You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tories - convince me you're not evil

Gym Beglin

A tax on sugary drinks and sweats to decrease the cost of fresh foods isntba bad idea. But alot of 'healthy' fruits snd fruit drinks are also high sugar. Not sure how a tax on chocolate for a reduction of price of vegetables would ho down

Different types of sugar though. Fruit's fructose with naturally occurring vitamins, minerals and fibre included. Sugary drinks are just processed shit with plain white sugar added. You'd tax the unhealthy chocolates like Dairy Milk, Mars, Twix etc and you'd subsidise the stuff like Lindt and the fair trade stuff. 

It's difficult though because your getting into the realms of a nanny state, if you go too far. I don't see anything wrong with going after Nestle for example because they sell the worst type of junk products and their ethics are appalling. Not to mention their morals.

They are,but in juice form its a issue without the fibre and you still have to watch fruit sugars. Im not keen on any sugar tax or alcohol tax as the majority shouldn't suffer for those than cant/wont help themselves.

I was well overweight before getting sick (though i was doing something about it) the tax wouldn't have made a difference to me.

Guest Pistonbroke

We could just tax the fucking nuggets who vote for the shitty Tories higher. 

The Tories have four type of voters.The  rich, the middle class me me brigade, the wannabe middle class me me me brigade and lastly the utter fucking bell ends of society. 

We could just tax the fucking nuggets who vote for the shitty Tories higher. 

The Tories have four type of voters.The  rich, the middle class me me brigade, the wannabe middle class me me me brigade and lastly the utter fucking bell ends of society.

I think you'll find that already happens.

Woah, woah, woah!

Cats bury their shit like responsible citizens. They don't even waste water flushing it, so they're better than humans.

My garden is proof your theory is flawed. Although in fairness I enjoy nothing more than having to scrape cat shit off my lawn so my kid doesn't get toxoplasmosis from playing out.

I also seem to have lost on both sides of the deal on this one, when we had cats (at my wife's behest) they were house cats who shat in (or usually kind of half in with the other half spread over the side of the tray and onto the kitchen floor) the litter tray so I could have the pleasure of dealing with that, but now we don't my garden is treated as some kind of public facility for everyone else's.

To keep on topic though, regardless of which party you are in favour of you would have to give number 1 cunt politician award to IDS. A lot of people have jobs they don't like where they will cause negativity to the lives of others but at least most have the decency to feel bad about it. This prick clearly loves it. He looks like the husband off keeping up appearances but is obviously deranged. Has at least a 50% chance of being found hanging from a coat hook with an orange in his mouth and a stack of 'fit notes' rolled up and stuffed up his nob.

I think you'll find that already happens.

I reckon it would be interesting to find out.

I've said before that I reckon if you got figures for self-employed people there'd be a lot of Tories in there. All thinking they were the heart of the country's economy, all playing about with tax as much as their accountant can let them.

As opposed to the poor PAYE saps.

Stop the advertising. Stop fucking Mars Bar, McDonalds and Coca Cola sponsoring sports teams/events/etc.

You're not suggesting we live in a country where eating junk food is actively promoted non-stop as it brings in fortunes for large private companies, while those often most susceptible to such manipulation are simultaneously demonised when the resulting health implications sap public funds?

That sounds like a dangerously subversive idea and I'm sure the little onsite kid's playparks at McDonalds are done with everyone's best interests at heart.

You're joking, aren't you lads?

In which case, stop advertising altogether then.

Insurance is a scam.  So are savings accounts, mortgages, computer games, entertainment.

All possession is theft.  And we don't need experiences. 

And there is no such thing as individual responsibility, or encouraging your kid to read a book.

And parents can't compete with big companies, who brainwash children to pester their Mums and Dads into spoiling them and not cooking them proper meals, and not having the time to do so, so they buy them a 99 instead of peeling them a carrot.  

I blame advertising for not being up to scratch with my 8 and 4 year olds.

Sometimes.

Sometimes it's just that people want to eat unhealthily. 

That's why the problem is that you are punishing people who might not have a choice, due to cost, or education, or time, at the same time as you punish me, who has all the above but still likes a pizza, a beer and a chocolate hob nob.

Have a pizza, Stu.

Sometimes, just occasionally, the grim and cheerless pursuit of longevity and rectitude just doesn't compete with a Capricciosa.  Thank God.