You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (A) - 06/12/15

ZonkoVille77

Jurgen Klopp admitted that “nearly everything” had gone wrong for Liverpool in their defeat at Newcastle United.

Two second half goals condemned the Reds to just the second defeat of Klopp’s Anfield reign, after a performance that was far removed from their recent swashbuckling displays away from home.

A loss, against a side that remains in the Premier League’s bottom three, represents a missed opportunity for Liverpool, who had seen a number of the sides above them drop points over the weekend.

And Klopp was in no mood to sugar coat his post-match analysis.

“Nearly everything!” he remarked when asked what had gone wrong for his side. “The start, the middle and the end!

“Obviously it was not a good football game. That was 50 per cent because of Newcastle and 50 per cent because of Liverpool.

“They didn’t really create chances, but neither did we. It was an open game, but there was no rhythm from us in our game.

“Our defending in the last line was good, but our midfield pressing was not good, and I couldn’t see offensive pressing. Dejan, Martin and the two full backs did a good job, but we were not creative enough, so we had no chances.”

Klopp could, if he wished, have pointed to a disallowed goal for Alberto Moreno which would have cancelled out Martin Skrtel’s own goal and made it 1-1 late on. Replays showed the Spaniard was onside when latching on to James Milner’s diagonal pass.

“The first goal is a Christmas present,” Klopp said. “Then we made our own goal, but because we weren’t good enough today, the linesman thought ‘well, you don’t make world class goals if you play this sh*t!’

“The second goal (from Georginio Wijnaldum), I’m not interested in. It’s a counter attack, that’s normal. We have to take this game, and think about why it happened.”

If you don't feel defeats, something is wrong

Klopp had made six changes to the team which had won so thrillingly at Southampton in midweek, swapping his entire front three.

Christian Benteke and Roberto Firmino, though, failed to impress and were taken off early in the second half.

“It was not easy,” Klopp said. “We had to change, not because of the last game against Southampton but because of all the games we have had.

“If you rotate, sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. We have to think if we did something wrong before the game, and if not then we have to find another reason.

“This team has big quality. We like to work together, but today we got beat.

“We can’t ignore this. In professional football, if you don’t feel defeats, then something is really wrong. We feel this defeat. It’s deserved, but it hurts, like it should.”

The wins at Southampton, and before that at Manchester City and Chelsea, had led some observers – and some of Liverpool’s players – to entertain talk of a potential title challenge at Anfield.

Klopp, though, has always laughed off such suggestions – and did so again here.

I didn't say we were title contenders before, so why should I now explain why we are not?

He said: “I didn’t hear anybody on this side of the table talk about this! I have no problem if you (the media) want to talk about that, but please don’t ask me now about this.

“I didn’t say we were title contenders before, so why should I explain now why we are not?

“It’s important to try to be in the middle. Not going nuts when you win, and not too crazy when you lose. This is not a reality check, it’s only a bad game.”

Finally, Klopp was asked if he planned to bring in new players in Janaury, given the amount of games Liverpool faced in the coming months.

“All of my German players and former colleagues send me messages, because they have holidays in two weeks!” he responded.

“In the time between the end of the Bundesliga and its resumption, Liverpool have 10 games. I don’t need to tell you what is easier!

“But I knew about this. And I hope we don’t buy new players just because there is no winter break, because we knew this before. It’s not a market for late decisions. I would like to work with this team, if that is okay with you!”

• Upvote 2

Wasn't able to watch this game but the result was nothing out of the ordinary. Noone beats us to blowing a begging opportunity. We're still too inconsistent to put up a serious challenge for the top four let alone the title.

Well, at least the game should dispel the notion for Klopp that "training" won't change fundamentally some of the poor/average players on our hands and that he should seriously consider bringing in quality in some key areas. Because Klopp too often leaves me with the impression of being content with the current crop. 

As for the formation, I think Klopp is trying out different permutations to get the best out of his players.  But as someone said arriving at your best formation is a process and a long one in our case. 

Why? He completely fucked up today. How many of us would have put that team out and we aren't paid millions a year. If he fucked up today then he must take the criticism along with the plaudits.

I just hope he learns from it. Will he? I don't think he will as no one has in 25 years!

For some fucking bizarre reason this club turns good players and managers into shite

Don't really know where to begin here. I won't bother as it cannot be fixed. That's me about this post, not Klopp about the team.

Had time to stew over that performance and the main thing that comes from it is that our squad, despite what Klopp has said and what other results have indicated, just doesn't have the depth or quality to consistently perform to the high levels we've seen against City, Chelsea, Southampton etc.

We also really need to get Coutinho, Sturridge and Henderson fit and in the starting XI frequently. We'll improve a level with these 3 consistently in the team.

The midfield needs quality additions. Not 1 or 2. Maybe 3 or 4. Allen, Milner and probably Firmino and Lucas aren't of the level needed to consistently compete for top 4 or to mount title challenges.

We did absolutely nothing to deserve a win today. However, I think the defeat was unfortunate, in hindsight. We defended quite well for most of the game. But, the first now appears to be from a Skrtel positional mindfuck then an unfortunate own goal. The second came about because we left gaps while committing people forward looking to equalise.

It won't be a too damaging defeat, I feel. Still have upmost belief in Klopp and that he'll point out some off the errors from today and ensure they don't happen again.

We're where we need to be to fulfill our realistic ambitions this season. Got some winnable fixtures coming up and we can only hope this defeat stops any complacency from setting in and we push on.

Lovren was my man of the match. Worst player was between Lucas and Firmino.

Anyone who thinks he won't bring players in as soon as he can is living in lala land. He is using psychology to get the best out of a bad bunch at the moment. Plenty will be off their pop as soon as he can do it. He's not going to come out now and say " oh Milner is shit and Benteke moves slower than a diseased bowel " is he. He needs all hands currently. He will be ruthless as fuck when he gets the chance.

Some players have already improved, some can't or won't. The level of expectancy here is high, but he is playing in another fellas boots at the minute. And the fella in question had two left feet.

• Upvote 2

A manc fan came on talksport yesterday laughing at mick quinn. Here we go again micky he said. King Kenny was gonna walk across the mersey with the league title in his hands then rodgers was the new shankly and now its klopp.

The man needs to be allowed to get on with the job, make mistakes, masterstrokes, great displays, shite displays. If hes good enough then we ll win things if hes not then he wont. He's the man the overwhelming majority wanted and just as ridiculous as our title odds were cut on Wednesday night for a performance in a different competition will be the reaction over the next few days to this.

Leicester top of the league makes it worse because we think we re better than them. Well we have to prove that over the season.

• Upvote 2

Disappointing performance, nowhere near as bad as some are making out though.We had enough control and possession to win that game, Newcastle scored from a rare chance and it was one of those days.

The game has shown Benteke cant play up front alone as we need someone with pace and technical ability who is good at linking up, we have a few options up front who can do that.I don't think there's a problem with our ams either, they do their roles well we just need to add a star player like a Reus who gets goals regularly.

For once jp I totally agree with what you are saying.

Disappointing performance, nowhere near as bad as some are making out though.We had enough control and possession to win that game, Newcastle scored from a rare chance and it was one of those days.

The game has shown Benteke cant play up front alone as we need someone with pace and technical ability who is good at linking up, we have a few options up front who can do that.I don't think there's a problem with our ams either, they do their roles well we just need to add a star player like a Reus who gets goals regularly.

No it's not, it's the usual nonsense.  When you say "control" what exactly do you mean?  There was no time whatsoever in that whole game that I would have used the word 'control" to describe Liverpool's performance.

We were absolutely diabolical.  One of the worst games of football I've seen for a long time. 

No rhythm, no movement, no leadership.

He should have changed it earlier than he did, just to try to change the dynamic. 

Dreadful from beginning to end. 

Fair play to Newcastle, they played well.

We played like shit. Matches like these are character building though. We need to look at what the problem was and address it. As fans, we were a bit overconfident, but we all knew that there were going to be blips, rather now before Jan where maybe we can address one or two areas.

Say what you want, this is a transitional season. Klopps been handed tools he's not familiar with, and it will take some time to completely implement his strategies, regardless of the buy in from the players.

That being said, his team selection was terrible.

Lovren our best player by a mile. That's how shit the rest were.

Don't get this new Lovren love. He has improved under Klopp, slightly, but he was still utter shite yesterday.

Got turned for the goal and does non-stop unbelievably stupid shit, but swaggers round like he's fucking Franco Baresi.

He dives in all the time, rushing out of position and doesn't then chase back. He's fucking terrible. When is Sakho back?

• Upvote 1

Fearless is something I definitely wouldnt use to describe him! He's scared to death of footballers and footballs which is why he always tries to run away from it!

Untitled.png

How can you not see that situation is a result of him sprinting across to cover Divjan's man, who is casually running into the space behind him while he stares at the ball. Clyne is then forced to cover Skrtel's man and there is one left over. Meanwhile Lovren is free from any blame.

I've never disliked a liverpool player like him. His Platoon style reaction to the goal after it was him who got turned easier than Barrymore was infuriating. He's still a liverpool player, so I'll hold back on calling him a cunt, but he's close to pushing me to it.

• Upvote 3

As Rev said earlier,Sturridge should have started and Benteke used as an impact sub,we did that the wrong way round. I also hope the Can haters realise how much energy he brings to our midfield. Henderson needs to get playing regularly asap and Coutinho is a big miss as Firmino is blowing hot and cold,more cold to be honest.

I blame Lovren for the first goal for turning like the Titanic while the second goal was just a result of us pushing for an equaliser. Klopp did this at Dortmund where he'd risk bigger defeat going for the leveller. Sometimes it works,sometimes not.

I watched the game again and I have to say that as bad as Benteke was, Milner and Firmino were shocking bad.

You masochist.

Clyne had the worst game I've seen from him as well. Sturridge was shit when he came on. Lucas may have well been playing for Newcastle.

The only player I thought earned minimum wage was Moreno.

All of us were gutted yesterday because we expect better, suddenly.

Whether it's those who are thinking we can challenge for the League, or the top 4, or the League Cup or the EL.  Or just improve.

They think it because of Klopp, or indeed they don't think it because of our questionable cattle.

Yesterday does not cancel out 1-3, 1-4 and 1-6 respective wins.

A change has been made at the club, for the good I think.

Many more are needed.  Many more.

I don't think this is about optimism or about realism.  I think both are what makes this forum fucking fantastic, especially at times like this when the club is at another crossroads/false dawn/resurrection, call it what you will.

When Kenny replaced the Owl, I remember this place buzzing... I was new to it... and I read of Kenny's appointment first on here, not on the BBC or the Mirror or ESPN or one of my local newspaper sites.

I found out here.

Whether we're unrealistic optimists, or grumpy miserable pessimists, or fickle posters like me who are both at times, it doesn't fucking matter.

There is mockering, moaning, excess flattery, excess cuntery, excess tolerance, excess revisionism and all other types of excess on here.

Because we are a helpless, anonymous collective in the ether when we are on here, who think and hope we can influence each other, the club and results.

But we can't.

And who cares? So let's enjoy it.

Because we're just sitting on a computer, passing time.

And we're just supporters.  Liverpool supporters (well, most of us) waiting for the next game.

Success-starved, frustrated, angry, passionate, rational sometimes, wildly irrational at others.

I predicted on here that we could win the League in 2013/14 after our 3-3 draw at Goodison.

What a fuckwit.

The following game we lost 3-1 at Hull.

What an ever bigger fuckwit.

But we nearly did win the League.  Nearly.

Under a bloke that some people at the time thought couldn't take us anywhere near that, while others thought he was building something.

I know where I stand on that, Paulie Gaultier expressed some interesting "what ifs" on the topic the other day.

Fact is, rightly or wrongly, Rodgers is gone.

And that interminable fucking crossroad, or false dawn or resurrection... depending on what mood you're in... beckons yet a-fucking-gain.

Fun times at the club, and on here amongst TLWers?

I think so.

I hope so.

• Upvote 3

Benteke and Allen are most to blame for this result. A team with Sturridge / Origi up front and Lallana, Firmino and Ibe behind, with Milner and Henderson in midfield would of allowed us to play high energy football, press high and go after them early.

Klopp played the wrong team and that midfield three were completely non existent the whole game. Newcastle had one of the worst opening 45 minutes i've ever seen, they could barely string a pass together. We could of been two or three up before half time if we took the bull by the horns. It was shambolic from start to finish.

Fuck off. Blaming Benteke & Allen? I thought Allen played ok, Benteke didn't but there was worse on the pitch. Firmino was fucking awful, I thought Ibe was shit, he's just so frustrating. But I recognise that you need scapegoats & Benteke & Allen are usually the ones to pick on. I'm surprised you didn't 'blame' Lucas too.

People keep talking about Newcastle playing well and how we're just shit. 

Newcastle were far from good, they were just slightly better than us, which was basically slightly better than shit. 

People also would rather carry on the we've got a "poor" squad line. The squad is good. We've seen that when the team is setup right we can beat anyone. We've seen it this season already.

The fundamental problem yesterday was essentially Benteke and Firmino didn't turn up, Ibe was basically being relied upon to make something happen and the 2 centre halves didn't have great games. Lucas and Allen weren't great either but far from terrible. 

I don't think yesterday proves the squad is shit. I think it proves Benteke isn't going to work unless we adapt a whole lot to suit how he wants to play. He also needs to work a lot harder too though especially when he doesn't have the ball. 

I think it also proves Jordan Ibe cannot be relied upon to be the creative spark in the final third. Hes still got way too much to learn and frankly right now hes not at the level required to do that. Had Firmino got a bit more into the game though things may have been different. 

• Upvote 2

After Milner's attitude and display yesterday he should never play for us again.

He lead by example alright.

I must say, he really does look a plodder on the whole since here.

I can't speak for him prior to here (although I think I might have in the heat of yesterday's aftermath), but he's rank and file at best.

And his set pieces, apart from pens, are a lowlight.