a yellow.

They allow this every single game, not to mention players walking off the field slowly, taking forever with throw-ins...then they claim that using video technology for decisions would slow the game down too much! 

They allow this every single game, not to mention players walking off the field slowly, taking forever with throw-ins...then they claim that using video technology for decisions would slow the game down too much! 

For fans at least, couldn't it be done that there's a clock showing the end time of each half that is shown during the half. You could actually see when additional time is being added on by the officials.

I love cynical fouls to stop counter-attacks. It reminds me of watching Serie A on channel four.

• Upvote 3