You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Daniel Sturridge - 2020

Don't get excited lads, we've been here before. He's good but it won't last.

We need to sell him ASAP, his stock is as good as its going to be, with other teams seeing the quality he undoubtedly possesses, but he'll fall apart again soon.

Need to treat it like flogging a car we know is fucked, just patch it up, stick an MOT on it and hope some soft cunt buys it before it needs scrapping.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

This narrative of him being injured all season is absolute bullshit. The truth is, he was completely marginalized by Klopp when he was available to play. He didn't even get on the pitch when we were 2 or 3 up. The sentence below from the article says it all - and I don't care what anybody says, Firmino isn't half the striker Sturridge is, and Klopp's dogmatism to one system massively hindered our ability to get the best out of this squad.

The fact that only last week he tried a new system to get the most out of Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi* is a failing of the manager.

Despite being hindered by a persistent hip problem in recent months Sturridge has been available for 26 of Liverpool’s 37 league games this season but started only six.

*the "best" of Origi is still pretty average, but he is an absolute travesty as a lone striker and it's been obvious for an age that he plays better in a pair.

• Upvote 2

This narrative of him being injured all season is absolute bullshit. The truth is, he was completely marginalized by Klopp when he was available to play. He didn't even get on the pitch when we were 2 or 3 up. The sentence below from the article says it all - and I don't care what anybody says, Firmino isn't half the striker Sturridge is, and Klopp's dogmatism to one system massively hindered our ability to get the best out of this squad.

The fact that only last week he tried a new system to get the most out of Daniel Sturridge and Divock Origi* is a failing of the manager.

*the "best" of Origi is still pretty average, but he is an absolute travesty as a lone striker and it's been obvious for an age that he plays better in a pair.

But Sturridge's history suggests that if he'd have played in one of those 36 or whatever games then he'd have missed another ten with a mystery injury.

• Upvote 2

But Sturridge's history suggests that if he'd have played in one of those 36 or whatever games then he'd have missed another ten with a mystery injury.

That's the problem, when he plays regularly he's amazing then we rely on him to score goals and he's out injured for another month, I think Klopps played it right with him, he plays now when needed and that's basically it, we can't become to dependent on a completely unreliable striker. If he was fully fit and had no injury issues he'd be the first name on Klopps team sheet.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, but entertaining that theory, history also suggests that if he played in the remaining 26, he would have scored at least 15. Even if that only brough in 3 more points, we'd be sitting pretty in 3rd right now.

Maybe, but entertaining that theory, history also suggests that if he played in the remaining 26, he would have scored at least 15. Even if that only brough in 3 more points, we'd be sitting pretty in 3rd right now.

And if we had replaced him last summer ,which with the benefit of hindsight we probably should have ,we could have been in the top four and saved ourselves a lot of heartache. He was a lost cause after Suarez jumped ship. Never going to be the focal point of a top teams attack. His real problem is fear of responsibility

And if we had replaced him last summer ,which with the benefit of hindsight we probably should have ,we could have been in the top four and saved ourselves a lot of heartache. He was a lost cause after Suarez jumped ship. Never going to be the focal point of a top teams attack. His real problem is fear of responsibility

I totally agree we should have replaced him, but maybe not for the same reason you do. I don't really see how anybody could conclude he has a fear of responsibility without being his councillor.

It was obvious from day one Klopp didn't see him as the Striker for his system, so he should have sold him rather than keep him on the bench doing f all until December. That £35m he would have commanded back then would have brought in a top player.

He will go for a nominal fee or maybe even on a free otherwise we'll be stuck with him. I'd happily be stuck with him though if he signed a new contract with a basic wage plus pay as you play, but that ain't gonna happen.

He will go for a nominal fee or maybe even on a free otherwise we'll be stuck with him. I'd happily be stuck with him though if he signed a new contract with a basic wage plus pay as you play, but that ain't gonna happen.

Might actually get some regular minutes out of him then.

His performance v West Ham was very encouraging regarding him still having a strikers instinct and movement,but yesterday against Boro versus a tight and well drilled defence I thought he was pretty poor. Looked like he wanted to come off a one stage,or at least receive treatment,before somebody told him to get the fuck up and get on with it,and he did. Strange behaviour once again.

• Upvote 1

His performance v West Ham was very encouraging regarding him still having a strikers instinct and movement,but yesterday against Boro versus a tight and well drilled defence I thought he was pretty poor. Looked like he wanted to come off a one stage,or at least receive treatment,before somebody told him to get the fuck up and get on with it,and he did. Strange behaviour once again.

In fairness to him, did he not get the ball full blast in the head from a Downing free kick? Usually our lot - and players from most other teams - seem intent on avoiding contact in such situations.

The West Ham one was a job interview.

Hopefully, and hopefully we use the money wisely.

A striker who's not quite as gifted as Sturridge but can play for virtually a whole season will  be a big improvement in the position.

A striker as good as him who can put in a whole season makes us title contenders.

Id sell him now. Football has a lot of short memories and him being on the pitch for the last 2 games will be enough for a few managers to think they can be the one to get the best out of him. The only nagging doubt I have, is that he'll do a van Persie and stay fit for whoever he goes to and keeps on banging them in every week, which, in all probability, he'll never do for us if he stays. 

OIRO of £30m