You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mancs (Home) Sunday 17th Jan 14:05

njackets

That's the thing with the comments criticising Klopp for the substitutions or starting line up. Whilst he maybe could have setup differently I don't really see it making a huge amount of difference. 

The starting line up is never all that inspiring, then you look at who's on the bench and it's exactly the same. 

It's just such a mess of unsuited incompatible average players. 

I've said it before but I keep coming back to the Roy Evans era. We'd vault between spectacularly bad results and decent ones. After a bad result or an injury crisis we'd rejig the personnel, someone like Dominic Matteo would come in at CB and have a good match, Tommy Smith would be in the Echo saying it's his best position and how they thought he was the new Alen Hansen in the youth team, or Steve Harkness would get a runout as a defensive mid and he'd be lauded, with his 'little battler' qualities seen as a possible answer to a problem position. 

But give it a week and they'd both be nutmegged by Darren Huckerby and we'd lose a match 3-0 and we were all back on suicide watch again. 

Less unstable resukts and a true upswing in fortunes only occured when we started buying good players like Hyppia and Henchoz and Hamann, followed by Mascherano and Alonso. 

There's just so substitute for talent - and we don't have any. 

• Upvote 3

But we don't have any other strikers and it looks like we're not going to sign a keeper, so therefore it does matter what we do with the midfield.

Klopp probably has half an eye on preparing for next season so I doubt we'll see a Lucas-Allen partnership any time soon. Not sure I recall ever seeing them partnered in a 2 tbh.
  • Upvote 1

Think I might be tempted to play something like this in the short term -

Mignolet

Clyne Toure Sakho Moreno

Lucas Allen

Ibe Can Milner

Firmino

Yeah, it's shite, there are fuck all goals, but any line up we have will be the same. This gives us a semblance of control in midfield with our two most intelligent midfielders in front of the back four. It gives Can a licence to get forward. The two flanks are far more balanced, Milner can cover Moreno when he's 40 yards out of position. Clyne can just stay in our half and mop up the attacks down that side after Ibe has given the ball away.

Henderson can come on for Can. Lallana for...Milner perhaps.

Mate, it's horrific. Not that I'm tactically minded, or have a better one in mind that isn't also turd. Mine would probably have Benteke with a midfield three of Lucas, Milner, and Henderson. Nothing particularly works though.

I've said it before but I keep coming back to the Roy Evans era. We'd vault between spectacularly bad results and decent ones. After a bad result or an injury crisis we'd rejig the personnel, someone like Dominic Matteo would come in at CB and have a good match, Tommy Smith would be in the Echo saying it's his best position and how they thought he was the new Alen Hansen in the youth team, or Steve Harkness would get a runout as a defensive mid and he'd be lauded, with his 'little battler' qualities seen as a possible answer to a problem position.

But give it a week and they'd both be nutmegged by Darren Huckerby and we'd lose a match 3-0 and we were all back on suicide watch again.

Less unstable resukts and a true upswing in fortunes only occured when we started buying good players like Hyppia and Henchoz and Hamann, followed by Mascherano and Alonso.

There's just so substitute for talent - and we don't have any.

It really is as simple as this.

We get blinded by our players' good games and we have selective memories over their bad games.

This even applies to our best players, such as Coutinho, who is a good player, no more.

That issue of consistency is what separates the decent/good players from the very good/top ones.

• Upvote 1

We need players with the confidence and ability to not being outclassed. There's a difference between being beaten and being outclassed, the former is annoying but the latter is truly soul destroying. 

The most glaring example I've seen of our demise was when we got beaten by chelsea in the FA Cup final in 2012. Our midfield were trying but were chasing shadows, their midfield would achieve in one pass what it would take ours 12 to accomplish. In that situation, you can have 10 men in midfield, pay them a £1million win bonus and give them a Taurine booster shot and they'll still get stuffed, it's Charles Darwin style shit.

We've got neanderthals and our rivals have got Cro Magnon man. They're wearing jewellery and hunting with spears and we're trying to figure out how to fuck a tree stump - and I'm tired of that shit.  

Depressing result but I'm getting close to the stage of writing this season off so it's not hurting as much as it should.

Looking at the positives Klopp will get time to build his squad and will go in to next season with realistic expectations, I'd take the league over the cl everyday and missing out on the cl doesn't hurt our chances as much as it would of in the past.The top teams are inconsistent and top players are going to prem sides who are not in the cl, missing out could help our league campaign next season.

• Upvote 1

Still fucked off with Hendo's stupidity in this game. A bit of composure and brains and he'd have a few goals and an assist or 2 but got absolutely fuck all. The only thing he could say in his defence was that he at least got into positions to fuck up and wasn't hiding, like Mlilner and Lallana were.

If you stuck Butland in goal and Vardy up front, we would be 10 points further up the table

At least.

That's assuming players in good form for smaller clubs in the division could replicate their performances here, which there has been very little evidence of over the past decade or so.

That's assuming players in good form for smaller clubs in the division could replicate their performances here, which there has been very little evidence of over the past decade or so.

Indeed, that is my assumption.

Otherwise, if you always assume the opposite then you never buy anyone from a smaller club.

My comments were based on that fact that I do not believe Butland would be worse between the sticks than SM, additionally I do not believe that Vardy would struggle to score in the current team, based on the way we play, and the way he plays

Of course, neither is going to happen, but I used it as an example of the OP.

If you stuck Butland in goal and Vardy up front, we would be 10 points further up the table

At least.

and if butland spooned a few people would still be moaning about a shit keeper. mignolet wasnt at fault for the goal yesterday. Ive called him out on more than one ocassion but the shit he's getting over the goal is a joke. He should have stood up and waited for the ball to come back off the bar? He should have come for the cross? When there's 3 or 4 of our defenders going for it and they all missed? its not like that ball was in the 6 yard box or even on the edge.

Section your last two posts are absolutely spot on.I suppose we've been spoilt over the years with players that could see a pass and execute it.Coutinho tries his best but the last bloke he found in space was Suarez.This lot run around a lot but get nowhere, there's hardly a footballing brain on the park.

and if butland spooned a few people would still be moaning about a shit keeper. mignolet wasnt at fault for the goal yesterday. Ive called him out on more than one ocassion but the shit he's getting over the goal is a joke. He should have stood up and waited for the ball to come back off the bar? He should have come for the cross? When there's 3 or 4 of our defenders going for it and they all missed? its not like that ball was in the 6 yard box or even on the edge.

My opinion of Minolet is not based on his performance against Utd

Its based the majority of his previous performances.