You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I miss Stevie...

Curly

Goodness, you are seething, Iv'e actually rattled you to your core. I apologize and hope we can have positive relations on this forum down the road and I hope I can one day make sure that you have a positive impression of me as a human being. 

Again, apologies, belarus, my friend.

Haha. Worracunt

• Upvote 1

It's tempting to think Scholes was this supreme controller, but then you would have to wonder why he was an integral part of Manc sides that routinely got bummed in Europe by sides that passed the ball around them.

Stevie, on the other hand, was at the heart of a team that was a juggernaut in Europe.

• Upvote 1

I really like Scholes, he was a better playmaker than Gerrard, but that'd be about it. Gerrard was more versatile, scored more goals, had better defensive ability. He wasn't as good at controlling the tempo, but he played behind Alonso who was arguably better than Scholes at it anyway, he didn't really need to. England would've played at least one final if they had played Gerrard, Scholes and a competent defensive midfielder as their midfield.

Gerrard is the most complete footballer this country has seen for at least 50 years. He pisses on scholes from a great height.

I think this is an exaggeration as there were a good few great players that existed before 1992. We had a few in our ranks too. If you are talking about the PL era then yes Gerrard is right up there but in 50 years there have been some great players as well as Gerrard. Souness was at least an equal during his time with us.
  • Upvote 1

I think this is an exaggeration as there were a good few great players that existed before 1992. We had a few in our ranks too. If you are talking about the PL era then yes Gerrard is right up there but in 50 years there have been some great players as well as Gerrard. Souness was at least an equal during his time with us.

According to Wikipedia, Souness scored 92 in 673, compared to Gerrard's 188 in 722, but to be fair I never saw Souness play. I'm clouded against him since his s*n interview, decimating our team and generally talking absolute bollocks on sky. The time he said that Suarez had dragged the club's name through the mud after one of the biting incidents was unbelievable. This from a guy who broke someone's jaw in the middle of a European game for fuck all.

My dad says he was made to look a bit better than he was through being a bully - there was a fear factor playing against him. This right?

Moof said the most complete footballer this country has seen in the last 50 years, not the most complete midfielder and I think he's right.

It's up for debate if Souness was a better midfielder than him or not, but Gerrard, at his peak, was outstanding in multiple positions. Out wide, off Torres, midfield, he could probably have played in defence to a high standard if he was put there. He had it all to play in any outfield position.

Gerrard is second only to Gullit as the most complete player of the last 30 years for me. Matthaus possibly pips him as well, certainly as a midfielder, but I don't think he was as versatile as Gullit and Gerrard on the whole.

I really like Scholes, he was a better playmaker than Gerrard, but that'd be about it. Gerrard was more versatile, scored more goals, had better defensive ability. He wasn't as good at controlling the tempo, but he played behind Alonso who was arguably better than Scholes at it anyway, he didn't really need to. England would've played at least one final if they had played Gerrard, Scholes and a competent defensive midfielder as their midfield.

Off topic but can't help it seeing as you bring it up.

England would have played a couple of finals if they had our record in penalty shoot outs regardless of formations, the whole narrative/perception of the England football team would be oh so different if they had won penalty shoot outs.

Imagine if Liverpool had Englands record in penalty shoot outs, how different history would have been, Rafa wouldn't have won anything for a start.

That penalty shoot outs are hugely important is a massive understatement, it's mental when you think how much influence they've had and how they shape football history.

I remember hardly anyone batted an eyelid when Scholes was put out on the left for England to accommodate Lampard, despite not being versatile enough for the role. This then led to his non-earthquake of an international retirement in the world of football. But that was before one or two comments from some high profile people in Spain.

According to Wikipedia, Souness scored 92 in 673, compared to Gerrard's 188 in 722, but to be fair I never saw Souness play. I'm clouded against him since his s*n interview, decimating our team and generally talking absolute bollocks on sky. The time he said that Suarez had dragged the club's name through the mud after one of the biting incidents was unbelievable. This from a guy who broke someone's jaw in the middle of a European game for fuck all.

My dad says he was made to look a bit better than he was through being a bully - there was a fear factor playing against him. This right?

Souness the player and Souness the manager are not comparable. Dont make the mistake that a lot of younger people who never saw Souness play do.
  • Upvote 1

I can't understand people saying they've never seen Souness play when there is so much footage of him doing so on video. I grew up watching videos of L.F.C in the 60's and 70's. Cup Finals, league games, clips, goal compilations - I couldn't get enough of them!

People are actually...