You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Panama Papers

cloggypop

Nothing on this on the Independent website as yet. Is its owner implicated, by any chance?

Seems to be the top story on the Independent website. Suspect light cover on a Sunday evening is more to blame than some conspiracy of silence.

Seems to be the top story on the Independent website. Suspect light cover on a Sunday evening is more to blame than some conspiracy of silence.

My second thought was: once quality newspaper turned increasingly shite website.

Nevertheless, it's owner is an interesting character...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Guest Pistonbroke

Imagine you had that much cash that you had to hide loads of it

They are all aiming at being the richest person in the graveyard. 

If the main thing this tells us is a few tinpot oil dictators are dodgy, plus the usual finger pointing at Russia and China, then it's not that useful. As someone said above, tell us about western politicians, leaders and companies. We have (supposedly) the rule of law, so maybe something could be done about proven illegal activity.

I don't think what the likes of Cameron's dad has done is illegal. Morally it's dubious. It's one thing to have a company abroad that makes it's money abroad so you aren't really syphoning money out the country you are based in,  but to create a make believe company that exists purely to take advantage of that tax loophole is unethical. I'd personally say it's far more unethical from a politician who on such matters as tax or other areas were there could be conflict of interest, they should be held to a far higher standard. It's said the golden rule is whoever has the gold makes the rules, it's certainly true. Our politicians for too long have been able to treat the Country, it's services, assets and finances like their own little trust fund or career maker. Our politicians do not face real accountability and they should.

I don't think what the likes of Cameron's dad has done is illegal. Morally it's dubious. It's one thing to have a company abroad that makes it's money abroad so you aren't really syphoning money out the country you are based in,  but to create a make believe company that exists purely to take advantage of that tax loophole is unethical. I'd personally say it's far more unethical from a politician who on such matters as tax or other areas were there could be conflict of interest, they should be held to a far higher standard. It's said the golden rule is whoever has the gold makes the rules, it's certainly true. Our politicians for too long have been able to treat the Country, it's services, assets and finances like their own little trust fund or career maker. Our politicians do not face real accountability and they should.

In what sense is David Cameron to blame for the things his deceased father did?

The sprog of Cameron senior has undoubtedly benefited by his old man swinderling the uk economy out of tax receipts. The fees for Eton alone doesn't come cheep.

Always remember my old fella getting court summons for refusing to pay poll tax when it was introduced. Threatened with jail time etc... Would have been nice for Cameron's dad to have lovely tax breaks like Panama whilst thatcher shafted all the working classes. He worked fuckin hard on the tools all his life my dad. Fucking sickening this shit

• Upvote 2

For me it's not about Cameron's dad doing it. It was legal so he was entitled to do it.

But Cameron, as a beneficiary, has received the benefit of this little ploy. And so it pisses me off when said beneficiary waxes lyrical about austerity, belt-tightening, closing tax loopholes, and how we are all in it together.

• Upvote 1

For me it's not about Cameron's dad doing it. It was legal so he was entitled to do it.

But Cameron, as a beneficiary, has received the benefit of this little ploy. And so it pisses me off when said beneficiary waxes lyrical about austerity, belt-tightening, closing tax loopholes, and how we are all in it together.

We're all in it together.

Now get back to work.

Exactly. The fucking ming.

The question is, is he still benefiting from his father's tax avoidance. Anyway weren't you saying the other day about people on the dole thanking the taxpayer every day for the benefits they receive? I'm sure the soon to be unemployed Steelworks are grateful to people like Cameron.