You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone ever run a pub?

Redder Lurtz

Trees were planted near boozers by aliens millions of years ago to keep guard of their alien drinking ways & empty crisp packets, which double up as human vulnerability location units.

When they clock that you're drunk, it's fucking probe city, imagine being a 6 year old at a Conservative party conference after-party & multiply it by ten.

You have just ruined my local you bastard.

Your local looks like its in a cellar

I'd love to run a boozer where food is limited to half-time butties and the odd plate of sausage rolls at Friday tea-time. And money can be made that way. Keep out the riff-raff, look after your regulars (but don't indulge them too much), keep a great cellar, have the f******l on and get a couple of birds with big tits and a dirty laugh behind the bar and you're laughing.

So what you're saying is:

Don't sell much food (which is a pubs biggest profit margin) and look after you're regulars (who are usually tight fuckers, who often drink alone and are raging alcoholics) which would probably mean less families and out of town people visit (who spend the most money and help spread the word about good new places to eat and drink). Whilst paying SKY for the footy, which can be anything up to £2000 a month (or get a dodgy box and risk being closed down and taken to court) and then get a bird with big tits behind the bar (which will the bring in most of the riff raff and local perverts)

This is shit advice!

• Upvote 2

So what you're saying is:

Don't sell much food (which is a pubs biggest profit margin) and look after you're regulars (who are usually tight fuckers, who often drink alone and are raging alcoholics) which would probably mean less families and out of town people visit (who spend the most money and help spread the word about good new places to eat and drink). Whilst paying SKY for the footy, which can be anything up to £2000 a month (or get a dodgy box and risk being closed down and taken to court) and then get a bird with big tits behind the bar (which will the bring in most of the riff raff and local perverts)

This is shit advice!

It wasn't advice. And I don't know where you get 2k for Sky from it cost the pub I worked in in Woolton £410 and we'd take near £700 for the duration of a Liverpool match. A third of that for the other lot and half as much again for any other teams on an otherwise dead Monday night for example.

If you're a freehouse the profit margins on beer are much healthier and you don't have to pay a chef or waiters etc if you're not doing food. Even if you're part of a Pub-Co you can negotiate your deals these days and get your spirits, wines, snacks etc from wholesalers. You can also get allowances for having a couple of guest beers apart from your regular Carlings et al.

Your regulars are a pubs lifeblood and the trick is to sift out the alkies and troublemakers and keep it welcoming and friendly.

Then if you have a music license you can have live music on a weekend which can bring in a good few quid.

As for birds with big tits behind the bar I'm not talking about Hooters here but a bit of eye candy doesn't do any harm.

It wasn't advice. And I don't know where you get 2k for Sky from it cost the pub I worked in in Woolton £410 and we'd take near £700 for the duration of a Liverpool match. A third of that for the other lot and half as much again for any other teams on an otherwise dead Monday night for example.

If you're a freehouse the profit margins on beer are much healthier and you don't have to pay a chef or waiters etc if you're not doing food. Even if you're part of a Pub-Co you can negotiate your deals these days and get your spirits, wines, snacks etc from wholesalers. You can also get allowances for having a couple of guest beers apart from your regular Carlings et al.

Your regulars are a pubs lifeblood and the trick is to sift out the alkies and troublemakers and keep it welcoming and friendly.

Then if you have a music license you can have live music on a weekend which can bring in a good few quid.

As for birds with big tits behind the bar I'm not talking about Hooters here but a bit of eye candy doesn't do any harm.

Your regulars, in a pub that doesn't serve food, will be alkys.

• Downvote 1

Guest Super Sub

Just cut a small pint glass out of a bit of paper then stick it in the corner.

Surely they would know by virtue of the fact you have Sky TV on and you aren't buying the correct package.

As for foreign stations showing prem football in pubs have they stopped it or does it still go on. I don't here of people going the pub to watch the footie anymore.

I've only read the first page cos I'm in a rush, but if I was doing it my long term plan would be a 2 or 3 year deal on retail model and if I decided it was for me definitely do your homework and find the money to buy one. Loads are closing down, so if you get the right one and it's a free house you can be making £2 per pint (depending on what you can get away with charging), plus you can do food and coffees in the day etc. You need to love it and be passionate about being the best. It also helps if you never drink while you are working, and when you do drink do it away from the premises. The old fashioned way was to drink with the punters, but too many pubs and lives have gone array in that fashion.

I think you should do it. It's better to regret the things you have done than the things you didn't do! 

• Upvote 1

Good breakfast cafes are where it's at. I'm not talking about a greasy spoon, I'm talking about a nice, well made breakfast place.

Firstly, you'll only really work mornings. You'll certainly have evening to yourself.

Secondly, the food you'll be selling is cheap - eggs, bacon, sausages, fruit, bread, pancakes etc etc don't cost to much but done nicely can get a great make-up.

Thirdly, there aren't many posh breakfast only places and done well, you'll clean up.

There you go, I should be a silent share holder.

Okay I managed to read through. I remember hearing the law that Stronts is referring to, but I think it's had little practical impact. I know a few landlords and the only one who is able to buy what he wants from where he wants to a freehouse. I can only presume that they can still tie you in through legal contracts. I don't know for sure though.

I know someone with a village pub that is on retail. They open at 2pm every day, close at midnight, don't do food and they are making a living. The fella has a job too and they employ staff. It all depends on the boozer and the deal you strike.

Also you must watch all of Early Doors to get ideas on how to have an awesome pub.

Good breakfast cafes are where it's at. I'm not talking about a greasy spoon, I'm talking about a nice, well made breakfast place.

Firstly, you'll only really work mornings. You'll certainly have evening to yourself.

Secondly, the food you'll be selling is cheap - eggs, bacon, sausages, fruit, bread, pancakes etc etc don't cost to much but done nicely can get a great make-up.

Thirdly, there aren't many posh breakfast only places and done well, you'll clean up.

There are fucking loads, they are called hotels. Loads of business people meet at hotels and have breakfasts now. Most people grab a piece of toast on the way to the daily slog. I would go for a pub!

Surely they would know by virtue of the fact you have Sky TV on and you aren't buying the correct package.

As for foreign stations showing prem football in pubs have they stopped it or does it still go on. I don't here of people going the pub to watch the footie anymore.

Get out more.

• Upvote 1

Guest Super Sub

There is a pub on Lark Lane called Rhubarb that sells breakfasts all day as well as brunch and burgers etc. it makes a small fortune on food sales.

I haven't run a pub but I did work in one for a summer job when I was at uni.  After a couple of months a new manager came in.  He said I was the worse barman he'd ever seen and sacked me.  If you need some staff I'm all yours.

Love that. Not the worst one who ever worked for him, no, the worst he had ever seen!

Guest Super Sub

You can still buy European Sky packages as this has not been ruled illegal yet in court (at least not last time I read about it). It's the dodgy cloning boxes with softcam that you will get screwed for!

So you can watch all the premier league football you want providing you buy it from Sky's foreign channels but not if it is sky UK?