You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone ever run a pub?

Redder Lurtz

Mrs Lurtz has taken on a small bar near us. It's a bar that we know well and that has gone downhill since it changed hands recently, with the guy running it leaving a few months ago and the next owners not having a clue. I'm doing what I can to help her out, basically the cellar man and part time barman, and we've put a bit of food on Fridays and Saturdays. Long way to go and it's hard work but we're making improvements to the place and it seems to be getting there. It's owned by a small pub company and she's got a reasonable deal with them in terms of share of take, plus they've stumped up for a minor refurb. The idea is to get this place back to what it used to be and take what we learn to a bigger place next year sometime.

• Upvote 7

Mrs Lurtz has taken on a small bar near us. It's a bar that we know well and that has gone downhill since it changed hands recently, with the guy running it leaving a few months ago and the next owners not having a clue. I'm doing what I can to help her out, basically the cellar man and part time barman, and we've put a bit of food on Fridays and Saturdays. Long way to go and it's hard work but we're making improvements to the place and it seems to be getting there. It's owned by a small pub company and she's got a reasonable deal with them in terms of share of take, plus they've stumped up for a minor refurb. The idea is to get this place back to what it used to be and take what we learn to a bigger place next year sometime.

If you serve egg, chips and beans with a bit of floyd on in the background - sounds like a winner. But you are missing a trick by not mentioning the name of the place so the good folk of the GF can pay a visit.

Thats some job you're taking on. All the very best

• 10 months later...

My mate runs a pub & his best ever story was about the night some bird stayed back for a lock in with him, after a few they started getting it on with each other & ended up in the pub kitchen shagging next to a massive tray of stovies that his missus had made to serve during the game the next day, anyway this bird is getting carried away & goes 'Get the stovies on my tits.', so naturally he obliges & ends up covering her tits in cold stovies before licking them off again.

Stovies must be the least sexy food of all fucking time, I'm sitting pishing myself just writing this.

For anyone who doesn't know what stovies are, they're a Scottish delicacy:-

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/663/sausage-stovies.aspx

226821443_ef56211130_z.jpg

• Upvote 3

My mate runs a pub & his best ever story was about the night some bird stayed back for a lock in with him, after a few they started getting it on with each other & ended up in the pub kitchen shagging next to a massive tray of stovies that his missus had made to serve during the game the next day, anyway this bird is getting carried away & goes 'Get the stovies on my tits.', so naturally he obliges & ends up covering her tits in cold stovies before licking them off again.

Stovies must be the least sexy food of all fucking time, I'm sitting pishing myself just writing this.

For anyone who doesn't know what stovies are, they're a Scottish delicacy:-

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/663/sausage-stovies.aspx

Best. Line. Ever.

Bit of an update. Having spent almost a year running the bar we've made the decision to quit and go and work for one of the big breweries, namely Marstons. We've been negotiating for a couple of months and we've just had confirmation that we'll be moving into one of their pubs in Lincolnshire on 29th of this month. Live-in, rent-free, full food menu and lots of "guest" ales to offer as Marstons have been pretty shrewd in recent years in terms of expanding their range.

The pub had a full refurb in February so it's mint, but it's been run by someone who thought he could just fling the doors open and count the money. There's lots to do but I'm not worried about the hard work. It's got a recent excellent reputation so we just need to work hard on the details to bring it back to what it was. We've turned our current bar round from a collapsed dive to probably the best bar in Pudsey and we've had a whale of a time doing it. Looking forward to this next project. 

• Upvote 16