You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

Created our clearest chance, got forward well, had no-one attacking the far post and twice had a good shot blocked. The one from the edge of the area in particular was quite unlucky.

Meanwhile I forgot Wilshire was on the pitch.

As no fan of him or England I thought he was alright considering his lack of games, he linked up well down the right with Clyne and looked to play it forward when there were options available. I would say I'm surprised at the BBC rating him 5/10, just one higher than Wilshire and one less than Rooney but that's our media for you.

Oh and that Alonso/Allen comment from JP is Aids in written form which confirms, if needed that he is either on a wind up or a mental, maybe even both.

He did create some good chances yesterday, was no better or worse than anyone else. Only Clyne stood out for England i thought. The thing though he a lot of times does really well up until the final pass or the finish, a lot like Lallana. Very little end product from an attacking standpoint.

Im not sure if its his injuries in the last two seasons, or if its simply that he was the right compliment with his energy and pressing ability in a team that got its creativity from Suarez, Gerrard, Coutinho and Sturridge. But he does not look half the player he did that season, obviously our team isnt as good now, but being given the captains armband he has not stepped up at all.

He was a regular that season and his pressing & energy were very important.

But the season after he was even better.

In 2014/15 he got 6 goals & 9 assists in the league.  So he contributed to 15 league goals in that sense.  That was more than Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge... actually everyone else in the squad.

Last season, struggled massively with injuries and clearly couldn't offer the same energy and pressing as he had in the past and it was hindering him.

But despite that, when he played he still made us a much better side:

Cj43lhcWsAAxwC3.jpg

71 points would have got us 2nd in the league last season by that way.

Klopp likes height - Henderson has it.  He likes energy - Henderson has it.  He's a good player.

I think we need an addition to CM as well as Grujic, as we need more than Can & Henderson.  But I don't see any reason why Henderson can't play an important role for us under Klopp.  He's clearly been important for us the last three seasons, when played.

• Upvote 2

I don't rate Henderson but some of the criticism he receives is unwarranted at times. I thought he played well yesterday. In particular, I thought he combined really well with Clyne and was good in the final third.

I think that's what he does best. When he gets the freedom to break forward and to make runs into the box he is undeniably effective. The impressive amount of goals and assists he got in 13/14 and 14/15 lends credence to that.

The problem is that his regular position now seems to be deeper in midfield and he clearly doesn't have the skillset to excel in that area. If we used him as the furthest midfielder in a 4-3-3 or as a part of the front three like Milner was used at Man City, then I think he is a good player but he shouldn't under any circumstance play in a midfield two.

but he shouldn't under any circumstance play in a midfield two.

Obviously in a two man CM, he can't bomb forward the whole time.  He has to be far more disciplined and the main job is to offer control to the side, along with his CM partner.

I think he did that on the whole when used in that position last season, despite not being at his best.  For example, against Man City in the League Cup Final - Can & Henderson vs Fernando, Fernandinho & Toure in his advanced role, still achieved 60% possession.  

If I was being critical of Henderson it would be that he needs more belief in himself as he has the tools, he just needs to have the confidence to back those skills.  He also maybe isn't the best at receiving the ball, turning and starting a new move.  He can do it, but it is not a strength of his.

I agree he's best in a CM three, where he can press more, get in the opposition box, cross more and use his exceptional athleticism.  I'd like to see us sign Dahoud to be the play maker in CM, along with Can.  At times maybe all three playing together.  Or Henderson can play on the right in a more attacking role, like you say.  But I feel Henderson can play in a centre midfield two, albeit it isn't his best role.

Milner is a CM two - now there is a no no!

In 2014/15 he got 6 goals & 9 assists in the league.  So he contributed to 15 league goals in that sense.  That was more than Sterling, Coutinho, Sturridge... actually everyone else in the squad.

Last season, struggled massively with injuries and clearly couldn't offer the same energy and pressing as he had in the past and it was hindering him.

Cj43lhcWsAAxwC3.jpg

Klopp likes height - Henderson has it.  He likes energy - Henderson has it.  He's a good player.

I think we need an addition to CM as well as Grujic, as we need more than Can & Henderson.  But I don't see any reason why Henderson can't play an important role for us under Klopp.  He's clearly been important for us the last three seasons, when played.

I agree he could do a job under Klopp, he actually fits the bill quite well as a Klopp midfielder, presses well, has a great engine and is very allround. i just dont think he should have the job of finishing attacks, or be the one to generally deliver the final pass. I mean obviously if he does, good on him. But having him perform the job of an attacking midfielder is a waste of both his qualities and taking up the position of someone else, as he is too wasteful i think, like i daid for every good pass or shot there are too many missed. I dont think he is captains material. However i most certainly think he can do a job.

• 1 month later...

I feel Henderson is very much the forgotten man in the squad, he seems to be written off by the majority, I've been guilty of it too I must admit. But the lad has a lot of attributes thst Klopp looks for in the middle of the park. It's just a question can he get himself back to the fitness levels of 13/14 and 14/15 if he can he'll remain a big asset to us. His energy and pressing was right up there with the very best of them.

As he said in the interview it depends on how Klopp wants us to play. If we line up with 2 deep lying midfielders I think he'll struggle because it really negates all his attributes and Jordan just doesn't have the skill set to dominate and control a midfield from deep. He's very good at running beyond the front man and his assist tally shows he can play a great pass and cross, his finishing needs huge improvement however. That said with our selection of midfielders Can, Henderson, Milner, Lucas, Wijnaldum and Grujic I can't see Klopp going for 2 deep, 3 looks the more likely.

• Upvote 1

Cj43lhcWsAAxwC3.jpg

This was repped by Code. Don't know if mentioned already.

• Upvote 1

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)